'Plastic micro beads' to be removed from soap

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Reality Orlando, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Reality Orlando

Reality Orlando Verified Aquaculturalist

"(CNN) -- If you use exfoliating soaps, you might not know those little beads may be made of plastic -- or think about what happens to them when they go down the drain.

But it's on the minds of marine science researchers, as well as a major company."

"...Research in microplastics suggests that very small particles, even tens of microns in diameter, can be retained in the tissues of marine invertebrates, Thompson said. A 2008 study from Thompson's group found that microplastic particles remained in mussels for 48 days."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/07/health/microplastics-soap-unilever/index.html?iref=allsearch

Easy enough to avoid these products when possible just in case.

2. Loading...

3. SweetT

SweetT Active Member

I used these yrs ago but got tired of those beads getting into my eyes even when I was trying very carefully to avoid that. I eventually just quit buying them all together and now glad that I did.

4. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

Ditto, I got an eyeful of those things once, and never used the product again.

Poor sealife, and all the crud they have to endure for our vanity's sake.