Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But it makes it hard when it comes to pronouns. If, for example, I were to say that "Websurfer said in his post a couple of pages back . . ." would I be right or wrong? Maybe you don't care (I wouldn't), but I think it annoys some people.

I agree with G&AMom. He makes a great point.

LOL

I know that is what she said but I am not sure that is what the jury sent out. I just am not sure.. I still believe it could have said what if we can not reach a verdict. I really believe that is the case. I think they took a vote and they are far apart and it seems tough and wanted to know what to do if they cannot reach a verdict together, before they start. To see how far they have to push.

It is just a feeling but this jury has been really pretty united. They all agreed to the aggravating factor. They all agreed to PRE M.

I think they need to talk through it all.. But I dont' think this soon, They would have been deadlocked. I just don't.
All 12 agreed to premeditation AND 7 also found her guilty of felony murder. Unanimous verdict on the aggravator of cruelty. They are doing what it takes to reach a unanimous verdict in the final phase. Patience, faith, prayers and respect for the people who have given nearly six months of their lives to this case.

I am getting confused after reading the last couple of pages in this thread. I thought that the jury was now deciding....

A) there are mitigating factors so she gets LIFE
B) there are no mitigating factors so she gets DEATH
C) they are split/hung so mistrial for sentencing

Is that correct or not?

JM was very clear that if they could not find "any" mitigating factors they had to come back with a verdict of DP. That is in their instructions and he said it is very clear.
He then went on to say that they find some degree of mitigation but that it wasn't enough to be considered enough for LWOP.

Well, at least we did not get a 'jury is unable to reach a verdict' during the guilt/innocence phase!

It was awfully early into deliberations for the Jury to state they could not be unanimous. Much work ahead of them :please:

I agree it is waaaaay too early to throw in the towel. On the other hand maybe there is someone saying "no matter how long we sit here I am not going to change my mind"...some people could have that attitude.

They question was asked by juror # 18- "what if"

She answered his question as though they had not agreed BUT his question was "WHAT IF"

This has been my thought all day - was he just "wondering" what would happen because he's unsure of what he wants to do and is asking based on his own thoughts? Did the jury not know he was asking that question? Or was it a group question because they're having trouble? If it was just that one juror's question, maybe he is just trying to gather all info about their deliberations... My head is spinning.

OT; A dear friend of mine went in for surgery today and something happened with her lungs and she is now in ICU.....I am asking for everyone to please please pray for her right now....her name is Elizabeth.....thank you

{{{{{{Elizabeth}}}}}

I hope it's OK to bring over Mormon Attorney's whole post, so that it isn't lost in a closed thread:

We need to be fair. I have posted this several times, but it applies more than ever now. All of us who believe in the death penalty would be death penalty qualified jurors. That is an ENTIRELY different thing than putting someone to death. The difficulty is that you and I (and probably everyone of those jurors) can sit behind our screens and ask for the death penalty, but it is VERY different being one of the twelve in a small room knowing that you are part of taking someone's life. I think we know enough about this jury by now to know they were truthful, that they have weighed the evidence, and that they are strong. They have faced many hard decisions and made the difficult choice presented to them.

I have been jury coordinator on several death penalty trials. I have had one jury deadlocked. It was as painful for the one holding out as the ones who were for the death penalty. There were many tears and heartache. A jury who goes through this type of trauma together is bonded. They likely trust one another. To be a 'hold out' is a difficult thing - it rests on personal conviction about the case.

Keep in mind two things:
1. Being death penalty qualified does NOT mean you have promised to give the death penalty. Please give these jurors credit. They have sacrificed much and have deliberated carefully on all matters. If one or two believe she is too young to be put to death, they have to live with themselves later. It is important to respect the process. As much as we all sit here begging for what we want, please keep in mind that these jurors are in a much different position. They know that their individual votes will cause life or death. It is a weighty matter for ANYONE with a conscience.

2. Just because they asked what will happen does not mean they are deadlocked. They may be asking what to do.

I trust this jury. I trust the process. I am grateful to know that we have 12 strong jurors on this case. This isn't a decision to be made lightly. I promise you that even if all 12 agreed on death, no one goes home rejoicing. It is one thing to say you want the death penalty and completely another to leave the jury room with the weight on your shoulders that you just put someone to death. Entirely different. I have witnessed it.

I have deep compassion for this jury. They have been through much. My prayers are with them. I pray for the Alexanders that this can end without further trial.

Thanks for this post.:seeya:

Websurfer said in a post... LOL

Okay, so it wasn't a good example. Sigh.

ETA: I bought some Mike's Hard Lemonade for when my sister visits in ten days. Not going to have any left when she gets here. That probably accounts for my pronoun difficulty.

OT; A dear friend of mine went in for surgery today and something happened with her lungs and she is now in ICU.....I am asking for everyone to please please pray for her right now....her name is Elizabeth.....thank you
Praying, praying, praying for Elizabeth.

Not necessarily. The Andriano jurors was not in favour of the death penalty when they took their first vote.

Did they tell the Judge they were hung?

Also, do you know the numbers for and against?

It might make a difference if there is only one holdout.

Can't believe she has followers as well as I can't believe the jury can't come to a decision on this...BTW...why doesn't she have to wear prison stripes, since she has been at least convicted...

Prison stripes are seen as something that could "prejudice" the jury, so as long as she appears before this jury, or any other jury deciding sentence/guilt, she will be allowed civilian clothes.

Once this jury is excused and she is sentenced, any subsequent appearances for hearings would be in prison garb.

But I don't see the big deal about the wording? I mean, why else would they submit the question regarding if they couldn't come to a unanimous verdict? That means that, at least for now, they are not unanimous. Yes, maybe they did want to know what would happen, would they get new jury, what would happen to Jodi? I'm sure they were wondering this and watned to know before they actually marked it on the verdict box, which after that, they could not change.

However....that still means that at that point they wree not unanimous, that's why they were asking. Am i missing something?

I am going on the true question of what was asked- who knows, they may have had a few that were swaying in a different direction BUT~

The jury sent a handwritten note on an official question form to the judge. It said: “If the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision @ this stage, do we notify the judge of this on the form (verdict) or do we just tell the judge her instruction on the bottom P. 10 on the final jury Instruction-Penalty phase?”

It was signed by juror No.18.

So I think it would be unlikely that we will get a verdict today.

I think they deliberate for the remainder of the day and some of tomorrow and eventually come out and say they are still deadlocked. And it's a hung jury.

I was hoping for a verdict today since I'm on a plane tomorrow headed to DC to visit my niece and BIL and SIL.

Right. Libra can be indecisive, weighing both sides of the issue, wanting to be fair. Scorpio is fixed and serious, down to the nitty gritty. Also sits on the house of death.

:scared:

It's getting crazy!! Let's hope for a verdict soon... that "house of death" seems to be where we all want them to find their inspiration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288