Perseid Meteor Shower Is Peaking Now: How to Watch | Space.com

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Tulessa, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

http://www.space.com/22332-perseid-meteor-shower-peaking-now.html

UPDATE: The Perseid meteor shower is now at its best. See how to watch it with your own eyes or online here: Perseid Meteor Shower Is Peaking Now: How to Watch

Every August, just when many people go vacationing in the country where skies are dark, the best-known meteor shower, makes its appearance.

This year, the Perseid meteor shower is expected to reach its peak overnight on Monday (Aug. 12), and there are some key tips to keep in mind for your "shooting stars" viewing. You can watch live Perseid meteor shower webcasts on SPACE.com, courtesy of NASA and the Slooh Space Camera.

I never miss these and tonight's is supposed to be extremely brilliant!

2. Loading...

3. Tulessa

Live stream for those who don'enjoy the joy of dark skies and country living

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/perseids_2013a.html#.UghblaCwVMh

How to See Perseid Meteors
    For optimal viewing, find an open sky because Perseid meteors come across the sky from all directions. Lie on the ground and look straight up into the dark sky. Again, it is important to be far away from artificial lights. Your eyes can take up to 30 minutes to adjust to the darkness, so allow plenty of time for your eyes to dark-adapt.
    About the Perseids
    The Perseids have been observed for at least 2,000 years and are associated with the comet Swift-Tuttle, which orbits the sun once every 133 years. Each year in August, the Earth passes through a cloud of the comet's debris. These bits of ice and dust -- most over 1,000 years old -- burn up in the Earth's atmosphere to create one of the best meteor showers of the year. The Perseids can be seen all over the sky, but the best viewing opportunities will be across the northern hemisphere. Those with sharp eyes will see that the meteors radiate from the direction of the constellation Perseus.
    Do You Have Photos of Perseid Meteors?
    If you have some stellar images of the Perseid meteor shower, please consider adding them to the Perseid Meteors group in Flickr. Who knows - your images may attract interest from the media and receive international exposure.

4. Tulessa

These will also be observant tomorrow night, between 3-5 am. I set my clock so I won't miss them! Back out side I go! Happy gazing! :)