POI: Lorenzo Montoya

Discussion in 'West Mesa Serial Murders' started by CriminalMinds, Jun 11, 2015.

1. CriminalMinds

CriminalMinds New Member

on the Montoya thing too, it was often misreported that there were "tracks" from his trailer to the dumpsite--I recall only 1 or 2 articles correctly indicating they were actually "dirt trails"--was that done on purpose, so that it seemed like they were focusing mostly on him (and his partner) and that Joplin photog RE so as to keep Blea off guard while they worked up a stronger case?

2. Loading...

3. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

I found old articles on Montoya when he first killed Sherika Hill and APD was quoted as saying they were looking at him to see if he committed any other crimes. His home/trailer was gone over with a fine tooth comb from what those articles stated. At the time (dec. 2006), APD believed it was to brutal of a crime to be his first.

4. Danse_Macabre

Danse_Macabre Registered User

Hello everyone,

I have a research question I'd like some help with. Anyone game?

As we know, West Mesa suspect Lorenzo Montoya was shot and killed in December of 2006. Almost all of the stories I've read say that Montoya was found dragging prostitute Shericka Hill towards his car (some stories say he was stuffing her into the trunk) when he was discovered and shot in the leg by Fredrick Williams (her pimp) and died of his injuries.

Here's an example:
    http://krqe.com/2014/01/31/does-apd-have-a-suspect-in-the-west-mesa-murders/

However, an article published the day after the incident states that Williams shot at Montoya outside of his trailer because Montoya also had a gun and Williams felt "threatened". Williams then went inside the trailer and found Hill dead.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/522336metro12-19-06.htm

What I'm looking for is something that shows me where the story changes from what was reported in the article from 2006 to the version we're more familiar with. Was Hill inside or outside? Was Montoya dragging her toward his vehicle when Williams approached him, or was he outside his trailer without the body when Williams arrived on the scene?

If anyone can point me to something that helps clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel

5. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

6. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

7. CriminalMinds

CriminalMinds New Member

IMHO, the story changed (with help) afterwards to help WILLIAMS be justified in shooting MONTOYA, to be sure no charges would be filed--They were happy to be rid of MONTOYA--Williams should/could have stayed with the story that MONTOYA pulled his gun on him when he confronted him as to where HILL was-But then it's a he says he pulled a gun thing--If instead, you see a guy stuffing your gf into the bed of a pickup truck, no way will there be charges---I REALLY believe 100% he went in AFTER shooting Montoya and found her dead

8. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

I tend to agree with your opinion. There is an article (can't find it) that told a revised version. The article stated that Williams was parked down farther in the trailer park, he buzzed Shericka's phone (the old Nextel walkie talkie type) and got no answer..he pulled up to Montoya's trailer and saw Montoya pretending to be a security guard...at this time Montoya "shooed" Williams away...Williams circled the trailer park a couple times and when he pulled up to Montoya's trailer this second time....Williams saw Montoya drop something and Montoya started playing security guard but the something Montoya dropped was Shericka...Williams fired and killed Montoya. I'm looking for that specific article.

9. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

I talked to someone from Albuquerque who said Montoya found Shericka on Backpage, but I've never have been able to confirm this. I'm not even sure Backpage existed in Dec. 2006.

10. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

According to newspaper articles, Lorenzo Montoya worked at Starline Printing Press as a foreman in the printing press area. His family released a statement after his death stating they believed Fredrick killed Shericka and that Lorenzo had a teenage daughter, and a new baby on the way.

11. vegasdee

vegasdee New Member

Another random coincidence is that det. babcock arrested Lorenzo Montoya in 1999 for choking and raping a prostitute. I believe the charges were dropped (nolle prosqui).

12. chicagofa13

chicagofa13 New Member

Possibly bones of missing prostitutes. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29247408/

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Bones from six bodies have been uncovered in the desert west of Albuquerque during the past two weeks, and police said Tuesday they were likely put there by one person.

As detectives shore up their list of suspects, the list of possible victims is growing to include a group of 16 prostitutes who went missing from Albuquerque between 2001 and 2006 and others reported missing to other area law enforcement agencies.

13. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

snipped from the article:

"Argueta said his detectives are looking at a few suspects in connection with Chavez's case. Two suspects — Fred Reynolds and Lorenzo Montoya — are dead.

Reynolds, 60, was an Albuquerque area pimp who was found dead of natural causes in January. Police say he had pictures of some of the missing prostitutes in his home.

Montoya, 39, was shot and killed in 2006 after he killed a 19-year-old prostitute, Sherika Hill, and tried to stuff her nude body in the trunk of his car. Her pimp, parked outside his trailer waiting for Hill, shot Montoya."

14. Jesikah1

Jesikah1 New Member

I saw this before Kat and while I have nothing more than a gut instinct to go on, I don't know if the men mentioned in the initial article are responsible for all ten bodies. I think it depends on the identity of the bodies and the time frame of the dumps. I would hope that the police would have already been trying to tie these suspects' names to the other missing women as they shared similar risk factors in the way they went missing. However, it is possible that this discovery is what it takes for the police to really dig deeper into the circumstances of Albuquerque's missing women. Just my two cents! My goodness though, I hope they are able to solve this one, ten bodies in the span of five or six years has a monster's fingerprints all over it, and just imagine if the culprit isn't one of these two dead suspects?

15. Kat

Respectfully bolded by me.

I, too, would be surprised if they were either as a pair or individually responsible. Montoya had been involved with a murder of a female before but it was back in either 2007 or 2006 and I can't find an archived article on the incident only a reference made to him killing a woman and then being shot by her boyfriend.

Perhaps it is sloppy reporting but I found in interesting that the other man, was said to have "Police say he had pictures of some of the missing prostitutes in his home." (quoted from the article posted in post #1).

But yet, also from that article "Of the six sets of remains, only one has been identified through dental records provided by the family of Victoria Chavez when they reported her missing in 2004."

I'm not sure how to connect that man if he has pictures of some of the women that had been missing~to~ he might be responsible for the remains of the victims found when only one had been identified at that time.

:waitasec: I probably didn't make a lot of sense trying to type that out. I hope you all can sort out what I am trying to say.

16. SuziQ

SuziQ Active Member

One POI lived close to the dig site. And I wonder if rope made out of duck tape was found at the scene? Good video at the below link.

http://kob.com/article/stories/S810040.shtml?cat=516

(snip)
    Police said Montoya had tied Hill up with a rope made out of duct tape. Investigators said the way the rope was made suggested Montoya had done it before.
    Another reason Montoya is getting attention is how close he lived to the dig site--about two miles.
    Back in 2006, there were dirt trails that led directly from Montoya's mobile home park to the dig site.

17. Kat

Thank you for the updates SuziQ. Montoya and the other man were named as POI's early in the investigation. Both are dead.

The article you gave a link to in your post # 58 that gave the account of the crime where Montoya killed a woman, was very interesting. I hadn't been able to locate an article on that from the archives.

I wonder if we would still be able to search for Montoya's rap sheet or the other POI as we are in other cases? It would be interesting to see what kind of offenses they had been arrested for in the past.

18. Kat

I do not have L. Montoya's middle initial. I can only guess his year of birth at 1967 (+/- 1 Yr) given that he was killed in 2006 at the age of 39.

I did a search of court records at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court link, there were quite a few results returned for the individual that I searched for by the search terms outlined above.

A great many were Traffic violations. I do not think that those would be of interest to us in looking at his history. However, what caught my eye were the following charges.

These are charges and I have not followed to the sentence and/or dismissal of these charges.

I do not know for sure if this is the L. Montoya that is referred to in the article above. But the year of birth is accurate (no others of that name with that year found) and the descriptions of the defendent are consistant.

That being said here are some charges I saw:

1/12/2005 Patronizing prostitutes

7/13/2002 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

11/03/1999 Criminal Sexual Penetration 2nd degree, Criminal Sexual Penetration 3rd degree, Kidnapping (all charges Nolle prosequi)

9/26/1998 Patronizing prostitutes

5/04/1994 Assault domestic Violence Case

4/22/1989 Unlawful carry deadly weapon

Just found them interesting.

19. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

Good job Kat. I find this interesting too. He certainly has the type of history that would go along with this type of case. 4 cases involving women including sex crimes and patronizing prostitutes. Two cases that on the surface don't involve women, but do involve guns.

They may or may not be able to find COD for the women that died, but I do hope if they were shot that maybe they could find a bullet. And I hope his gun is still in evidence.

20. Ruflossn

Ruflossn "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn."

Does anyone know if there has been foreign DNA recovered from any of the victims? I am curious to know if it matches Montoyas. I know it will take a while for any DNA results to be available but, I would like to know if DNA has been recovered.

21. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

The chances of them getting any DNA or prints on or around the remains is very, very slim. They have been exposed to the weather and soil so any prints and DNA that might have been available is almost impossible.