Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link, Pensfan...

It sounds like Matt has a great deal of pent up rage, and since much of it appears to be channeled towards women, I have to wonder if it's really misplaced anger toward his mother for not "saving" him from Sandusky.

I shudder to think what JS may have done to those grandchildren. :furious:

I agree with you. Matt sounds like a very troubled person. I can only imagine what he has gone through all these years, being victimized by the one who was supposedly saving him from his troubled home life. That would be an extremely hard situation to process, when everyone around him seems to feel that his "foster" father walked on water. What kind of mental issues might we all have if something like this was going on since you were a kid?
It is not surprising that he can't talk about it.
jmo

Victim #4 is going to be a HUGE problem for Sandusky, irregardless of what his attorney said in this statement:

This lawyer needs to read the grand jury report. The prosecution knows EXACTLY who this young man is. He told the grand jury EXACTLY what "Jerry did to me" during his testimony.

Considering all of his stated interaction with other people during the bowl trips, verifying his testimony through corroborating details from any number of witnesses should be a lead pipe cinch for the prosecution:

This Victim's testimony should also shed light on who knew about what Sandusky was doing to these children. I want to see the Feds bring charges against EVERY ONE of them.

IMO, his attorney is attempting to try this in the press before it gets to court.
Typical of a guilty defendant, imo.

IMO, Joe Paterno didn't express any surprise because he hasn't been surprised about this issue for many years. Article after article containing statements from people who were a part of the PSU football program and/or community have described Joe's all encompassing style of administration and his absolute knowledge of all things within his organization.

I take no pleasure in what has happened to a legend in college football. I'm, personally, content with the price he has already paid for his coverup. He has lost his reputation and what appears to be his driving force in life by failing to take action to protect these children.

Oddly enough, I believe it's not entirely too late for Joe Paterno to do the right thing. IMO, JoePa could regain a measure of his dignity by assisting the prosecution. There is no doubt in my mind that he possesses more than enough information to put this monster away for the rest of his natural life.

I hope to see him do what he can to help find justice for these children, and be able to live out the remainder of his life with the dignity that can only come from doing the right thing.

Respectfully Papa...cause I love you. JoePa refusing to report (IMO) allowed other children to be raped. I do not believe there is any way to save JoePa's dignity now. He should be arrested. I err on the side of children. Always If the person I first reported my abuse to had actually done something about it...it would have saved me ten years of torment. She can never gve that back to me...and I am not concerned about her dignity.

I really feel that each one who had an idea that something was amiss with this guy, felt that if they just got him out of their area, they would be ok with not following up on what they felt or suspected about him.
Once they failed to report what they knew, they only dug themselves deeper.
If you don't report something once, when it happens again, what do you do?
Cover it up, because you knew it a long time ago. Paterno, imo, knew there was something wrong with this guy, but he thought he could control it, like everything else in his domain.
Once he failed to address it, it just snowballed for him.
And here we are.

"On April 5th, 2007, the San Mateo Police [CA] showed up at the house of the former president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry :banghead:...william hamilton ayres, with a warrant for his arrest and dragged him out in handcuffs. The charges relate to his molestation of many young boys over the course of his career, in which he alleges to have been a psychiatrist."

If interested go here and click on "About william ayres" for a disturbing story similar to the Sandusky scandal. Willian Ayres, whose position as a child psychiatrist gave him direct access to abuse many young boys, appears to have been (and seemingly still is to some extent) protected by high level players in society (judges, professional associates).

There are something like 55 victims formally lodging complaints. But it appears that Ayres lawyers have slimed him out of being criminally tried for years, the most recent tactic being the decision that he was incompetent to defend himself (with various delays on where and how long he will be committed). Reading that case one might do well to steel oneself for the event that the legal system allows squirm room for Sandusky.

This serves to remind one that the powerful protect the powerful, the well-connected protect the well-connected, and that seems particularly damaging in some professions. To bad there is not some kind of Dexter for pedophiles.

Here in Chattanooga, we had a couple of high profile pedophiles with the same type of job working with children - because that's the type of job that is attractive to these guys. That's how they stay under the radar, while convincing people that they are "helping" underprivileged children.

One was a local weatherman who set up a science lab for kids in a mall. Soon every school in the county was parading children past him day in and day out. My own children, including a son, went on field trips there - and I went with them!!! Then the guy was arrested for soliciting boys behind a grocery store and it all hit the fan. :furious: He was so high profile that it was hushed up quickly, and now it's hard to find news stories about the case, but here's one from Jacksonville, FL, where he worked before coming to TN.
http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/030999/met_2b3Law_D.html

Another was a youth minister at a large Baptist church who lured boys into a special room he had set up inside the church with a trunk full of *advertiser censored*! And it turned out later that his brother was in jail as a pedophile also, but he tried to blame the *advertiser censored* on him - omg. I think the "youth minister" was giving private music lessons, and that's how he kept it hidden. The church possibly could have brushed it under the carpet, and some of the other church members stood by the pedophile even in court, but I've always been glad that guy got caught before he bothered anyone else.

You can read some of the details in the court filing here:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_31084.asp

Quote:
Sue Paterno, wife of former head football coach Joe Paterno, was indeed told to leave a Penn State campus pool recently, according to a source close to the family.
The story created online chatter about the Penn State Natatorium's holiday schedule. When university spokesman Bill Mahon said Thursday that Sue Paterno was not turned away from the Natatorium - because the facility is closed for Thanksgiving - it created the impression that The Patriot-News' original story was wrong.
Our story was correct. Sue Paterno never even went to the Natatorium. She always works out at the football building's pool and that is the pool she was asked to leave.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...terno_wor.html

Bill Mahon did NOT post a statement that the pools were closed. ROFL This was uncovered right here on this thread on Websleuths. The original story stated that a university spokesman was not aware of any directive on this (Sue swimming in the pool) and that Joe Paterno still held tenure. Half a day later, Sara changed that story and wrote, "Uh.... yeah. I knew the pools were closed....uh...uh....Sue Paterno was trying to swim at the football players' facility. Yeah...that's the ticket." She then changed her source to "Intercollegiate Athletics" (includes 10,000 kids). ROFL

I would be willing to bet all of my leftover pecan pie that the athletic facility pool was also closed during Thanksgiving break too. LOL

<modsnip>.

What, it was a slow news day?
There was pepper spraying and defacating in the aisles on Black Friday!
Leave the poor woman alone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...google_editors_picks=true#articleTabs=article

Ex-Penn State Officials' Defense Strategy: Focus On McQueary Credibility

...........The lawyers point out that they believe Mr. Paterno's testimony matches that of their clients. "All of them testified that Mr. McQueary did not tell any of them that he witnessed anal sodomy on March 1, 2002."

They also ask in the letter whether any of the possible victims admitted being with Mr. Sandusky on March 1, 2002 but denied any sodomy. If that victim "denies any sodomy, that is powerful exculpatory evidence. Indeed, it should be the end of the case against Messrs. Curley and Schultz. Please produce such information forthwith."

The letter also points out that Mr. McQueary reportedly socialized with Mr. Sandusky after March 1. "Most people do not socialize with individuals they believe to be child-rapists," they write.
---------

However, Mr. Oliver says the case against Mr. Sandusky should still be strong if lawyers for Messrs. Curley and Schultz are able to poke holes in Mr. McQueary's testimony: "It's not one incident. It's a bunch of people making the same claim, so you still have a good case, and it suggests prosecutors were probably right to wait for more victims to come forward."

Kudos to the AG's office and prosecutors for getting enough evidence to make a strong case!

Hopefully, this victim was not his adopted son who doesn't want to address the issue. jmo

Respectfully Papa...cause I love you. JoePa refusing to report (IMO) allowed other children to be raped. I do not believe there is any way to save JoePa's dignity now. He should be arrested. I err on the side of children. Always If the person I first reported my abuse to had actually done something about it...it would have saved me ten years of torment. She can never gve that back to me...and I am not concerned about her dignity.

I hear you my friend. I know that everything you say is true. I guess I'm just hoping that he will come forward and help the prosecution nail this monster.

Your torment surely strengthened your resolve and for a long time I have admired your passion in matters relating to God's children. As you have said, compared to the horror these children suffered, there is no reason to be concerned about anyone's dignity who enabled their agony through silence.

I hear you my friend. I know that everything you say is true. I guess I'm just hoping that he will come forward and help the prosecution nail this monster.

Your torment surely strengthened your resolve and for a long time I have admired your passion in matters relating to God's children. As you have said, compared to the horror these children suffered, there is no reason to be concerned about anyone's dignity who enabled their agony through their silence.

It will be extremely difficult for him to come forth with evidence that he knew about in the past at this point, imo.
We will have to wait and see.

Your torment surely strengthened your resolve and for a long time I have admired your passion in matters relating to God's children. As you have said, compared to the horror these children suffered, there is no reason to be concerned about anyone's dignity who enabled their agony through silence.

I am a children's advocate, foster to adoptive parent and christian family counselor...I just get so angry when people do nothing while innocence is shattered. I am sometimes very glad that I have never come upon someone abusing a child...becuase they would probably be arresting me.

Thank you for the compliment. it means so much coming from you Papa.

JoePa has alot to be concerned about. I hate it...I hate it for the college kids at PennState, I hate it for the boys playing ball today but most of all I hate it for every little boy that was violated by this monster. It is time to end the silence and go after every single one of these pervs. Be silent no more.

It will be extremely difficult for him to come forth with evidence that he knew about in the past at this point, imo.
We will have to wait and see.

I do believe before it is over...there will be ample evidence that JoePa knew...and knew a long time ago.

I think (and I do that a lot but not always well) that it's already been implied Paterno's helping the prosecution and has been since he already testified before the GJ and has not been accused of perjury as other University employees have.

I said before I wouldn't post this... but I'm posting it... Hearsay or not... Can't quote much cuz it's short... Let's just say I hope it's true.

...3 months later, Paterno followed up and was told that the police and the DA were not going to pursue the matter...

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/17/2569775/good-news-for-psu-if-true

Mods, please delete my post if this is too blog-gy.

Wisconsin pounded Penn State, 45-7, today. What to do with the remains of Paterno's staff is the question for the university's leadership now. If they intend to "clean house," today's result helped. IMO.

If Penn State football doesn't clean house now, it will live to rue the day.

I think (and I do that a lot but not always well) that it's already been implied Paterno's helping the prosecution and has been since he already testified before the GJ and has not been accused of perjury as other University employees have.

I said before I wouldn't post this... but I'm posting it... Hearsay or not... Can't quote much cuz it's short... Let's just say I hope it's true.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/17/2569775/good-news-for-psu-if-true

Mods, please delete my post if this is too blog-gy.

I hope it's true as well. If true, it needs to come out.

Wisconsin pounded Penn State, 45-7, today. What to do with the remains of Paterno's staff is the question for the university's leadership now. If they intend to "clean house," today's result helped. IMO.

The leadership's house needs to be cleaned as well. How long has this new President been a part of the administration?

The leadership's house needs to be cleaned as well. How long has this new President been a part of the administration?

From Wikipedia:
(Erickson) was promoted to full professor in 1984. He has been part of the university's administration since 1995, when he became dean of Penn State's graduate school. He was promoted to provost in 1999.

I hope they give due diligence to whether or not he knew about Sandusky before "cleaning house". If he is dismissed because of this scandal, he will likely be unable to find another position in higher education, which would be unfortunate if he were truly unaware.

I do understand the need to cut out the cancer, but it doesn't help the victims any to harm innocent people, and I believe there may be people connected to the University who really didn't know enough about Sandusky to take any action.

Those who did, I agree, need to be dismissed immediately.

How do you know he's terminal (other than the fact he's 84 years old)? The cancer has been called treatable and that they are hopeful for a full recovery. Not every lung cancer is terminal.
The gold standard for treating primary lung cancer is a lobectomy. Although there are some surgeons that will cut on anyone at any age, Joe Paterno has educated family members who may help him decide on a different treatment based upon his advanced age. A difficult recovery occurs with a lobectomy (think ICU, intubation, ventilator, and chest tubes) and Joe Pa is 84.
http://lung-cancer.emedtv.com/lobectomy/lobectomy-recovery.html
http://lung-cancer.emedtv.com/lobectomy/lobectomy-complications.html

Remember that Elizabeth Edward's metastatic cancer was also called "treatable".

if Joe Pa does start chemo, the prosecution must realize what happens with the mental acuity of many chemo patients and how chemo will affect Joe Pa's already declining mental functioning.

Here are just a few examples of what patients call chemo brain:
&#8226; Forgetting things that they usually have no trouble recalling (memory lapses)
&#8226; Trouble concentrating (they can&#8217;t focus on what they&#8217;re doing, have a short attention span, may &#8220;space out&#8221;)
&#8226; Trouble remembering details like names, dates, and sometimes larger events
&#8226; Trouble multi-tasking, like answering the phone while cooking, without losing track of one task (they are less able to do more than one thing at a time)
&#8226; Taking longer to finish things (disorganized, slower thinking and processing)
&#8226; Trouble remembering common words (unable to find the right words to finish a sentence)
http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Tre...alSideEffects/ChemotherapyEffects/chemo-brain

Pensfan
________
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads