Pentagon - Envelopes tested positive for ricin, 02 Oct 2018

Solved.

"A former Navy sailor was taken into custody in Utah on Wednesday on suspicion of mailing envelopes filled with a suspicious substance to top federal officials, including President Trump.

The man, identified as William Clyde Allen III, 39, was taken into custody in Logan about 85 miles north of Salt Lake City, according to local FBI spokesman Doug Davis."

https://nypost.com/2018/10/03/cops-search-home-of-man-suspected-of-sending-ricin-to-trump/

He put his return address? And what crimee is it to send the beans?

He put his return address? And what crimee is it to send the beans?
It depends on whether it can be established that sending the beans constitutes making terroristic threats or similar charges.

Needless to say, US citizens have very broad rights of free speech. At the same time, it is illegal to make death threats, bomb threats, or other threats of violence. etc. For criminal prosecution, the person making the threat may have to both make the threat and also have the general means to carry it out.

I imagine that prosecutions are rare given the deference to free speech. Even still, prosecutions for such stunts do occur. For example, an anti abortion protester once served jail time after he rented and parked empty Ryder trucks (ala Oklahoma City attack) in front of abortion centers.

Last edited:
It depends on whether it can be established that sending the beans constitutes making terroristic threats or similar charges.

Needless to say, US citizens have very broad rights of free speech. At the same time, it is illegal to make death threats, bomb threats, or other threats of violence. etc. For criminal prosecution, the person making the threat may have to both make the threat and also have the general means to carry it out.

I imagine that prosecutions are rare given the deference to free speech. Even still, prosecutions for such stunts do occur. For example, an anti abortion protester once served jail time after he rented and parked empty Ryder trucks (ala Oklahoma City attack) in front of abortion centers.
There was a note in the envelope, but it hasn't been released what was on the note. Perhaps the contents of the note escalated the threat or the perception of a threat. It's not okay to send ingredients of a deadly toxin in the mail to anyone, let alone officials at the Pentagon, imo. That is threatening, unstable behavior.

jmopinion

I actually open mail at a government office. We "joke" about powder in envelopes.

Shucks, maybe I need, "Hazardous Duty Pay".

I wonder if this guy watched too much "Breaking Bad".

There was a note in the envelope, but it hasn't been released what was on the note. Perhaps the contents of the note escalated the threat or the perception of a threat. It's not okay to send ingredients of a deadly toxin in the mail to anyone, let alone officials at the Pentagon, imo. That is threatening, unstable behavior.
Good points.

The note may well of established that he has the means to send actual ricin, thus warranting criminal charges. My guess is that he is looking at several years in prison. Federal prosecutors are less likely plea bargain and a convict must serve 85% of a federal sentence before release.

I believe the anti abortion / Ryder truck guy was charged at the state level and got a pretty light sentence of say, 15 months with a promise not to do it again. Federal charges, however, can be a whole other world. Not wise to mess the feds.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back