Pictures: Trees Cocooned in Spider Webs After Flood

OMG...my Freak A Meter is in total overdrive! I have never seen anything so grotesque in all my life. It is just unbelievable. I know it isn't the "green" thing to do or the environmental/earthy thing but I say bring back DDT and kill these buggers!

I hear ya, I m not the biggest fan of spiders (they creep me out) but I no longer am phobic about them.

Unfortunately, with all that stagnant water arround it is a draw for massive quantities of insect life, thus the spiders are probably serving a huge public service by being there to eat them. Can you imagine if they weren't the swarms of insects, some which are disease carriers?

Now my reaction would be completely different were they in my own backyard you understand, lol

:eek::eek::eek: That's really bad, 'kay? I be skeered of spiders. Grandpa used to say not to kill them cause they eat bugs. Never saw a decrease in bug population so I say kill them all. I just threw up in my mouth.

Just imagine how bad the bug problem would have been if you killed them?

I have a rule. I don't kill them outside but if they come into my apartment they will be killed.

SHUDDER
Just seeing one Daddy Long Legs in the bathroom sends me screaming out the door for hubby.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG8VAkprGM4[/ame]

I recall, growing up in Appalachia, large webs or clouds similar to this hanging from our trees. We used to burn them, no doubt damaging the trees, but I think the trees would have been damaged by the web sacs or what was in them. Anyone here know what these were??

Ah, found it: the Fall Webworm. Okay, this may win the prize for "Really-Gross-Things-You-Don't-Want-As-Part-of-Your Habitat." (Not a contest anyone really wants to win.)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/fall_webworm.htm

scroll down for images on the right. couldn't that next-to-last one turn your stomach? Okay, now imagine them writhing around when you burn them!

Uh-oh, my inner Appalachian child is showing.

Those are the same things from Delaware. I used to let them crawl on my fingers.

We wouldn't have used Raid because we were "hill people." Besides, burning them was big entertainment back there! Yes, DK, you're right--I remember them burning by the hundreds and dropping to the ground. Man, there just ain't that kinda fun no more, ya know?

LOL tapu I don't know what part of the hills you come from but all my people on one of my grandfathers side came down from the hills of KY ( appalachian mnts) and you're taking me back to my memories of them (good people all passed on now I'll be 50 this year and I'm remembering those that were middle aged or older when I was a kid)---just wanted to say thanks :)

Are there millions of spiders in the trees???Alive?

I'd sleep in an abandoned haunted asylum alone with no flashlight BEFORE I'd ever attempt to get with 100 feet of those trees.I am all freaked the hell out now.:eek:hwow:

Call Billy the Exterminator! I don't like spiders - I have no idea what kind of spiders they are, but if they don't hurt people they can stay. Brown recluses and others of their ilk must DIE!!!!

Has anyone ever seen a Cane Spider in Hawaii??? So freaking BIG and scarey. My friends who lived in Papaikou just left them there on their wall like a freaking wall hanging and it freaked me out so bad I did not sleep all night every night.

Call Billy the Exterminator! I don't like spiders - I have no idea what kind of spiders they are, but if they don't hurt people they can stay. Brown recluses and others of their ilk must DIE!!!!

Has anyone ever seen a Cane Spider in Hawaii??? So freaking BIG and scarey. My friends who lived in Papaikou just left them there on their wall like a freaking wall hanging and it freaked me out so bad I did not sleep all night every night.

http://hawaiimilitarymom.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/2010-07-20-19-21-25.jpg

2010-07-20-19-21-25.jpg

I'm surprised at the negative reaction against these pictures. I actually think these are really neat.

Besides, if there are pools of stagnant water around, these spiders will be essential to keep the populations of various flies down. Otherwise, who knows how much malaria would run rampant when the flies and mosquitoes in the pools start hatching.

I'm amazed by the pictures... I don't like spiders, have a fear of them. (I swear all of them like jumping on me...) But I never kill them and try to catch and release because spiders do serve a purpose. Or, if they are really big and nasty, have my husband to it. LOL

I think the pictures are amazing.

What's the big deal? Web Worms...we have them every year in Oklahoma.We have them all over our 3 acres....I just don't walk under them....and we do burn them too.

I was playing golf one day and hit my ball into one...the ball wouldn't come out....we threw golf clubs up in there and they all got caught...we finally had to get the golf course crew to help....yeah...it was ruled an "unplayable lie"

Yes I have. Tonight I was breaking down boxes that had been stored in the garage for the past few months and please forgive me but when I came across 2 or 3 baby cane spiders (which are about the size of large daddy long legs but look slightly different and you can tell the difference)---I stepped on them and squashed them because I don't want to deal with them later when they look like the one in the picture steely posted. My apologies to spider lovers.

Although they aren't really dangerous and usually don't bite there are occasions that they will and it is usually the female of this spider that does.

I didn't take time to ask the lil fellas I ran across this evening if they were a sir or madam before I put my foot firmly down on them as they scampered quickly away. Again my apologies :wink: (I'm being sassy hehe).

We have very large centipedes here and snails whose shells are as large as my hand.

Centipedes (not my blog)
http://beatofhawaii.com/centipedes-in-hawaii-i-was-stung-today/

I have a picture of one of the snails on my daughters cell. I'll upload it sometime.

Also last night I was walking out to the garbage can in the alley and looked down and thought I saw a baby snake, but since there are no snakes here I was curious. It was some type of worm I had never seen before, about 10 inches long and about as big around as say 1/2 inch? I'd say about the size of maybe 10 or 12 uncooked speghetti noodles together in a bundle. Still don't know what that was.

Lived in TX and had experiences with my fair share of Large spiders (Large with a capital L), scorpions---you name it.

Lived in Georgia---american cockroaches and flying cockroaches.

Lived in other areas of the world, all have their own critters. LOL.

Back on topic, I've seen shrouds of webs on trees like that but it was catapillars and such. I wonder what size and what that particular spider looks like?

Now it's just me but I don't want a spider in the house to eat the bugs. I just don't but I don't mind at all the house geckos we had in TX and here. Love them except when they get in my masterbath at night and do their mating call. (They usually don't though they stay on the ground floor but we do find them every great once in awhile in the shower stall. They don't bite and move away from you as fast as they can).

Ohhhhh, we had this same thing here in Texas in 2007. I packed a lunch, loaded up 5 of my kids and 2 more from the neighborhood.

ROAD TRIP!!

Very creepy, indeed.

Photos at the link-

http://www.texasento.net/Social_Spider.htm

How long did this road trip last?

Yes I have. Tonight I was breaking down boxes that had been stored in the garage for the past few months and please forgive me but when I came across 2 or 3 baby cane spiders (which are about the size of large daddy long legs but look slightly different and you can tell the difference)---I stepped on them and squashed them because I don't want to deal with them later when they look like the one in the picture steely posted. My apologies to spider lovers.

Although they aren't really dangerous and usually don't bite there are occasions that they will and it is usually the female of this spider that does.

I didn't take time to ask the lil fellas I ran across this evening if they were a sir or madam before I put my foot firmly down on them as they scampered quickly away. Again my apologies :wink: (I'm being sassy hehe).

We have very large centipedes here and snails whose shells are as large as my hand.

Centipedes (not my blog)
http://beatofhawaii.com/centipedes-in-hawaii-i-was-stung-today/

I have a picture of one of the snails on my daughters cell. I'll upload it sometime.

Also last night I was walking out to the garbage can in the alley and looked down and thought I saw a baby snake, but since there are no snakes here I was curious. It was some type of worm I had never seen before, about 10 inches long and about as big around as say 1/2 inch? I'd say about the size of maybe 10 or 12 uncooked speghetti noodles together in a bundle. Still don't know what that was.

Lived in TX and had experiences with my fair share of Large spiders (Large with a capital L), scorpions---you name it.

Lived in Georgia---american cockroaches and flying cockroaches.

Lived in other areas of the world, all have their own critters. LOL.

Back on topic, I've seen shrouds of webs on trees like that but it was catapillars and such. I wonder what size and what that particular spider looks like?

Now it's just me but I don't want a spider in the house to eat the bugs. I just don't but I don't mind at all the house geckos we had in TX and here. Love them except when they get in my masterbath at night and do their mating call. (They usually don't though they stay on the ground floor but we do find them every great once in awhile in the shower stall. They don't bite and move away from you as fast as they can).

BBM

I wouldn't put up with geckos. Constantly being badgered to buy car insurance would bug the crap outta me. :maddening:

LOL steely hehe.

LOL tapu I don't know what part of the hills you come from but all my people on one of my grandfathers side came down from the hills of KY ( appalachian mnts) and you're taking me back to my memories of them (good people all passed on now I'll be 50 this year and I'm remembering those that were middle aged or older when I was a kid)---just wanted to say thanks :)

Ah, it seems that Your People are My People. I'm from that (speaking of crotches) part of the country where KY, OH, WVA meet. I can regale 'em from California to Maine with stories and dialect from back there. When I was growing up there, I never thought I'd miss it... and I don't. But I know what you mean about some of the memories. What it lacks in cultural refinement, it makes up for in cultural strangeness.

Nothing left but the floor, nothing lives there anymore, 'cept the memories of a coal miner's daughter.... ~Miss Loretta Lynn

Geckos, shmeckos, Steel! That's the last thing you worry about in real gecko country. When I lived in Mexico, the geckos in our yard were like pets. The really hinky-icky creatures were the scorpions we used to find between stacked dinner plates! They'd crawl in there to get water left from dishwashing and then they'd die. Or... they wouldn't quite die..... Care for dessert?

How long did this road trip last?

BBM

I wouldn't put up with geckos. Constantly being badgered to buy car insurance would bug the crap outta me. :maddening:

Driving there was under 1 hour..........then 30 minutes in a line of other looky-loos to get into the state park. lol Two of my sons were 9 & 10and we took a couple of their friends. They had a large time! I kept thinking I could hear the spiders making a high-pitched sound like in those 70's movies with the giant insects. :crazy:

Of course I have to now Google this spider!I'll never learn.

Geckos, shmeckos, Steel! That's the last thing you worry about in real gecko country. When I lived in Mexico, the geckos in our yard were like pets. The really hinky-icky creatures were the scorpions we used to find between stacked dinner plates! They'd crawl in there to get water left from dishwashing and then they'd die. Or... they wouldn't quite die..... Care for dessert?

:puke:

Driving there was under 1 hour..........then 30 minutes in a line of other looky-loos to get into the state park. lol Two of my sons were 9 & 10and we took a couple of their friends. They had a large time! I kept thinking I could hear the spiders making a high-pitched sound like in those 70's movies with the giant insects. :crazy:

I thought you jumped into the car to runaway. :waitasec:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88