Penn State Sandusky Trial #11 (Verdict - GUILTY!)

How long will the jury deliberate?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Continue discussion here.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_trial_media_thr.html

BELLEFONTE -- News reporters and their affiliated media organization will face sanctions if they report the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse trial verdict before court is adjourned, Judge John Cleland ruled in a decorum order this morning.

The verdict will be announced count-by-count, in order by count number. Sandusky, a 68-year-old former Penn State coach, is charged with 48 counts related to child molestation.

Well, we are to the watching-paint-dry section of the trial. The most exciting event will be if the jury asks a question. We will be chewing our fingernails, if there are any left. Afraid to miss something, we will hand on here and the twitter feeds.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8073352&postcount=1196"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8073352&postcount=1196[/ame]

McGettigan also said -- Sandusky probably knows who the boy is in the shower that McQueary saw…why has he never said who the boy is and had him come talk if nothing actually happened except showering (this was a pretty powerful point that hasn’t been made before).

by WGAL 1:32 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yRyX6rUM

YES!!! So glad McGettigan made this point!

That's it for the pros:

After this, Judge John Cleland says -- We’ve spent not nearly as many days together as I had thought.

The deliberations can only take place in Courtroom 2 (where the jury has been headquartered since the start of the trial).

When the jury is taken to the hotel, they can’t take any phones, computers -- phones and TVs in the hotel rooms (they’ll be rooming separately) will be disconnected. The jurors cannot deliberate at the hotel.

by WGAL 1:37 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yRziA8Xj

Cut and paste:
A total of 4 #sandusky charges have been dropped...3 felonies for accuser 4, one felony for accuser 7.....total now is 48 charges
by 8CumbCoReport via twitter 6:47 AM

In his ruling, released Thursday morning, Cleland says he would have been required to set aside any convictions on those counts, because "the verdict was not supported by the evidence."
He also dismissed a count that he says was the same as another charge.

Victim 4: Sandusky is accused of repeated involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. Prosecutors say more than 50 alleged incidents occurred between 1996 and 2000, at the Sandusky home, hotels and university facilities, while the boy was 12-17. He also traveled with the Sandusky family to bowl games in Texas and Florida. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse (three counts), aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault, unlawful contact with minor, corruption of minors, endangering a child's welfare.
Victim 7: They showered together and Sandusky bear hugged him in 1995-96, and more than once he put his hands down the waistband of the boy's pants, according to the grand jury. Sandusky did not touch his genitals, the jury said. The boy was 9-11. Attempted indecent assault, unlawful contact with minor, corruption of minors, endangering a child's welfare.

McGettigan said -- Now I feel like I have pieces of 10 souls in my pocket, pieces of childhoods ravaged, boys’ memories incinerated by this pedophile…I can’t give them back portions of their souls..but it’s what you can do and what you should do and what you must do.

McGettigan dramatically leaves the jury…and walks directly behind Sandusky, pointing at him. Sandusky, who had been smiling, nervously tries to keep his head toward McGettigan but uncomfortably turns a bit…as McGettigan continues (and gets choked up himself), saying -- He molested, abused children, horribly. You can’t give them back their souls. But he knows he did it. And you know he did it. Acknowledge it and give them justice. And give him the justice he really deserves.

by WGAL 1:35 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yRzLuBJU

This brought me to tears!

Some healthy snacks for those who like to nibble while they wait...

istockphoto_2766189-healthy-snack.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2766189/2/istockphoto_2766189-healthy-snack.jpg

healthy-nutritious-snack-foods.jpg

http://www.growingraw.com/images/healthy-nutritious-snack-foods.jpg

...and not the least of all, STOP him!! For good.

From SG's report:

Cleland dismissed the three alternates after the 12 jurors left the courtroom. He told juror 16 that she could leave, but jurors 14 and 15 were asked to stay and be sequestered separately from the other 12 in case they are asked to fill in for any of the 12.

Everyone involved in the case is asked to be on 20-minutes notice to return for a verdict, or for questions from the jury as they deliberate.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sanduskys_fate_is_in_the.html

Juror 16 has left the courthouse #SanduskyTrial
by sganim via twitter 1:36 PM

RT @PN_Dustin: Jerry #Sandusky just left Centre County courthouse after closing arguments. He shrugged to media, saying he couldn't comment.
by cvmikesisak via twitter 1:35 PM

Prosecutor McGettigan declines comment when asked for his feelings on the case. #Sandusky
by cvmikesisak via twitter 1:33 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): What you can do, must do, should do is what the evidence calls for. The defendant molested and abused...
(Walks over to Sandusky and stands behind him. Sandusky turns head around to look him in the eye).
He knows he did it, you know he did it. Give (alleged victims) the justice they deserve. Give him (Sandusky) justice he deserves.
Find him guilty of everything.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:32 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): Defendant had opportunity to speak out and tell his case. He spoke to Bob Costas. I would think if someone asks you if you’re a child molester, immediate response is ‘You’re crazy, are you nuts?’ Instead of, ‘Am I sexually attracted to young boys?’
That’s his explanation, just likes young children.
Ron Petrosky, janitor, said Calhoun came out shaking like a leaf, said he saw JS in shower with boy…
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:31 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): Mike McQueary – Imagine shock he had when person you knew for ten years as a coach (do what he did). Think about what happened to him that night. You can understand shock he felt. He has been criticized for not going to police.
Went to his dad, who told him go to JoePa. That’s because JoePa was a go-to guy. He stood up to criticism, met the mark. Says one could argue that MM didn’t do all he could do. But he stepped up here and did right thing.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:30 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): Hope you forgive me for some questions I asked that some might consider cruel. Part of my job. Victims knew they would be called liars, money grubbers because I told them what would happen.I hope they forgive me, hope you forgive me.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:29 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): (Alleged victim) served country in war, then had to come back and talk about what happened to him as child.

Shrewd pedohile: start with what is already there and move forward.
JS thinks these are relationships.
Pred pedophile also has spectrum of treatment of his victims.

Spectrum of grooming behavior and spectrum of relationships.

Defendant relied on external appearances. Had access to a pool of victims. Had access through 2nd Mile all biological data of victims.
PSU not on trial and neither is 2nd Mile. I find that unfortunate. This about behavior of one man – this defendant. It’s a sad thing.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:29 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): He wAs preying on those most vulnerable. Fatherless kids…

Psychosexual disorder – love children, special relationship with children, would never cause harm or what they think is harm; denying pedophile.

Grooming, cultivating a child. Predatory, pedophile behavior. Getting child accustomed to sexual touching.
Step one: shower. Step two: shower and hand on genitals. Step three: extended touching of sexual nature. Step four: Beyond that. Sexual intercourse.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:28 PM

McGettigan closing (cont'd): Mr. Lasch – 2nd Mile golf outing witness.
Mr. Anderson and Brooks, they admitted to showering with boys. But wasn’t his practice to pick up boys and squeeze them inshower.
Mr. Amendola was stuck with trying to show that showering together is normal.
by WTAE.com/ Web staff 1:28 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wtae.com/Event/Jerry_Sandusky_Trial_2#ixzz1yS22cJPH

I like his style.

I like his style too. I was a bit worried when Dan Wetzel of Yahoo!sports said he gave only a decent closing while the defense gave a stronger one but it seems to have been effective as Jean C and other courtroom commentators seemed to have been moved by McGettigan.

I liked that he said Sandusky could have ended it all right then, right there by adamently denying he was sexually attracted to young boys or by giving out the names of the two unnamed victims. Sandusky is the one who knows who they are... if he's innocent and nothing happened, why didn't he?

I liked that.

Bellefonte merchants are grousing...

Sandusky trial is trying for Bellefonte merchants

BELLEFONTE, Pa. - This week, about the only people in Confer's Jewelers, the classy, family-owned boutique next door to the courthouse, were the salespeople.

Nobody was browsing at Childrenz' Clothing Plus. And at Victorian Rose, cherry-cheeked cherubs provided the only friendly faces.

"It's just dead," said Carol Walker, who owns and runs the all-Victorian store for this largely Victorian town. "Nobody wants to come into town."

Why? The trial of Jerry Sandusky.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/159820995.html

I hope they're placing the blame where it belongs and not on those boys. :nono:

mo

From the judge:

Judge Cleland tells the jurors -- You represent the legal conscience of your community. You don’t sit here as the moral conscience of the community. It’s not for you to decide if Mr. Sandusky is a good person or bad person. You sit here as the legal conscience of your community. Because we live under the rule of law and Mr. Sandusky is a citizen. The state cannot punish him until you say so. That decision is now in your hands and we await your verdict.

by WGAL edited by WGAL1:54 PM

Read more: http://livewire.wgal.com/Event/WGALs_Jerry_Sandusky_trial_coverage#ixzz1yS4K1yu6

Yummy on the goodies, ynotdivein, and thanks for letting me finish at the other thread!

Any comments made about the expressions on the jurors faces or body language during closing arguments, both sides?

Another logical conclusion I hope the jurors seize upon: if this were about money, how come the victims of the mid to late 1990's aren't rolling in the dough? Is that mother actually owning his house? No... because they only agreed to reveal their stories when it came to criminality and the victimization of others. Jerry Sandusky had to be stopped.

Now, as a citizen of this country, I hope they all go on to sue the appropriate parties, because this kind of trauma and life interruption has untold amounts of fiscal damage. More power to them. Bless them all. :heartbeat:

Jean C said that juror 7 looked often at the victims who came back into the courtroom during closings, but that was all I heard.

Blech. SG just said on IS that one of the jurors was nodding his/her head during Joe A's closing. :/

Jean C said that juror 7 looked often at the victims who came back into the courtroom during closings, but that was all I heard.

Yes, he is their peer-- going to be a Senior at Penn State next fall. iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members