Plane carrying transplant team and organs crashes near Milwaukee

This is so sad....

My mom had a heart transplant 15 years ago. I remember watching the helicopter land on the pad and someone carry in the Igloo cooler which contained her new heart. I also remember saying goodbye to my mom. Once they take the organ out...they hope the transplant works. It doesn't always work out that way.

I also remember how excited we all were that my mom was going to get a chance to live. The docs told us she had about 2 weeks, at the most. All we know about the donor is that he was a young man that died in an accident over the 4th of July. Because it was a holiday, there are usually more deaths...and therefore more organs available. In my mom's case, the hospital had already done a couple of transplants, and my mom had to wait for one of the transplant rooms to open up for her. The donor family agreed to keep their loved one on life support an extra two days so my mom could get her heart. It brings tears to my eyes thinking how unselfish they were...in their time of loss...they were thinking of others.

My thoughts and prayers for the passengers of the aircraft, and the people awaiting the gift of life or sight. I also will say a prayer for the family of the donor. I can't imagine having the strength to make such a decision in such a sad time in their lives.

This is so sad....

My mom had a heart transplant 15 years ago. I remember watching the helicopter land on the pad and someone carry in the Igloo cooler which contained her new heart. I also remember saying goodbye to my mom. Once they take the organ out...they hope the transplant works. It doesn't always work out that way.

I also remember how excited we all were that my mom was going to get a chance to live. The docs told us she had about 2 weeks, at the most. All we know about the donor is that he was a young man that died in an accident over the 4th of July. Because it was a holiday, there are usually more deaths...and therefore more organs available. In my mom's case, the hospital had already done a couple of transplants, and my mom had to wait for one of the transplant rooms to open up for her. The donor family agreed to keep their loved one on life support an extra two days so my mom could get her heart. It brings tears to my eyes thinking how unselfish they were...in their time of loss...they were thinking of others.

My thoughts and prayers for the passengers of the aircraft, and the people awaiting the gift of life or sight. I also will say a prayer for the family of the donor. I can't imagine having the strength to make such a decision in such a sad time in their lives.

That's a lovely story.

This is so sad....

Such bittersweet story.
My gf's BIL died this morning from a terrible fall off of a building. He was alive for just a few days. But his organs saved 7 other people's lives today.

Such bittersweet story.
My gf's BIL died this morning from a terrible fall off of a building. He was alive for just a few days. But his organs saved 7 other people's lives today.

I am so sorry. It's wonderful that his organs helped so many people.

When my mom was in the hospital, a young man came in with the same thing she had...viral cardiomyopathy. In his case, he became ill just a short time prior to this. In my mom's case...she was sick for several years before finally getting to the point where she was so ill, she needed a heart.

It was such an eye-opener for me because I just thought that this was something that happened over a long period of time...but this young man jumped ahead of her on the transplant list because he was so ill.

And in both cases, this was caused from a viral infection.

My mom struggled for years with the fact that her heart came from a young man. She was older, and his life was cut short in his prime. She did send a card to his family, but we have never heard anything more.

A friend of mine had a liver transplant. After this transplant, he and his wife had another baby. Years later, they finally heard from the family of the person who donated the liver...and the first name they named their baby, was the same name of this woman who donated her organs. It still gives me chills when I think of this. He was so sick, they didn't think he'd live, much less have any more children.

I am so sorry. It's wonderful that his organs helped so many people.

When my mom was in the hospital, a young man came in with the same thing she had...viral cardiomyopathy. In his case, he became ill just a short time prior to this. In my mom's case...she was sick for several years before finally getting to the point where she was so ill, she needed a heart.

It was such an eye-opener for me because I just thought that this was something that happened over a long period of time...but this young man jumped ahead of her on the transplant list because he was so ill.

And in both cases, this was caused from a viral infection.

My mom struggled for years with the fact that her heart came from a young man. She was older, and his life was cut short in his prime. She did send a card to his family, but we have never heard anything more.

A friend of mine had a liver transplant. After this transplant, he and his wife had another baby. Years later, they finally heard from the family of the person who donated the liver...and the first name they named their baby, was the same name of this woman who donated her organs. It still gives me chills when I think of this. He was so sick, they didn't think he'd live, much less have any more children.
wow..another moving story.
I have a friend that died of viral cardiomyopathy at 32. But her neighbor had the same virus but he didn't know it. because of her death, he was saved because the dotors then realized what they were dealing with.

WOW, no joke here, I just found out that David Ashburn was a forum member on realtree.com...a hunting site I frequent.

I remember talking to him about his profession when his son was born not too long ago. He was a resident training in Pediatric Cardiology.

He has a wife, two young daughters, and a very young son.

This is horrible news as I got to know him somewhat and he was a great husband, father, and hunter.

Cal

wow..another moving story.
I have a friend that died of viral cardiomyopathy at 32. But her neighbor had the same virus but he didn't know it. because of her death, he was saved because the dotors then realized what they were dealing with.

It took quite a bit of time for my mom to be diagnosed. I don't remember all the details, but eventually they figured it out...thankfully.

32 is so, so young. How tragic. But how wonderful is it that the neighbor was saved.

WOW, no joke here, I just found out that David Ashburn was a forum member on realtree.com...a hunting site I frequent.

I remember talking to him about his profession when his son was born not too long ago. He was a resident training in Pediatric Cardiology.

He has a wife, two young daughters, and a very young son.

This is horrible news as I got to know him somewhat and he was a great husband, father, and hunter.

Cal

That is so sad.

My thoughts and prayers are will all the families. I just can't imagine.

It took quite a bit of time for my mom to be diagnosed. I don't remember all the details, but eventually they figured it out...thankfully.

32 is so, so young. How tragic. But how wonderful is it that the neighbor was saved.

Wow, I got full-blown congestive heart failure from a virus and was given up to five years to live. I took lots of nasty meds and was really sick for a couple of years but was lucky. I improved and am now no longer sick. My heart is back to absolutely normal! Had a MUGA last year and my heart was as normal or more so than my cardiologist's. Can you believe that? I was on the transplant list! Sometimes miracles DO happen!

I'm so sad for the transplant team and all those people waiting for the gifts of life and sight. How completely horrible! Jelly's story about her good friend's husband kinda balances the scales.

gaia:cool:

Wow, I got full-blown congestive heart failure from a virus and was given up to five years to live. I took lots of nasty meds and was really sick for a couple of years but was lucky. I improved and am now no longer sick. My heart is back to absolutely normal! Had a MUGA last year and my heart was as normal or more so than my cardiologist's. Can you believe that? I was on the transplant list! Sometimes miracles DO happen!

That is so wonderful!!!! I can't imagine how you felt when you were diagnosed...and then to have a miracle like that happen...and it really was a miracle. :)

That is so sad.

My thoughts and prayers are will all the families. I just can't imagine.

People die all the time, I get that. However, this just seems wrong. There are things that happen in life that just seem to make the world seem like it is out of whack...this is one of them.

It just seems wrong that Paris the hilton is running around and this guy who had so much to offer kids and the world is gone.

I am dismayed as much as I am sad.

New

People die all the time, I get that. However, this just seems wrong. There are things that happen in life that just seem to make the world seem like it is out of whack...this is one of them.

It just seems wrong that Paris the hilton is running around and this guy who had so much to offer kids and the world is gone.

I am dismayed as much as I am sad.

New

I know what you mean. Sometimes things happen, like this, that just boggles the mind. Things like this just get me down. Like you, I know it happens. But it just shouldn't. That's all there is to it.

And don't even get me going on Paris, Lindsay...and that other one...what's her name. They make me sick to my stomach.

Like you, someone so good is gone, and yet someone as totally worthless like Paris...is still alive and kicking and ready to go out and booze and sex it up. This sort of stuff makes no sense to me.

I know what you mean. Sometimes things happen, like this, that just boggles the mind. Things like this just get me down. Like you, I know it happens. But it just shouldn't. That's all there is to it.

And don't even get me going on Paris, Lindsay...and that other one...what's her name. They make me sick to my stomach.

Like you, someone so good is gone, and yet someone as totally worthless like Paris...is still alive and kicking and ready to go out and booze and sex it up. This sort of stuff makes no sense to me.

So much talent and decades of work lost in an instant. You're right, there's something profoundly wrong with that in light of who remains.

So much talent and decades of work lost in an instant. You're right, there's something profoundly wrong with that in light of who remains.

I don't mean to come across that I wish Paris harm....but she just is such a waste. Actually, I think it would be much more fun to watch her if she was broke. Now that would be a hoot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back