Penalty Phase

What type of statement (if any) will GA make during the penalty phase?

• Victim Impact Statement

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Plea for the life of ICA

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 78 38.6%
  • No statement at all

Votes: 46 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the whole GA wiping his hands was directed at Baez. That's GA wasn't going to let JB push him around or manipulate him anymore. I believe that during the trial, he was testifying for Caylee. He was telling the truth to get justice for Caylee. In the penalty phase, he was plead for his daughter Casey's life. No matter what ICA has done, she is still GA's daughter, and while he may want to see her convicted for Caylee's sake, he also want's her to stay alive because no parent should outlive their child.

Hard to say.
George loved his little Caylee more then life... No doubt he will make a statement about how her death crushed him.
I also believe he loves his spawn and although her accusations crushed him, he loves her enough to want her life spared... OR if he doesn't at least say that, Cindy will hang him by the nuts when they get home.

I think (with the hopes of a first degree guilty) that GA will go in front and state that while he he doesn't approve of the actions his daughter has done. He has lost his granddaughter at the hands of his daughter. Despite that fact, he still loves his daughter, just not her actions. He wants her held accountable but taking her life will not bring back Caylee's therefore can they spare her life and sentence her to life in prison instead.

I completely agree with you. This is sort of OT, but as I watched the trial today, I was thinking about what an education Casey has received these past six weeks--more discipline, accountability, and knowledge of the law than she has had in her whole life. Just watching the bird flipper get schooled by the judge is probably the first time she has ever seen such swift justice that could not be manipulated, argued with, or one-upped. Trouble is, if she ever gets out, she will be armed with an incredible amount of knowledge about forensics and covering one's tracks. She would be a formidable criminal if her current sociopathy remains unchanged. I truly believe she was planning to murder her parents and believed she could pull it off and make it look accidental. I'm still disturbed about all those pets, both canines and non-canines. How many in all--10? Well, at least George and Cindy have Lee. Perhaps he will marry and provide them with additional grandchildren who will be a blessing to them. I hope that their lives will allow them to reflect, heal, recover, and go on to be a more healthy family.

From what I remember hearing they have to be asked by Casey to make a statement in her favor. Does anyone else know if this is true?

I feel that if he gives a statement at all, it will be a victim impact statement about what Caylee's loss means to him, and Cindy & Lee. I do NOT feel that he will plead for her life. I saw the video of him looking her way and 'washing his hands of her' as he left the stand. He is d.o.n.e. with ICA. Cindy on the other hand, is more likely IMO to also plead for ICA's life.

I say let LA give it...CMA,CMA ( in a Mike Brooks voice! I cracked up when I heard Mike say this)

Who will make a statement for the victim, Caylee?

If I am not mistaken, there is only a penalty phase if she is convicted of 1st degree murder. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Can you imagine the line of people wanting to give victim impact statements? I shudder the thought, but we would be there another month!

Mistrial due to Hung Jury if we want to see Justice for Caylee. Then this can be retried correctly and non-biasedly, and ALL the players can be charged. moo

I am just curious, how do you feel the trial was biased and tried incorrectly?

If I am not mistaken, there is only a penalty phase if she is convicted of 1st degree murder. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think that if she is convicted of any of the charges there will be a penalty phase.

Found this.

The sentence of death must be the result of a penalty phase proceeding carried out according to the procedures set forth in Florida Statute 921.141. The penalty phase proceeding is the second part of a two-part capital trial system in Florida. The first part, called the guilt phase proceeding, results in the jury verdict (i.e. guilty or not guilty) on the capital felony charge. If a person is found to be guilty of a capital felony, a penalty phase proceeding is subsequently conducted to determine the sentence - either life in prison or death. The same judge and jury panel is used for both the guilt phase and penalty phase proceedings. However, the verdict in the penalty phase differs in two important aspects. First, whereas the guilt phase verdict must be unanimous, a sentence of death only requires the recommendation of a majority of the jury.

You are right CentralFLMama -

"The Florida scheme requires the jury to unanimously find a defendant guilty of first degree murder. Then the same jury (unless the defendant waives a jury? hears evidence to establish statutory aggravating factors (the SA) and statutory on non-statutory mitigating circumstances (DT) The aggravating factors must be established beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact find must only be "reasonably convinced" as to the existence of mitigating circumstances.

While the jury is not required to recommend the death penalty in any case, if the jury finds one or more aggravating circumstances and determines these circumstances sufficient to recommend the death penalty, it must determine whether sufficient mitigating circumstances exist that outweigh the aggravating circumstances.

Based upon these considerations, the jury then recommends whether the defendant should be sentenced to life imprisonment or death. A simple majority of the jury is necessary for the recommendation to be the death penalty. It is not necessary for the jury to agree on the aggravating circumstances."
*quoted from Florida College of Advanced Judicial Studies 2009 - conducting the penalty phase of a capital case.

So, when the SA charged ICA, they listed six aggravating circumstances that caused them to ask for the death penalty. So in the penalty phase, the SA argues that they proved these charges.

The DT argues she should not be put to death for all kinds of reasons, but excluding remorse, no prior criminal history (whoops) the list is quite long.

But for all the case summaries I read while prepping for this phase, I found in every case the jury did give the evidence weight, but basically disregarded them when they voted.

I feel certain if there is a penalty phase, we will be setting up threads to discuss the aggravating and mitigating circumstances at great length (knowing us!)

I think that if she is convicted of any of the charges there will be a penalty phase.

ICA has to be found guilty of one of the capital case charges before it goes to the penalty phase.

There are only two recommendations the jury can make, death or LWOP.

In case any one wonders, I am no way a legal person at all. Just one with a logical mind.

At least a year ago, I downloaded the whole portion of the Florida Judicial Studies -Conducting a Penalty Phase in a Capitol Case - all 300 and something pages.

I like to read it from it after a bad hearing day or trial day when I've got a serious case of the D.T.'s.....heh heh...

I don't think George will say anything. Cindy will probably plead for Casey, and Lee will speak for both Casey and Caylee. CMA, CMA.

I think GA will be able to do both simply because his wife will make him plead for KC. No matter how upset he is with her, he will not be able to bring himself to not plead for her life to be spared. He will say he has lost Caylee and the heartbreak he has to endure knowing that she died at the hands of KC will be all that they can take. Cindy will insist that they fight to keep KC alive.

Ooh good question! .. I have no idea..

I think Nancy Grace will be wetting her seat at this moment. lol.

Can't wait!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back