Police investigate Illinois Planned Parenthood fire as arson

PriorTheCreator

Former Member
Reaction score

A fire at a central Illinois Planned Parenthood clinic is being investigated as arson, Peoria police said Tuesday, just days after the state enacted sweeping abortion protections.

Officers responded to a report of an “unknown person throwing a Molotov cocktail” into the Peoria clinic building at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday, police spokesperson Semone Roth said.

Peoria police and fire officials are investigating the blaze, and no suspects have been identified or arrests made, Roth said.

And not to make light of his violent and dangerous act of arson, of course. It’s really hard to understand how someone can feel justified in that. I don’t get it.
There’s some chatter on fb about his “reason”. The newspaper I linked to has a fb page. Hopefully he’s made an example of.

There’s some chatter on fb about his “reason”. The newspaper I linked to has a fb page. Hopefully he’s made an example of.
Here is Massengill describing his 'reason' for committing the arson:
"Mr. Massengill initially denied the charges, but later admitted that he had set fire to the building, explaining that he had been upset after being reminded of a former girlfriend who, three years earlier, had informed Mr. Massengill by phone that she was having an abortion, the authorities said. Mr. Massengill was away working in Alaska at the time, while his former girlfriend was in Peoria, he told investigators.

If the attack caused “a little delay” in a person receiving services at the clinic, he told investigators, his actions may have been “all worth it.”"

And info on Massengill's prior criminal record:
"According to court records, Mr. Massengill was sentenced in 2008 to three years in a prison in Tazewell County, Ill., for burglary. In March, he also pleaded guilty in a court in Peoria County, Ill., to a charge of aggravated assault."

Via NYT. It will be interesting to find out if he has any history of activism or if he's just a very angry man looking for a target. I suspect the latter, JMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back