Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's like college bowl games: I shouldn't watch if I want my team to win. I'll have to think this over before I resume.
I don't think I can watch again...not until I know there's a true verdict....either way. I can't watch Travis be slaughtered all over again. My heart is breaking for his family. They are the ones who are truly suffering.

That's not fair. I'm angry too but unless you've been there, that's really harsh. They have put so much time and emotion into this. Obviously they didn't just say, "Oh eff it, I'm done." If they truly couldn't decide, at least they were honest.

We WERE there. Even MORE than the jury! They DID say F it!

Sheriff Joe saying Jodi is going to remain in closed custody, no interviews, in solitary 23 hours a day ..

I really have to wonder why he had a change of heart about that.

I'm disappointed, and so sad for the Alexanders. But really---there will be no closure for them, even with a verdict. They will be struggling with this for years to come and, while I so hoped that THIS aspect would be completed today (and supported them in their wish for the DP), this may well simply represent a speed bump.

I think it's grossly unfair to blame the jury, or to name-call (they are NOT "horrendous"), or compare them to the Pinellas 12. They convicted Jodi Arias of first degree murder. They determined there was sufficient aggravation to warrant consideration of the DP.

They did a good---and tremendously difficult job. They FINISHED their job the best they could. I believe most are leaving with heavy hearts---hearts that will become heavier as they learn the things we know that they do not yet know. (And my heart hurts for them, knowing they will see the murderess's immediate post-verdict interview, as well as the others---and experience a certain sense of betrayal.)

Another jury will be impaneled. The murderess smugly stated that finding an unpoisoned jury would be impossible. I believe she worked HARD to ensure that (and that is was a terrible error to permit media interviews before the penalty phase was complete)---but that there WILL be another jury. And I believe that a jury that has not had the burden of determining guilt will have more energy to focus on the task now at hand: penalty.

The jurors who've completed their job are weary. They worked long and hard. Perhaps viewed through different eyes, the appropriate sentence will be more easily seen.

I cannot imagine ANY scenario in which Jodi Arias will ever be free again. I do not see her being the belle of the ball in prison, where she will be the newcomer among many seasoned and similarly evil and personality-disordered inmates. If she ends up with LWOP, she will not have the resources to appeal. She will vanish. Very likely, she will be a disciplinary case severe enough to wind up in isolation---and for a woman with her constellation of personality disorder, that may be a fate worse than death. (She's not going to be running Oprah's book club and overseeing recycling. She's likely going to be on her own. Forever. Remember what she is capable of; with nothing left to lose, she will quickly become a disciplinary problem.)

Don't give up hope. This is not a loss; it's a postponement that may be far less unfortunate than many are assuming. Clearer eyes may lead to clearer decisions.

I am grateful for the jury's had work. It must have been grueling for them. My prayers are with them, just as they are with the Alexanders and Travis's wide circle of loved ones.

It's just so sad.
BEAUTIFULLY STATED BetsyB! A thank you didn't seem enough. It is pitifully sad, but it's not time to throw in the towel. Positive energy folks...

were not really able to deliberate in good faith. It HAD to be emotion because there were no facts-they didn't even put on a mitigation case FGS. There were not mitigating factors remotely related to the crime that would carry weight. There weren't even any alleged "friends". No, someone was not willing to deliberate.

I just can't believe after all that, they hung. How can they say they would be able to vote for death and then can't go through with it. I'm just so sad for this family. Their pain continues. I hope the jury gets to see what she did while they were deliberating, and I hope they regret this.

EXACTLY ! This is a BIG WIN for them :banghead:

And I bet Jodi is sititing there SMIRKING and SINGING :

"You can mark my words, no jury will ever convict me." :banghead:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

They did convict her, though. If the creature and her defense team are celebrating, it's very short-sighted. Sort of like winning the lottery, then finding out everybody else won too, and you only get 32 cents.

She's not getting out of jail. She's going to prison, whether it be death row or life. Either of these are going to be horrible for her.

I'm very disappointed, but this is not the Pinellas 12. And it disturbs me to see the "they" when referring to how ashamed "they" should be, etc. It's clear that some, probably most, did want the death penalty, and they weren't willing to risk her getting paroled some day by going with life. They have no idea how the judge would rule in a "life verdict."

We also have no idea what went on in that jury room. Right now I'm counting the blessings that there was a guilty 1st degree conviction, and there was an extreme cruelty conviction. That's a good place to start on July 18th.

So I'll take a break from all this creature's nonsense, and I'll do all the things she can't do, like: go to the drive-in theatre and watch a movie with my family, go to church on Sunday and fellowship with my family and friends, take my son for ice cream one afternoon "just because we feel like it", have an ice cold beer on a hot summer day after spending the whole day working in the yard, relax in my porch rocker on a warm evening and listen to the crickets sing (and fight off the mosquitoes, lol), curl up in bed and read a book on a rainy afternoon while watching a scary movie, pull out a board game and have a rousing game of Monopoly AND let my 7 year old be banker - ha!, get on iTunes and buy music until I realize how much I've spent and have a mini-heart attack. The list is endless of all the things I can choose to do.

I pray the Alexander family takes this time to completely forget about the creature. I hope they relax and enjoy their lives, and remember all the good things about their brother and take joy in the family they still have with them.

This will all end eventually. It's not over today and that's sad, but this is not the end. And the creature didn't win.

Just MHOO.

Thank you jury for convicting this killer.

Thank you for finding it especially cruel.

Thank you for putting your lives on hold for MONTHS to try and get justice.

Thank you for not "settling" for Life in Prison.

Thank you. :seeya:

I will NEVER serve on a jury.

THANK YOU FOR SAYING HOW WE FEEL BUT STILL CONFUSED. When your right, your right.

Amazing, I'm thing the stress of her MS USA speech, she'd have had a fog at one point, oh "F" "IT" any point......night to all huigs, kisses and love. bye

I think JM would blow any "new" defense right out of the water.

She'll now have time to refine all her lies, perfect all of her "details" and maybe convince ALV to testify in mitigation. Oh lordy, this is going to be intense.

Just moo

He has her previous testimony to impeach her.

FYI: I feel when someone says 'hello people' they are talking down to me.... .:silenced::silenced::silenced:[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree..... Did anyone else hear the interview with the woman who served on a dp case 30+ years ago - they found him guilty - sentenced him to death - guess what? STILL ALIVE and has his sentence changed to life....still filing appeals....this is just WRONG!! Hugs to the ALexander Family - hurting for each of them tonight!!!

What is this "win" talk? LOL.
You can't win after having lost the big one: aka the murder in first degree count.
She LOST and then the jury had to decide by how much she had lost.
She didn't win ****.

My understanding is → Yes. If you find that the mitigating factors do not outweigh the aggravating factors by a preponderance of the evidence, you must find for death. Attorneys?

Not an attorney. LOL. BUT, I understood there could be intangible mitigators they could 'feel'. Like if they just deeply felt it wasn't right, that's fine. Because basically, the jury can do whatever it wants. They have the ultimate decision.

So they didn't do anything wrong legally at all, IMO. It's just sad and frustrating. I don't know TA's poor family can find the strength to survive another round. I couldn't do it if I were them.

A mistrial is a win for the DT. She wasn't sentenced to death. That's a win. Chances for a deal go up if the DA decides not to do this again. Another win.

A mistrial is ALWAYS a win for the DT.

And yet, she heads straight back to jail tonight...and every night for as long as we can tell. Today, her only hope is life with the possibility of parole someday, and let's face it....does anyone really think that's going to happen?

Her days are laid out already, and they consist of waking up & going to sleep in a jail cell. That's not going to change; she is not free.

She may see herself as victorious but it's a pretty empty victory as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck