Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
she will get life which is much better than doing this all forever..this trial is taking too long we will all be geriatric messes by the time this is over..already my hair is getting more gray

This is why it is extremely important to be honest during jury questioning. I couldn't vote for DP. But when you say you can and then you vote guilty of murder one, with aggravation, you had better be willing to go all the way. I imagine it is something like 11 for DP and one hold out. I do not for one minute believe those who are for the DP will vote for life. Jodi is not remorseful. She is vain and hateful and spiteful. I just pray for the jurors right now.

The Alexander family broke down. They are in anguish. Please pray for them.

No. We would have to have a mini trial as the evidence has to be explained to them. This has got to be brutal for the Alexanders.

I am very surprized at how short a time they deliberated before wanting to come and tell the court. What follows is theory only..... I hope it's not true, but could one of the jurors just flat out said, "I'll never go for DP, no matter what, ever"?

Then that person should be kicked off because they all agreed before the trial started that they would be able to give the death penalty. For someone to say now that there's no way they could give anyone the death penalty is just wrong and they should be in trouble for that.

If they have to get a new jury for this phase, will it be people that have not heard about this trial???? If that is the case where will they find them? Under rocks.

i am sick to my stomach! can't stand seeing the Alexanders cry anymore!!!

I hope that jury heard and saw Sam sobbing just now.

Looks like a new jury will have to be seated. And since Jodi is so damn smart and did all those numerous interviews last night there is no way a impartial jury will be found. She's going to end up getting life.

Let's hope that Stephens doesn't give her a chance at parole. But there will be an all out war from her defense to convince Stephens that she deserves a second chance OUTSIDE the walls of a jail.l

The only conclusion is that someone on the jury was not truthful when they said they COULD give the DP - because if they cannot for this - they cannot for ANYONE - imho

I don't understand what just happened. Did the jury say they were deadlocked?

Why would they say this after only 3 hours of deliberation? Is this a long time for deliberations in this phase?

I believe the question was "What if" and not that they were deadlocked. It is possible someone is on the fence.

She poisoned a potential new jury pool last night should one need to be empaneled.

I'm of a mind that was entirely intentional. It will do her no good in the long run. This is just delaying the inevitable for her at this point.

I thought there might be a problem when the verdict was rendered and 5 jurors found premeditated, 0 found felony murder, and 7 found both premeditated and felony. One, if not all of, those 5 jurors is probably the hold out. But why? Why can't they see this convicted murderer for what she really is and sentence her appropriately, to death? Is it her age, her looks, what?

I don't understand what just happened. Did the jury say they were deadlocked?

Why would they say this after only 3 hours of deliberation? Is this a long time for deliberations in this phase?

Yes. They said they could not come to a unanimous verdict.

I'm hoping they come to a decision, even if Life. This MUST end for this family. I took one look at Steven and Sam and I think he will have a nervous breakdown if another few months of trial. Not worth it. They NEED this to end.
I hope the jury looked over at them, and saw how cowardly it is that they only tried for two hours before giving up. I wish they would try for a week before they give up. WOW

I wonder, wonder if there is a death penalty opponent on the jury who covertly went through the process knowing they would never give death.

I'm just so sorry, but I would need a shock belt! I would make that sister at the dahmer trial look like she just wanted a hug... just saying.

I cant watch this monster anymore today. I'm not blaming anyone, but someone on the jury is going to feel like **** on toast when they get to see the real jodi in action.

Just a reminder of what the Andriano jury went through

"They gathered in the jury room Dec. 16 to consider whether there were reasons for sparing Andriano's life.

It took four days.

The sometimes-heated deliberations dramatically changed the case's outcome, with a split jury gradually shifting toward the death verdict.

When the deliberations began, the nine women and three men took a vote. Only three supported a death sentence, with four favoring a life sentence and the others undecided, said juror Mary Fobes, 74, of Mesa.

Catalano said he wasn't sure.

"I still hadn't made up my mind. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt," he said.

After one day, the jury went home for a three-day weekend that some called full of soul searching.

When they reconvened, Catalano gave a pivotal speech outlining his reasons for supporting a death sentence, and the vote swung to 11-1 in favor of execution, Fobes said.

"It was very passionate on why he thought she deserved the death penalty," Fobes said. "The more I thought about it, how could she be so brutal? She must have totally flipped her wig. I don't know how anyone could do that."

But the jury was on the verge of a deadlock, with one holdout, a senior citizen from Gilbert, saying he was adamantly against the death penalty.

On the third day of deliberations, jurors took turns discussing each of 23 reasons listed by the defense for sparing Andriano's life, the mitigating factors, weighing whether they were sufficient cause for leniency.

They included that Andriano was a good mother to her children and had signed up at age 19 for missionary work when in Mexicali, Mexico, for the 91st Psalm Church, now the Harvest Family Church in Casa Grande.

Catalano said he gave all the mitigating factors some weight, but in the end, they were not enough.

"Does a good mother brutally murder her husband?" he said.

Percy said she also considered the arguments against execution, but on balance, "we could not find mitigating factors that overwhelmed the cruelty. To me, to everybody there, the knife wound was the crowning blow. She had three chances to back off."

While jurors were discussing whether to execute Andriano, they considered that they would have no control over whether the trial judge, Brian Ishikawa, would give her life in prison with or without parole, she said.

Jurors did not want to see a 25 years to life sentence.

"We also knew with the death penalty that she has an automatic appeal," Percy said.

Different parts of the case resonated with jurors. Some said they were moved by Andriano's plea for life during the mitigation phase on Dec. 16, just before the final deliberations, while others considered it an Academy Award acting job. "

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

Praying the jury find a way to talk this through. It's been a long long trial for them.

HLN says that they will almost have a new trial because prosecution usu wants live witnesses and not just manuscripts, and to find another jury that will be untainted will be next to impossible.

I'm stunned

Me too ! Absolutely STUNNED !

All 12 Jurors voted 1st Degree Pre-meditated Murder and 7 Jurors voted for Felony Murder as well.

All 12 Jurors voted for EXTREME CRUELTY.

Now WHY can't they agree on the DP ? It makes NO SENSE IMO !

If they give her LIFE w/ or w/o parole they have let down Travis and his Family !

IF JA does NOT get the DP, "You can mark my words" -- I will NEVER EVER TRUST A JURY AGAIN !

:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members