Person doing a backbend or hanging upside down in dense foliage

What is this? Bite mark?

Furthermore, there's a lot going around the head. Beside some sort of strings, there's this discrepancy re the hair. Not sure if this is blurring done by LE or indicative of something poured on the hair. Could also unfortunately be blood.
I spent a lot of time some years back highlighting ligature marks on the neck and blood trails down the face. I never dreamed going in how much people can disagree about what's in a picture.

I spent a lot of time some years back highlighting ligature marks on the neck and blood trails down the face. I never dreamed going in how much people can disagree about what's in a picture.
How are we disagreeing? I see the blood trails too.

I'd never heard of this photograph until a few days ago. And I have to echo everyone who has said how disturbing it is. It haunted my dreams the first night. I've been trying to figure out why.

First of all, the subject isn't looking at the photographer. Normal subjects are responding to the photographer, looking at them, smiling, posing for them, some acknowledgment of their presence, however subtle. The person in the photograph, if they are alive, are completely focused on their survival, pain, feelings of shame or fear, I'm not sure what, but it's on whatever they're going through in the moment. If they are deceased, then they died in a state of fear, pain, shame, some negative emotion. There is no sense of fun, experimentation, it's as though they've been compelled, through coercion or against their will.

Second, as others have observed, the location is unusual as it appears to be hidden, in the undergrowth, under branches, away from prying eyes. Someone who did a back bend under branches would risk being poked in the eyes, face, in your torso, armpits. It doesn't make sense unless you or the photographer is trying to conceal what you're doing or your presence there. If they're in a location they aren't supposed to be, you wouldn't do a backbend, unless you were adding an element of risk of being caught. You would take a photograph and go.

Third, there is nothing animated about that face. I did an experiment by holding up a hand mirror to my face while I was hanging my head upside down. Gravity takes over, the cheeks and the mouth sag down, the eyes and mouth become narrow, thins out the face, but doesn't raise the eyebrows. I'm old, so things sag more. The person in the photograph is obviously young, minimal sagging, but gravity will probably change how wide the eyes and mouth are. Especially since the person is not smiling.

There is a dark, well defined and straight shadow across the person's face. It could be a utility pole, a fence pole, a camera stand, someone standing between the person and the sun. It is so straight that I think it's an inanimate object, as opposed to a person.

There is color/stain an inch or more beyond the hairline. It reminds me of coloring my hair. My stylist makes sure she gets the hairs on my hairline by extending the color beyond it by an inch or more. I also notice a typical men's receding hairline pattern around the temples. Not to say that is what it is, but the pattern of the hairline coming to a point at the temple area looks masculine to me. As bizarre as it sounds, it looks like a color job. Plus, the hair that falls from the head doesn't fall straight down, it falls as though there is product on the hair; color, gel, mousse, hair oil, something that flattens the crown hair against the top of the head. There is a second line of color, whether it's dried blood, color, blood pooling in the head, it looks like a stain regardless. It roughly follows the first line closer to the hairline.

I can't imagine coloring your hair in the middle of the woods. Perhaps those upthread are correct. Someone has been hit in the head and stages of bleeding has caused the staining. It's bizarre and disturbing regardless.

All just my opinions. Nothing is stated as fact. I am open to all interpretations. Just here to speculate.

I've always been bothered by the fact that Alcala thought he had time to set up the scene. Could this be at a relative's property? Not Texas because prickly ash doesn't grow there. Didn't he have an uncle in NY state? Prickly Ash also doesn't grow in California. Neither in Florida bar for one spot.

I'd never heard of this photograph until a few days ago. And I have to echo everyone who has said how disturbing it is. It haunted my dreams the first night. I've been trying to figure out why.

First of all, the subject isn't looking at the photographer. Normal subjects are responding to the photographer, looking at them, smiling, posing for them, some acknowledgment of their presence, however subtle. The person in the photograph, if they are alive, are completely focused on their survival, pain, feelings of shame or fear, I'm not sure what, but it's on whatever they're going through in the moment. If they are deceased, then they died in a state of fear, pain, shame, some negative emotion. There is no sense of fun, experimentation, it's as though they've been compelled, through coercion or against their will.

Second, as others have observed, the location is unusual as it appears to be hidden, in the undergrowth, under branches, away from prying eyes. Someone who did a back bend under branches would risk being poked in the eyes, face, in your torso, armpits. It doesn't make sense unless you or the photographer is trying to conceal what you're doing or your presence there. If they're in a location they aren't supposed to be, you wouldn't do a backbend, unless you were adding an element of risk of being caught. You would take a photograph and go.

Third, there is nothing animated about that face. I did an experiment by holding up a hand mirror to my face while I was hanging my head upside down. Gravity takes over, the cheeks and the mouth sag down, the eyes and mouth become narrow, thins out the face, but doesn't raise the eyebrows. I'm old, so things sag more. The person in the photograph is obviously young, minimal sagging, but gravity will probably change how wide the eyes and mouth are. Especially since the person is not smiling.

There is a dark, well defined and straight shadow across the person's face. It could be a utility pole, a fence pole, a camera stand, someone standing between the person and the sun. It is so straight that I think it's an inanimate object, as opposed to a person.

There is color/stain an inch or more beyond the hairline. It reminds me of coloring my hair. My stylist makes sure she gets the hairs on my hairline by extending the color beyond it by an inch or more. I also notice a typical men's receding hairline pattern around the temples. Not to say that is what it is, but the pattern of the hairline coming to a point at the temple area looks masculine to me. As bizarre as it sounds, it looks like a color job. Plus, the hair that falls from the head doesn't fall straight down, it falls as though there is product on the hair; color, gel, mousse, hair oil, something that flattens the crown hair against the top of the head. There is a second line of color, whether it's dried blood, color, blood pooling in the head, it looks like a stain regardless. It roughly follows the first line closer to the hairline.

I can't imagine coloring your hair in the middle of the woods. Perhaps those upthread are correct. Someone has been hit in the head and stages of bleeding has caused the staining. It's bizarre and disturbing regardless.

All just my opinions. Nothing is stated as fact. I am open to all interpretations. Just here to speculate.
The color you talk about is imo drying blood matting the hair.

These are not the back side of the legs but the front! That's a left knee!

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_181413.jpg
    IMG_20220521_181413.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 25
These are not the back side of the legs but the front! That's a left knee!
It is indeed a left knee, but it's the match to the right knee beside it and it's facing away. Both legs show a clear bend facing out. Backing out a little helps make it clear.

Attachments

• Knees.jpg
    Knees.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 16
That's a wooden marker with a triangle on it. It seems to be mounted on a upright bar.

Second pic shows other geometrical signs. Upper 9ne seems to be a square made of four little squares.

Attachments

• IMG_20220524_141010.jpg
    IMG_20220524_141010.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220524_143252.jpg
    IMG_20220524_143252.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I've always been bothered by the fact that Alcala thought he had time to set up the scene. Could this be at a relative's property? Not Texas because prickly ash doesn't grow there. Didn't he have an uncle in NY state? Prickly Ash also doesn't grow in California. Neither in Florida bar for one spot.
JMO, but he got away with SO much and was so evil, I think he didn't care. It probably added to the excitement for him. Look at how he behaved when he was caught in his apartment with Tali Shapiro. He got away with horrible things. :(

There doesn't seem to be much attention given to these photos beyond norest's book, and random discussions like this one. Fading into the past even more, perhaps now Alcala has passed away, and the world has so many other pressing problems. Might as well speculate and share anything that could be relevant or possible, You never know!

My pet theory is that this is the Rockefeller Preserve, based on thinking that this girl is also Helmet Girl and the Helmet Girl shots include a lot of background that looks like that estate. Here are some pictures known to have been taken there for comparison. Oddly enough, the subject is also a lovely ballerina.

Attachments

• Bat Mitzvah.jpg
    Bat Mitzvah.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 13
My pet theory is that this is the Rockefeller Preserve, based on thinking that this girl is also Helmet Girl and the Helmet Girl shots include a lot of background that looks like that estate. Here are some pictures known to have been taken there for comparison. Oddly enough, the subject is also a lovely ballerina.

My pet theory is that it's in or around a ruin on a trail. The Akebia quinata is essential for pinpointing. As to the Rockefeller estate, I think it was too crowded with people for these kinds of shenanigans.

Rope plus some sort of attachment. Like they use to keep plants etc in place. That contradicts my ruin theory. Then again maybe this rope plus thingy is also used for other purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_161108.jpg
    IMG_20220526_161108.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 12
As to the Rockefeller estate, I think it was too crowded with people for these kinds of shenanigans.
Ellen Hover's body was found there and one woman not attacked had a photo session with Alcala near the same spot.

I've been trying to make sense of this photo for a while now, and don't know what to think. Has LE ever confirmed that this specific image was cropped by them? The reason I ask is that in other photos LE released where the subjects are fully-clothed, Alcala sometimes frames them in weird ways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back