Peru authorities to contact Amazonian tribe for first time

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by zwiebel, Jul 23, 2015.

1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Following an arrow attack on villagers in May by the previously isolated Mashco Piro tribe in Manu National Park in Peru, government anthroplogists say they intend to 'try to talk to' the Amazonian Indian tribe.

Increasingly, the Mashco have been seeking food and machetes outside of their small community, and Peruvian authorities point out that villagers, Christian missionaries and even tourists have already made contact. Only the government has not and they now hope to discover the reasons behind the tribe's growing number of excursions out of the rainforest.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/07/23/Peru-to-seek-out-isolated-jungle-tribe

2. Loading...

3. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

4. LolaMoon08

LolaMoon08 Active Member

Maybe people should just leave them alone?

5. Peliman

Peliman New Member

Would be nice but I imagine the government wont leave them alone until they pay taxes.

6. blue22

blue22 Active Member

I find this nuts. They act like it's a mystery as to why the tribes are venturing out. It's known all over the world why tribes are leaving the forest. It's called DEFORESTATION. For goodness sakes, the land is shrinking rapidly. People in the tribes and people outside of them are being forced into the same quarters...simply due to dwindling space.

7. pukasonqo2

pukasonqo2 Member

i agree
    the amazon is being destroyed, indigenous groups have no rights and are exploited
    the list is endless

8. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Well-Known Member

9. BlueberryBird

BlueberryBird New Member

Peru needs to adopt the same policy that the Indian government finally enacted for the populations in the Andaman Islands (like the Sentinelese).

10. pukasonqo2

pukasonqo2 Member

they most likely won't
    peru (i am peruvian) is very corrupt country, there is no respect for indigenous cultures. if they have to choose between a mall being built in the middle of the amazon and the indigenous population, the fauna and the flora i can only assure you that the mall will be built

11. michmi

michmi New Member

...and dragging their diseases to an isolated population is a way to help eliminate them also.