PETA attacks Nintendo over fur-wearing Mario

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Kimberlyd125, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Kimberlyd125

Kimberlyd125 Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet

PETA attacks Nintendo over fur-wearing Mario

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ntendo-over-fur-wearing-mario?ocid=ansmsnbc11

Nintendo has just launched its highly anticipated game "Super Mario 3D Land." The game — which you play on Nintendo's new handheld 3DS game machine — features the famed plumber Mario making his way through a cartoon land filled with cranky mushrooms, man-eating plants and nefarious turtle creatures. On occasion, the mustachioed plumber dons a furry raccoon-like "Tanooki suit" which lets him float in the air and swat this colorful host of bad guys with a tail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PETA, however, thinks Mario's fur-wearing ways are offensive and has — just in time for the launch of "Super Mario 3D Land" — launched its own campaign pegging Mario as a killer of innocent animals.

To be clear, the E-rated "Super Mario 3D Land" never suggests that Mario slaughtered an animal for its fur. In fact, the magical Tanooki suits that he wears in the game typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air. These squares magically give up the suits (which at first look like magical leaves) when Mario bumps his head into them.

But according to PETA's new "Mario Kills Tanooki" website, in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur."

***more at link***
    IMO this is another laughable attempt from PETA to get noticed.
    Crazy CRAZY CRAZY!!!

2. Loading...

3. Kimberlyd125

Then I see this on my homepage... right after I started this thread...

[​IMG]

What is wrong with these people???

4. defense101

defense101 New Member

Really, how do they know its not faux fur? I think they need to get their priorities straight and attack real slaughterers of real animals.

5. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

:banghead: if those people would put the same amount of energy into REAL causes (child abuse, missing people, etc.) as they do to these silly "campaigns" this world would be a better place!!

(i'm not against animal rights activists .. i'm just against ridiculousness)

6. Jaxson

Jaxson Your barkin' up the wrong tree

It isn't faux fur...lol it's pixelized. These people make laughing stock of themselves IMO. Have they nothing better to do? Like save real animals?

7. tlcya

tlcya Well-Known Member

So PETA has decided to take on fictional cartoon characters starring in video games now? Really?

What's next, the burning of books that depict hunting, or fur wearing fictional characters?

This is yet another example of why PETA can go suck it in my opinion. They are so darned militant that they alienate 98% of the population.

8. Camille

Camille New Member

Oh for PETA's sake. How ridiculous.

9. ChasingMoxie

ChasingMoxie Member

Incidentally, Mario has been wearing the tanooki suit since way back when I was playing Mario Brothers 3. Where was all the raccoon love in 1990, PETA? :crazy:

10. Camille

Camille New Member

Didn't we have to slide down some vines and drop coconuts on monkey's heads at one point in time too? There was something with turtles too I think. Mario, Mario...:floorlaugh:

11. Kimberlyd125

IMO they just get more ridiculous with each passing year.

12. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

Real life???? Um, "They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded."

The shapeshifting seems to fit a video game perfectly...so my guess is Mario is shapeshifting into a Tanuki (actually different spelling altogether) so what's the issue and why? I actually applaud the designers for their research and finding a legendary creature outside the norm that would fit their game's theme.
    Tanuki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. NoraEltrain

NoraEltrain I am Gogo Dodo!

They can take my Mario away from me when they pry it from my COLD, DEAD, HANDS.

And even then I might fight back.

14. Jaxson

Jaxson Your barkin' up the wrong tree

You really should email this to PETA!

15. JBounds

JBounds I feel lucky

PETA pretty much has no credibility anymore