Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the corollary damage in the Victim 2 case, especially to McQueary, it's hard to think of that one being dropped.

If Amendola trots Victim 2 into court, and he says, "Nothing happened," that charge evaporates.

If Amendola trots Victim 2 into court, and he says, "Nothing happened," that charge evaporates.

True, and so far, prosecutors haven't even indicated that they know the identity of Victim 2, to be able to prepare to impeach if that occurs.

At first, I wondered why they couldn't just check Second Mile records for the date in question; then I decided that Sandusky probably didn't keep "scheduled appointments" like other counselors at the agency would have had to when they met with clients.

We can only hope that Victim 2 has been located and is on board; otherwise, I agree that those charges could be in jeopardy.

True, and so far, prosecutors haven't even indicated that they know the identity of Victim 2, to be able to prepare to impeach if that occurs.

At first, I wondered why they couldn't just check Second Mile records for the date in question; then I decided that Sandusky probably didn't keep "scheduled appointments" like other counselors at the agency would have had to when they met with clients.

We can only hope that Victim 2 has been located and is on board; otherwise, I agree that those charges could be in jeopardy.

I'm not thrilled about the possibility, but we could see a lot of not guilty verdicts and/or dismissed charges.

Rlaub44-- Second Mile couldn't find "some files" in storage from 2000 to 2003 and then found files from one unspecified year of that period "misfiled." Could this help the insurance company avoid responsibility?

Tipstaff says: "I believe this is Amendola's first step at having Sandusky declared indigent and having the state of Pennsylvania pay for his defense."
What kind of limits are there on legal aid lawyerin' fees? More than nothing but less than lucrative?

Rlaub44-- Second Mile couldn't find "some files" in storage from 2000 to 2003 and then found files from one unspecified year of that period "misfiled." Could this help the insurance company avoid responsibility?

Snipped by me:

One thing about the Second Mile is that from what I can find, unlike many other social service agencies, they don't appear to bill Medical Assistance for services.

Because of this, there would be far less documentation maintained outside of their own offices, which certainly allows more freedom for records to be lost, unaccounted for, etc. If they had billed MA through one of the local Managed Care Organizations (such as Community Care Behavioral Health), there would be a very thorough paper trail of every contact that a Second Mile worker had with each client, with date, time, and guardian signature.

My layperson's guess about your question would be that Amendola would argue, and probably rightly so, that Sandusky gained access to the victims in his official capacity as a Second Mile employee/volunteer/ambassador, etc.; and therefore any liability incurred should be covered.

Pinktoes caught it on it on another thread. Gricar had a meeting with Sloan (ADA), Schreffler, Ganter (another assistant coach) and Ralston on 10/13/98. Ralston was the State College police officer involved in the "sting." This was more than four months after the case was closed.

Pinktoes caught it on it on another thread. Gricar had a meeting with Sloan (ADA), Schreffler, Ganter (another assistant coach) and Ralston on 10/13/98. Ralston was the State College police officer involved in the "sting." This was more than four months after the case was closed.

We haven't heard whether or not Fran Ganter testified before the grand jury, have we? He was the long-time offensive coordinator who now serves as an assistant athletic director at Penn State. In fact, he was the one who was tasked with delivering the note to Paterno's house containing the phone number Joe was to call to be terminated.

I am now very curious about the subject of the October meeting, when Schreffler was to take Ralston, Sloane and Gricar to the football building, apparently to meet with Ganter.

We haven't heard whether or not Fran Ganter testified before the grand jury, have we? He was the long-time offensive coordinator who now serves as an assistant athletic director at Penn State. In fact, he was the one who was tasked with delivering the note to Paterno's house containing the phone number Joe was to call to be terminated.

I am now very curious about the subject of the October meeting, when Schreffler was to take Ralston, Sloane and Gricar to the football building, apparently to meet with Ganter.

I believe that there is a good chance that this involved the Sandusky case.

I know you have to consider the source when you read things, but so far all I've found about ganter and JS is this retweet (originally by SportsByBrooks):

"In addition to testifying to Grand Jury, I can confirm Tom Bradley & Fran Ganter have met w/ investigators about Sandusky."
Retweeted by Gina Daly

http://twitter.com/#!/2818jm

I know you have to consider the source when you read things, but so far all I've found about ganter and JS is this retweet (originally by SportsByBrooks):

"In addition to testifying to Grand Jury, I can confirm Tom Bradley & Fran Ganter have met w/ investigators about Sandusky."
Retweeted by Gina Daly

http://twitter.com/#!/2818jm

I think that this is probably correct.

The Pulitzer's will be announced this afternoon. I wonder if we'll see any familiar names.

Penn State president Rodney Erickson subpoenaed by grand jury
By Bill Schackner / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State University President Rodney Erickson has been subpoenaed to testify before a state grand jury investigating child sex allegations against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Mr. Erickson was served sometime late last week, Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers confirmed today.

Ms. Powers said she had not seen the subpoena itself and did not know the manner in which it was served. The date of testimony is being worked out along with details of what information or records Mr. Erickson might be asked to provide.

A lawyer for Mr. Erickson "is discussing with the attorney general's office various aspects of the subpoena including the actual date of testimony," she said.

Mr. Erickson, formerly Penn State's provost, became the school's permanent president in January, weeks after the arrest of Mr. Sandusky on multiple charges of child sex assault exploded into a scandal that led to the firing of famed football coach Joe Paterno and the resignation of Mr. Erickson's predecessor, Graham Spanier.

Both men and the university faced withering criticism over Penn State's failure to report to law enforcement one alleged assault by Mr. Sandusky of a boy in a campus shower in 2002.

University officials say they are cooperating with the invesrtigation and have sought to distance the current Penn State administration from the scandal, noting that Mr. Erickson worked as provost was not involved with athletics.

"I don't think it complicates those efforts because, as we've previously said, he was on the academic side of the house and had little to do with and knew little a bout the athletics side," Ms. Powers said.

She said it's no surprise Mr. Erickson was subpoenaed given the ongoing invesigation by the attorney general. Penn State says Mr. Erickson will cooperate with the grand jury process.

Nils Frederiksen, a spokesman for state Attorney General Linda Kelly, said his office does not comment on matters pertaining to an ongoing grand jury investigation and thus can neither confirm nor deny that Mr. Erickson has been served.

www.postgazette.com

Hooray for Sara Ganim, a richly deserved Pulitzer at 24, speaking the truth to power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd