Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"One alleged victim on Wednesday sought an injunction to stop the Second Mile charity from dissipating its assets, NBC News confirmed. In a filing in Pennsylvania state court, the alleged victim said he and others intended to sue Second Mile for negligence and failing to report known sexual abuse of children, and wanted to stop the charity's assets from disappearing. Sandusky founded Second Mile."

Certainly Second mile can disperse their funds ............to an escrow account.

Where are all the brilliant minds who were supposedly on the board at Second Mile? They have abandoned ship. Someone is releasing fairy tales from that organization now. They WISH they could disperse their funds to other charitable organizations, but it isn't going to happen.

IIRC, this isn't chump change we're talking about. I'd have to go digging for the link, but I believe they had $9,000,000 liquid when all this went down.

I also remember that the $3,000,000 pulled by Corbett was a matching funds grant on a $12,000,000 construction project, meaning $9,000,000 had to be floating around somewhere.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_n...case-feds-consider-launching-criminal-inquiry

A senior law enforcement source tells NBC News that federal prosecutors and FBI agents in Pennsylvania are now “looking hard” at whether to open up their own investigation because of allegations that former football assistant coach Jerry Sandusky crossed state lines to commit child abuse.

One of the Pennsylvania state charges against Sandusky alleges that he flew one boy – identified as Victim Number Four – to the Outback Bowl in Tampa in 1998 and then again to the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio in 1999. ..........

The feds are also trying to determine whether Sandusky used the Internet to communicate or even recruit his victims—also grounds for the FBI to become involved. And a New York-based charity, the Fresh Air Fund, confirmed this week that it sent five children to live with Sandusky in the 1970s and one in the mid-1990s.

“It would be inconceivable that we couldn’t find grounds” to make this a federal case, the official said.

........Beyond supporting an ongoing inquiry by the Department of Education into the actions of Penn State officials, Smith added: "I can't comment about other specific areas of federal inquiry." .............

The FBI is also making its resources – including its crime lab and behavior analysis unit – available to investigators, a state police spokesman said.
Hurray for the feds! If any of Sandusky's rape victims that were taken across the state line asked to send them home, he can also be charged with kidnapping. (30 years in prison).

The Mann Act
Over the years, the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that prosecution under the Mann Act was constitutional. The act has never been repealed, but it has been substantially amended in recent years. In 1978, Congress updated the definition of "transportation" in the act and added protection for minors of either sex against sexual exploitation.

A 1986 amendment further protected minors and replaced "debauchery" and "any other immoral purpose" with "any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense." That allowed the government to get out of the business of "legislating morality" while retaining the essence of the Mann Act as a weapon in the fight against human trafficking.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88104308

OMG...he was completely out of control...I guess since he knew they were watching him and he couldn't get to the Second Mile kids anymore, he had to start on the family kids...

Surely now at his hearing in early Dec. with these new charges (and new judge) they can increase the bond and put this sucker in jail!

His own lawyer said they would probably find him a 'danger to the community'...

They need to revoke bail. Supervised visitation with grandchildren while living across the street from an elementary school is too much risk given the charges.
His United States visa needs to also be revoked.

Child sex charges filed against Jerry Sandusky; two top Penn State University officials charged with perjury & failure to report suspected child abuse

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=6270

Story of how the case progressed and charges were brought by the AG:

"This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys," Kelly said. "It is also a case about high-ranking university officials who allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury that was investigating a series of assaults on young boys............

List of charges against Sandusky:

•
Seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, all first-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

•
One count of aggravated indecent assault, a second-degree felony punishable by up to ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

•
Four counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all first-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

•
Four counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

•
Four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

•
Four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

•
Eight counts of corruption of minors, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

•
One count of indecent assault, a third-degree felony punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

•
Four counts of indecent assault, all second-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Two counts of indecent assault, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

•
One count of attempt to commit indecent assault, a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Much more at link.....

Keep in mind with the felony counts, they are often for the same incident. For example, if Mr. Sandusky is found guilty of a 1st degree felony in one incident, he won't face the 3rd degree felony.

In the 1998 incidents, he's facing four felony counts of unlawful contact with a minor, 3 1st and 1 3rd degree. He possibly could be convicted on just one of them, and be acquitted on the other three.

Also, it is fairly common for sentences to run concurrently. So, let's say he's just convicted on the 3rd degree felony in the 1998 incident, along with one count each of the misdemeanors corruption of minors and one of endangering the welfare of children. He could be sentenced to 5 years and be out in 3.

I fully expect some of the charges to be dismissed, or getting a not guilty verdict on them.

The "ban" was "unenforceable" which I still DO NOT understand that excuse. I am waiting patiently for someone with PS (or any legal entity) to explain why that 'ban" was NOT enforceable :waitasec:.

My guess is that he had to admit under questioning that it was "unenforceable" because in order for them to effectively ban him from the facilities while with kids they would have had to actually tell other people about the ban. Obviously they weren't willing to do that. A ban that only Sandusky and the handful of people with knowledge of the shower incident were aware of is meaningless.

Hurray for the feds! If any of Sandusky's rape victims that were taken across the state line asked to send them home, he can also be charged with kidnapping. (30 years in prison).

The Mann Act
Over the years, the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that prosecution under the Mann Act was constitutional. The act has never been repealed, but it has been substantially amended in recent years. In 1978, Congress updated the definition of "transportation" in the act and added protection for minors of either sex against sexual exploitation.

A 1986 amendment further protected minors and replaced "debauchery" and "any other immoral purpose" with "any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense." That allowed the government to get out of the business of "legislating morality" while retaining the essence of the Mann Act as a weapon in the fight against human trafficking.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88104308

If Jerry Sandusky faces federal charges and goes to prison, there is no parole. It is a full sentence.

The story said she was told on Wednesday she couldn't use the facilities. A commentator pointed out the pool wasn't scheduled to be open today. Considering the university official doesn't know anything about this, what are the chances it was just a miscommunication?

I think the story is suspect as well.

That woman sets foot on campus and isn't immediately followed and swarmed by reporters? Forget swimming, if she was seen headed to campus the press would think it was somehow related to the case, like a meeting or something.

If they wanted her off of the campus, I'm sure they could have advised her of this by phone. They would want their campus security to be aware as well. I could see them wanting her off of campus just for security reasons, but I doubt that it would happen in this manner.

Keep in mind with the felony counts, they are often for the same incident. For example, if Mr. Sandusky is found guilty of a 1st degree felony in one incident, he won't face the 3rd degree felony.

In the 1998 incidents, he's facing four felony counts of unlawful contact with a minor, 3 1st and 1 3rd degree. He possibly could be convicted on just one of them, and be acquitted on the other three.

Also, it is fairly common for sentences to run concurrently. So, let's say he's just convicted on the 3rd degree felony in the 1998 incident, along with one count each of the misdemeanors corruption of minors and one of endangering the welfare of children. He could be sentenced to 5 years and be out in 3.

I fully expect some of the charges to be dismissed, or getting a not guilty verdict on them.

Yes, with only the 8 victims with charges so far, the charges are overlapping for the cases (not including what may be charged on the 2 new cases).

I certainly hope they prosecute them fully and victims testify to what happened. Something like 5 years is not enough to give justice to what these children have gone thru over so long, and there are repeated offenses with each one. Also, new victims may come forward, so you can't predict what will be the end result now with the state charges. Who knows, he may plead guilty in order to avoid a public trial for his family.

And if the feds charge him and win their cases...he is a goner...

Don't know how Pa. is about sexual abuse but my state is fairly aggressive. I once had a case of a man impregnating his retarded step-daughter and he was convicted of 2 counts..15 years each, 30 total.

Penn State child sex abuse scandal leads colleges to emphasize their own reporting policies

“In light of recent events at Penn State, we all need to be clear about what we should do if we have suspicions of sexual abuse or if we witness or have direct knowledge about an incident of sexual abuse at LVC,” Lebanon Valley College President Stephen MacDonald said Monday in a letter to the campus community.

He described steps to take, including calling police. He listed local police department phone numbers. MacDonald went so far as to state, “You should take action to safeguard the victim if circumstances allow.”

Full:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_child_sex_abuse_sca.html

So Sad, too Bad...................... A source close to the Paterno family says Sue Paterno was told to leave a Penn State campus pool where she normally works out.

No reason was given, the source told The Patriot-News, and when reached by email, university spokesman Bill Mahon said, "I have heard nobody discuss this."

Sue Paterno is the wife of legendary former head football coach Joe Paterno, who was fired after allegations of child sexual abuse were filed against his former assistant Jerry Sandusky. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/sue_paterno_told_she_cant_use.html

If this turns out to be even partly true, it pizzes me off to think that a University giving an office, parking pass, and unfettered access to a child rapist would have the unmitigated gall to deny access for an innocent, elderly lady to a pool she probably paid for anyway. :furious:

Penn State Testimony Requested

Excerpt:

The lawyers (for Gary Schultz and Tim Curley) were seeking information on a brush with law enforcement that the assistant coach Mike McQueary had in Virginia in 2007.

The incident in question appears to consist of a misdemeanor reckless driving charge. Records show McQueary was arrested for driving 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. He did not show up for his hearing, and was found guilty in absentia.

More:

NY Times -
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/s...jury-testimony-sought-in-penn-state-case.html

Truth be told, she and Joe Pa probably bought that campus pool and exercise facility for the university. (No, if this story is true, she shouldn't be using it now even if she and her husband donated it.)

Joe Pa has lent his name to multiple campaigns that raised $1.37 billion for the Penn State.

In 1984, Joe and his wife established the Paterno Libraries Endowment, which now has $4 million in the bank. Joe Pa and his wife personally gave $250,000 of their own money to that campaign. Later, Joe Pa and his wife co-chaired a library expansion campaign which raised another $14 million.

In 1998, Joe Pa and his wife gave $3.5 million to Penn State to endow faculty positions and scholarships and to support two building projects.

In 2009, Joe Pa and his wife donated $1 million to help expand Mount Nittany Medical Center (a 260 bed acute care public hospital which is the only hospital in that city).

Joe Pa and his wife gave $250,000 to build the Penn State All-Sports Museum.

Joe Pa and his wife recently donated $1 million for a chapel on Penn State campus.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...-coach-joe-paterno-continues-article-1.977598
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...e-joe-paterno-legacy/index.html#ixzz1eZkggc4t

My God, I think it's obscene that those people/Paternos had that much money to give.

I think the story is suspect as well.

That woman sets foot on campus and isn't immediately followed and swarmed by reporters? Forget swimming, if she was seen headed to campus the press would think it was somehow related to the case, like a meeting or something.

If they wanted her off of the campus, I'm sure they could have advised her of this by phone. They would want their campus security to be aware as well. I could see them wanting her off of campus just for security reasons, but I doubt that it would happen in this manner.
All three pools (outdoor, Natatorium, and White Building) were closed today. The Penn State pool schedules are posted on this page or the previous page. The story is fake and malicious.

If this turns out to be even partly true, it pizzes me off to think that a University giving an office, parking pass, and unfettered access to a child rapist would have the unmitigated gall to deny access for an innocent, elderly lady to a pool she probably paid for anyway. :furious:

Now the AP is also reporting she was turned away from the pool. Maybe there is something to this story.

A person close to former Penn State coach Joe Paterno's family has told The Associated Press his wife was turned away from a campus pool.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/art...turned-away-at-pool-2287203.php#ixzz1ebMMHnCN

"The allegations are ridiculous and unfounded. Jerry has absolutely denied any inappropriate contact with his grandkids," Amendola told ABC News.

This stood out to me for some reason.

Anyone else?

1/inappropriate contact - I have no faith that JS understands what inappropriate contact means

2/with his grandkids - but not others...did Amendola slip up and tell the truth again?

My God, I think it's obscene that those people/Paternos had that much money to give.
I think it is more obscene that so many others with wealth give absolutely nothing to anyone.

Recall that Joe Pa didn't retire at 65. He was still working at 84.

The average salary for college football coaches is $1.47 million, which marks an average increase of almost 55% over the last six years. Nearly three dozen coaches are earning over $2 million, and one coach — Texas’ Mack Brown — is clearing $5 million a year.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/11/18...es-salaries-just-keep-going-up/#ixzz1ebN6c8qW

Paterno's pension records obtained Tuesday from the State Employees' Retirement System show his average pay over the past three years was $554,000.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-11-15/joe-paterno-pension/51223854/1

LSU's Les Miles and Alabama's Nick Saban are considered to be among the highest-paid coaches in the country. Saban's total compensation package called for him to make roughly $3.8 million this year, a figure that includes his base salary from the university plus compensation for personal services from other sources.

Paterno's compensation did not come from state appropriations or student tuition since he worked for Penn State Athletics, a self-supporting department funded largely through ticket sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth