Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
God bless Travis's family. God bless the jurors who fought the good fight. And God bless us... hoping beyond hope that Justice would be served today.

Travis still sleeps with angels and never ever has to feel pain or fear again. And knowing that has to be enough for now. I can't stop crying.

The Judge denied SP who wanted a change of venue for the sentencing phase. The Judge said it would not improve their chances of getting an impartial jury.

Cheers to those of you who are zen with the hung jury. You're bigger people than I am, clearly some of you have already expressed that.

The jury did great work in the first two phases.

Clearly we don't know exactly what happened during this phase. We do know the Alexanders will continue to suffer. My brain is turned inside out trying to understand how any juror could follow the law and the mitigating factors, if they were truly honest in being death penalty qualified and not vote for death. It's beyond me.

I'm out, not ready to get lectured about how inappropriate it is to react with upset and anger. My heart is in pieces for the Alexanders. I thank the jury for the good work they did earlier in this case. Cashing tomorrow's paycheck to the Alexanders since this hell is going to continue for them. Going out to the beach to bawl my eyes out into the ocean and look for something.. I don't know what. Peace out. Thanks to those who have been understanding of all emotions.

I am not normally a proponent of the DP, but I have to say that I find nothing redeeming about JA...just nothing. It's the Alexander family that I truly feel for. I will be sure to donate to make their lives easier. This is just so unfair to THEM!!!

I hope we won't be treated to a new round of interviews.

What a waste of the tax payers money. I'm a blonde bombshell (not) and I will kill again. Let me off. They just did. Hating the jury.

What are you talking about? The GUILTY of Murder 1 still stands! The aggravating factor still stands! Jodi isn't going anywhere.

I haven't posted or a long time...
I commend the jury and their public service

I weep for the Alexander family, and their loss.

My DH was on a death penalty case a little over a year ago. It was a unanimous guilty phase, and unamimous DP. I have asked him if that decision bothered him, and he said NO, he was following the law. What DOES haunt him...the autopsy photos and the crime scene photos, they haunt his dreams to this day. Not to be hateful, but I hope the jurors that were hung, live each night with those autopsy photos as my hubby has.

Fox reporting each and every member of jury declined comments to media at this time.

How special. Some of them just told the Alexander family that the life of Jodi was more important than that of Travis. Pathetic.

She will never get out. Her first few years of a life sentence would be identical to Death Row, she has to earn herself out of maximum security. The state can negotiate LWOP but she may have to waive her appeals in that case, considering at least some of them wanted death she may not risk another jury who has seen all the interviews .. I think she'll negotiate LWOP and I'll be fine with that .. JMO

i just don't get the shock, disbelief, devastation, condemnation, etc., etc., etc. - first, the monster was convicted of first-degree premeditated murder, it was unanimous, nothing is going to change that, and i don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that it won't hold up during the appeal process. second, an extremely bleak outcome still awaits the monster, whether it's the death penalty, life without the possibility of parole or life with, imo, the slim possibility of parole, many, many moons down the road. further, the monster just got finished looking into the eyes of the jurors, many of whom clearly wanted to see her die - this doesn't strike me as much of a victory for ja and the defense, or much of a loss in terms of the prosecution or the alexander family.

sadly, the alexander family will have to endure a few more months of this and, equally sad, they may have to revisit it yet again, decades from now should ja get life with the possibility of parole. nonetheless, the jury clearly and loudly declared ja a murderer, sided with the alexander family and the prosecution, dismissed ja's lies, and made sure that ja's future will be deservedly miserable.

This jury did the best they could. They sacrificed months of their lives and in the end could not agree on life or death. They deserve our respect. To those of you bashing them...shame on you! I'm sure that some of you will attack me for saying that. Feel free. It says more about you then it does about me.

Thanks isn't enough for this!!!

WHY?

Hell! I WOULDN'T! I'd want to let the world know that I tried my da*n best to give JA the DP, but one or more of my fellow jurors would not budge on and wanted a life sentence!!!!!

I WOULD NEVER CAVE INTO "LIFE" for JA. NEVER! I'd stand by giving her the DP and possibly hanging the jury- and I guess ALL of you here who are bashing the jurors - would be bashing me if I did the same.

I am disgusted by some of these comments!

I'd be right there with you! It was clear from the VIS by the family, death is what they wanted. It is what I wanted, I would not give in to life because someone else wouldn't budge. No way...absolutely no way. So the jury did the best they could under the circumstances in the deliberation room.

I really don't see why people are bashing the jurors (shame on you).

They convicted her of first degree murder - unanimous on premeditated, 5 also felony.
They found the aggravating factor of especially cruel proven.

Some jurors who felt she deserved death, stuck to their convictions without caving and giving her life.

The family wants death, Juan can still get that for them.

SO many said they wished the jurors could see all the interviews she gave after her conviction.
Well guess what, now a (new) jury will get the chance.

I am sad Travis' family can't put the trial behind them now, but please have faith in Juan and the new jury that will be seated in July.

Juan Martinez gets to use her evil media interviews in which she expresses no remorse to play for the next jury. Often times the second jury does find for death. Juan Martinez wants to help this family get the justice they seek. I hope we can all try to donate again to help them financially get through this next mini trial. I am VERY concerned for Steven.

paypal
www.travisalexander.com if you can donate, even ten dollars, please

Does anybody besides me think it would be a good idea to start a thread for support for JUAN? He's going to be under so much pressure to cave and give her LWOP - I want him to come back with both barrels loaded!

Please just use PayPal for the donations or send directly to Samantha at her Carlsbad, CA address. KCL is spent. She too has put her life on hold to support this family.

I need someone to pm me the Carlsbad adress so I can send money right away
Tia

I respect the jurors. Each person has to live with his/her decision. It is not easy to be a dissenter, but being true to your values is something I respect. If they were all honest at the outset, then they did their duty in good faith.

It's very sad. I kind of hope Juan reaches a plea deal for a LWOP penalty with waiver of appeal rights. I don't want to see them go through yet another trial like this one. Enough is enough.

AZ needs trial process reform. Expecting a unanimous verdict beyond a reasonable doubt is a monumental challenge. Expecting it twice, the second time for the aggravation phase, is extreme. Then expecting 12 unanimous votes yet a third time is preposterous. Empaneling a new jury to remedy a hung phase 3 verdict is nuts. This was one messed up, screwed up fiasco. I feel or the Alexander family and TAs loved ones.

Now I want to know, did the Arias family show up? Or were they seriously at the Grand Canyon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb