Poll: My Experience with Bullying

What is your experience with bullies?

• I was bullied as a child.

Votes: 205 66.6%
  • I was a bully as a child.

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • My children/child is/has been bullied.

Votes: 92 29.9%
  • My children/child has been/is a bully.

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I personally have not been bullied, but a close friend or family member was/is.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • I have no personal experience with bullies.

Votes: 27 8.8%
  • I am currently being bullied.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • No answer/Other/Prefer not to answer.

Votes: 11 3.6%

• Total voters
A big group hug to everyone who has felt comfortable sharing their story of bullying. Some things I was bullied about as a child still resonate with me.

My offenders were few and far between, but when they struck they could have killed me. Not physically, but emotionally and psychologically. Mostly I was teased for being poor. I didn't have the cool clothes, shoes etc. There were others who saw fit to tease me for being thin and what they called "ugly". Funny thing is, I know now they were the ones being ugly. The people who cared enough to get to know me knew I was anything but ugly. Still, to this day I have issues from all the names I was called.

It's painful and yet cathartic to read everyone's experiences. I wish there was a way to stop this. The bullying I went through is nothing like what I fear for my children. Now we hear stories of children dying at the hands of bullying. It frightens me to my core.

I differ with most school bullying experts in that I view true bullying to only encompass acts of commission and not acts of omission. I only assert that a child has a night to be simply left alone, if he or she is acting accordingly, so that he or she might have the benefit of the education that his or her parents are paying for through tuition or taxes. I prefer to position the issue as a contractual one rather than a moral one. What is the use of trying to argue morality with juvenile sadists or their parents? (The acorn indeed never falls far from the tree.) Dr. Joel Haber, whose book I recommend below, makes the same point.

I do not view social exclusion as an act of bullying. I hold that children have the same right of free association as do adults, and that it is up to each individual to navigate his or her way through the social waters. I do not believe that children should be forced to play or otherwise associate with other children whom they find to be unattractive for whatever reason.

Moreover, children should learn from a young age that to peg one’s sense of self-esteem upon what others think of them is to position one’s sense of worth and happiness upon that which they cannot control. This is the height of folly. ("What you think of me is none of my business.")

I was horrendously bullied in school for what I later came to realize was a then undiagnosed, relatively mild case of Tourette’s Syndrome and the then yet to be formulated diagnosis of ADHD which often accompanies the syndrome. Through my three-year ordeal in grade school (now what would be considered middle school—when bullying typically begins as the egos of kids become more developed and pronounced), I never lacked self-esteem, and all I wanted was to be left alone.

If the entire damn class had “sent me to Coventry” (shunned me), I would have been ecstatic! I had plenty of good friends around my neighborhood. I felt trapped as in a cage with wild animals conducted by a sadistic ringmaster (“Sister Mary Peter”). This is a common feeling held by school bullying victims, as also noted by Dr. Haber, and so often leads to a sense of despair.

I was, however, too ashamed to tell my family and friends what I had been enduring (and my inability to counter it) and hid it from them; something which I later learned is not at all an uncommon response with such youngsters. Indeed, this phenomenon can sometimes result in tragic consequences. The short story I wrote is centered on this theme.

At my anti-school bullying website, I counsel working with kids whose lack of social skills is part of their problem with school bullying, as had been the case with me. Some might call this “blaming the victim.” However, I disagree. Instilling good social graces within a youngster will benefit him or her throughout his or her entire life.

The motive for true bullying is always the same: sadism. With true bullying, there is no other motive beyond the act itself. Bullies find such to be pleasurable. From their ranks came the gulag and concentration camp guards of the Stalin-Hitler era. It is personal only in the sense that once a kid has been marked as a victim by bullies, they will be relentless. Otherwise, it is not. Until the rise of the internet age, bullies never even thought about their victims when out of sight. They do not see their victims as “persons” in the full sense of the word, just as adult torturers for dictatorial regimes do not. If it hadn’t been this kid, then another vulnerable youngster would have done just as well as an outlet for their perverted personalities and aggression.

I believe that sometimes other forms of school aggression are wrongfully mistaken for and classified as bullying. I believe such was the case with the late Phoebe Prince. (Apparently her family agrees with me as indicated by a statement from their spokeswoman.) But that is a topic for another discussion.

At my anti-school bullying website, I sell nothing nor accept advertisements. On occasion, I will review books that cost money and recommend such if I feel as though they have merit. In such instances, I never have any association with the publishers or authors and never profit from them.

The best book I have read thus far on the subject of school bullying is by Dr. Joel Haber, a clinical psychologist. If you are a parent, or hope to be one day, I would wholeheartedly recommend this seminal work on the subject. As noted within my review, I have only one point of disagreement with Dr. Haber, the one I alluded to previously in this note. If any would care to read my review of Bullypoof Your Child for Life, here is the URL:

http://wwwdnschneidercom.xbuild.com/#/links-page-60/4533834490

I was a tiny, tiny kid. I look back and I see i was very pretty, but I felt ugly and dirty. I went to school with rich kids but my family did not have money and I was different - from a European kind of hippy family and I was weird, always joking and making kids laugh with funny routines. But with my poor clothes and strange ways (total tomboy with hand-me-down toughskins and greek fisherman caps while all the other kids were wearing Sasson and Jordache), I was also a target of the rich ***** clique. From 6th grade on, I was targeted by groups of these girls who would surround me and mock my clothes, my socks, etc., calling me horrible names.
The result, although i was scared to death, I stood my ground and I fought. They'd threaten to beat me up and I would show up and fight. I was not a tough kid but I used my fists as best as I could, repeatedly, for three years.
I'd often have to fight kids much, much bigger than me. It was awful.
I told my mom about kids wanting to fight me and she just said, "You want me to come watch?" I told my older brothers and they just taught me to fight. One time, I told one brother about this huge chick who wanted to kill me. he said, "Oh yeah? Come on." he made me sit on the handle bars of his bike and we went to find her. I thought he was going to tell her off. Instead, when we found her he pushed me off and said, "Now go fight her!" Poor me!
I remember the turning point, at least as far as the physical fighting occurred. I was so worn down from always having to fight and be scared in the halls so one of my brothers said, "Put this piece of glass between your knuckles and the first person to bother you, slice their face open."
I went to school angry and determined that I would fight my last fight. But no one bothered me that day and I never had to physically fight at school again. I think I had an air that made the kids pause.
I also later found out that on occasion, I had back-up I never knew I had. Turns out that the Chola girls really respected me. This little thing bravely standing up to groups of girls or bigger girls and not backing down. So, they started to stand behind me, silently and unbeknownst to me, intimidating the girls trying to hurt me. The girls would thereafter only try to get me when I was alone.
I am so thankful to my brothers and my parents who taught me to fight back. I'm glad they made me tough. I know that's not always the solution but it was right for me. My mom tells me of a story that I can't recall, but she does. She was called to the school because apparently, I broke a girl's nose. I was in trouble. But not with my mom. She said, "Too bad, but that girl has been harassing my daughter. My kid did what she had to and I won't apologize for that and neither will she." Yay mom!
I also do not regret for one moment the bullying I was subject to. It taught me that there are some rotten, shifty fascists out there and taught me how to deal with such people. A scared little thing with toothpick legs and knobby knees, I grew up to be a tenacious person who won't back down and who is not afraid to tackle huge challenges. I think it has made me a very good lawyer. I don't take crappola! And that's my story.

respectfully snipped by me
...I also do not regret for one moment the bullying I was subject to. It taught me that there are some rotten, shifty fascists out there and taught me how to deal with such people. A scared little thing with toothpick legs and knobby knees, I grew up to be a tenacious person who won't back down and who is not afraid to tackle huge challenges. I think it has made me a very good lawyer. I don't take crappola! And that's my story.

I earnestly celebrate with you that "all things worked together for good" in your life, but my heart still aches for the little girl who should have been free to enjoy the sweetness of youth and better protected. You took good care of her though! :blowkiss:

Me and my brother went to the same Catholic school for pre-school till 8th grade. We then went on to a Catholic High school.

I put I was never personally bullied but someone close to me was. I was never bullied but I was frozen out and ignored in 5th grade for no reason at all. The next three years of middle school I was popular in my class. I could be catty at times but I never was a bully. I was the only girl in my class who befriended the autistic girl. I don't think she was bullied but she was ignored and left out. Her mother actually thanked me for being friends with her at our 8th grade graduation. (we didn't know she was autistic at the time we just knew she was "different".) The most popular girl in my class was who got to dictate the pecking order. I was always second in line for some reason unknown to me because I am such a quiet shy girl except for 5th grade when she decided to freeze me out and everyone followed her.
In high school I was mostly average in the middle but my brothers friends did kinda tease me. I was always and still am a shy, quiet person so I was mostly ignored and in the middle of the spectrum during high school.

My brother was horribly bullied in his grade and middle school years. It was so horrible and I think it affected him for life. I have no idea why he was picked on and bullied. Maybe they just needed to pick on someone to make themselves boost their own self-esteem or to feel superior and he was the unlucky one who got chosen? He was always different as he got older. When he was in the 7th grade he became "goth" and listened to industrial and metal music when hip hop and pop was what was trendy but before that he did nothing to differentiate himself from his classmates.

He went on to Catholic High School and his bullies went on to the public school. In high school the majority of the boys saw him at McDonalds one day and apologized to him. His main bully never did apologize to him and when he went to the public high school he got bullied and tormented every day. The tables had turned on him. I do feel kinda bad that his main bully became the one who got bullied in high school but I also feel that sort of a karmic justice had taken place.

In High School my brother had friends and was popular within his group of friends. I was so happy to see him become happy and have friends, girlfriends, and go out to parties and be in a garage band even if they did tease me in a little sister sorta way.

I think the movie Bang Bang Your Dead is a great movie on kids who are bullied and the actor Ben Foster did a great job and playing the part of a bullied boy.

I can remember being bullied when I was in 3rd grade. I remember her full name and I can remember exactly what she looked like. She was very tall and because of her height, she bullied everyone. She would chase certain kids around the playground during recess or wait for them after school and "beat them up" along with the name-calling. Being that young, I was really afraid of her. Fast forward to high school, she didn't bully anymore and quickly became a social outcast.

Bullying has dramatically escalated since I was young. I just can't imagine being a young kid today.. to be picked on, bullied, kicked, punched and possibly stabbed/shot, left for dead. It's a different world today then when I was young.

Update on me: I just located one of my chief tormentors:razz: from elementary school on Facebook, through mutual acquaintances. I sent him a note telling him how I feel. I'm shaking still right now, but it sure feels good to have told him off, which I wasn't able to do in person at my reunion!!!

Well all I can say is to this day I will not attend high school reunions..... In jr. high I was friends with everyone... homecoming court... life was fun, but then high school started and I have no clue what happened.... It was weird no one was friends with the same people anymore and the battle lines were drawn....my only best best friends moved away so I just sort of drifted around with everyone... now with facebook there are alot of people that seemed to not like me and hung with the group of girls who terrorized me now want to be my friend.... and yes I have hit the ignore button on them and some of the ahole guys who went along with it....
The most scariest incident happened when I took a break at Kroger's where I worked and went to McDonalds to get me and a coworker some dinner... I went through the drive thru and found myself blocked in and this chick whose ugly butt boyfriend would not leave me alone tried to pull me out of my camaro by my neck and hair and left scratch marks everywhere.... I was so scared to hit the car in front of me becaUSE i WAS IN DRIVE THE WHOLE TIME MORE WORRIED ABOUT WRECKING MY CAR THAN MY HEAD GETTING WHACKED AT.... THE SECURITY GUARD JUST STOOD THERE AND WATCHED! After she ran off her buddies ran up to the car and said it wasn't over and told me to watch my back.....
I finally get back to work all shook up ..... she ripped my 1/2 carat diamond off my neck that my college boyfrind gave me as a promise diamond.... My coworkers called the police and ya know what... there was nothing they could do because I was 18 and she was 17....
She even wrote messages on the bathroom wall at school that I was gonna die on a certain date..... man was I freakin..... but well I am still here.....
She tried to run me and my mom off the road as well.....
My mom was a teacher and her dad lived by the vice principle so I was watched like a hawk and was always told to walk away and would be in more trouble at home if I got in a fight .... the school never did anything and my mom always told me to ignore ignorance that the fat girls were just jealous of me.....
I never understood why certain people were so mean to me.... I was raised in a strict southern baptist home, was a girl scout, in band, honors classes, and never met a stranger in my life... to this day I am nice to everyone no matter how much I don't agree or dislike them
Another thing is I was called a *advertiser censored* and was accused of dating guys that I was not even in the state at the time or even hung out with... I have always hung with more guys than girls and get along with foreigners better than american women.... go figure? Thank God I married aman in the military and have the chance to live overseas and really get to know women on a personal level and that there are normal girls out there like me.... college was like that for me too before I got married... well the brief time I was there half a year....
Now my oldest is going through that here in Illinois so guess what we seeked out and got orders and are moving back overseas this time Germany because I can't stand the the way bullying is handled here in American schools....

I am so on her all the time about being nice and not talking crap about people.... that everyone is equal no matter what their background or race...she always includes the kids that get picked on in her group... the popular kids as she calls them get everything and never get into trouble at school... they have lived in this small town all of their lives... ya know the crew... they think because she's loud, laid back, and likes to joke and wears her hair different all the time and listens to rock music instead of rap or country that she is weird and say crappy things to her... but then they are friends....
I just tell her to ignore them they are either intimidated by you or are jealous.... she has had a rack to die for since 6th grade....lol
But if they swing first and you decide to fight back you better go down swinging....DO NOT RAISE A HAND TO ANYONE unless they swing first....
This may sound bad but sometimes you have to show strength to get them to leave you alone.....

Update on me: I just located one of my chief tormentors:razz: from elementary school on Facebook, through mutual acquaintances. I sent him a note telling him how I feel. I'm shaking still right now, but it sure feels good to have told him off, which I wasn't able to do in person at my reunion!!!
Well, well, there is hope after all! This guy, one of my bullies, the one whom I wrote, just wrote me back on Facebook and apologized! I never thought I'd see the day!!! Has Hell frozen over???

How come I can't vote? Boo!

Anywho, I was bullied horribly as a child. The best thing about the internet is the ability to see those same mongrels roll past on Facebook's suggestions and realize that Karma kind of does take care of it.

If I had a dollar for every cherub faced girl that grew into a moon faced beast I would be able to pay for all of the therapy they caused me.

I am vindicated in my own quiet (but mean spirited, admittedly) way.

JDzWife, I had a similar bully back in 4th grade. She was 5'2" and one of the tallest kids in the grade. I was around 4'-something and one of the shortest. Ironically I was 4 months older than she was.

She never really did anything physical, it was all mental/emotional. More mental than emotional. Made fun of me for being short, for the way I held my pencil in class (made no sense as I held it the same way everybody else in class did!), and other such stupid things you could bully a kid for.

Here's the funny part-- after 5th grade I didn't see this girl again. That is, until I started 9th grade. I didn't know she was going to my high school. And yet another funny thing happened: somehow this girl, after not seeing me for almost five years, on top of me changing my appearance and getting much taller, somehow recognized who I was from the back.

As in, she didn't even see my face or anything, just the back of me, and she knew who I was. (also strange because in elementary school I had a ponytail; it was gone by the time I started high school).

And while I grew to 5'10", she stayed at 5'2". She acted like she'd never bullied me, either, and would deny it when I brought it up. But I knew better. Then the....well, not the revelation, but the way she acted around me, it seemed that she may have had some sort of crush on me. But I hold a hell of a grudge, so if she'd have said anything, I probably wouldn't have gone out with her. I should work on that character flaw, but dang it, when you've been bullied extensively, for years and years, you tend to hold grudges against those who tried to ruin childhood for you. :dance:

I was bullied horribly from sixth grade until tenth.... I was actually abused emotionally and physically. I was a very sensitive child and very introverted, and I became prey growing up in New York Schools. It did however alter my personality, I am now a passive/aggressive, I have a long wick so to speak but I also don't and I mean don't take any poop from anyone.

My youngest son was bullied and he is the most loving, sweet little boy. I wanted to tell him to beat them senseless, but I opted to teach him at home and surround him with civilized children whose parents are part of their lives as opposed to those whose just don't seem to care. It works out well for us and is a viable option to protect one from the bullying.

I was bullied a lot as a kid it took a big toll on me that i still have trouble relating to people and trusting them at times. As you were saying i know of a few of the kids who picked on me that are in jail one of them snapped on an off duty cop and stabbed him.

http://secondcitysarge.blogspot.com/2007/03/5-men-charged-in-lincoln-park-cop.html

This happened to a couple of my bullies too. Most notably, back in 2007, my 11th grade bully ended up in prison because he tried to rob an older gentleman, and in the process, actually ended up killing him. I can't find the link as of now but he's still in prison, and not to mention he actually got my friend's brother in huge trouble, even though he was not involved in the situation.

weird how so many recall/report being bullied, while so few view(ed) themselves as the bully

actually... i should have read this whole thread before i said that. i'm sure it's been analyzed already. :)

ON EDIT: Okay, I just ran through the thread and saw that 1) the observation I made above has not actually been discussed; 2) the bullied far more outweigh the bullies than I even thought at first (it was harder to tell in the poll because there was only one category for bullying, really); and 3) nearly all those who said they bullied at all described it as "bullying bullies," or at most admitted to bullying one kid or in one situation.

This puzzles me.... Where did all those chronic bullies come from??? Is there no one among us who, say, laid into other kids on a regular and relentless basis? No one like the kids who bullied Phoebe Prince?

I'm for sure not saying anyone is lying or even withholding but it is strange. I can't imagine that only the bullied want to weigh in.... Weird.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I think we need one that says:
I was both bullied and was the bully at times

In my case, I was a bully one time, and it was back in sixth grade (I've since apologized and patched things up). Interesting to note that the person I bullied actually was one of my only friends at the time. But other than that, I've pretty much been the one to be bullied.

It happens a lot to people in areas like this.

ETA: It's not to say that all inner-city areas are like this (some are, but not all) but there seems to be some preconceived notion in some places that if you're of a certain race, that you shouldn't try to better yourself, and that's pretty awful to me. Stranger still, other kids that were like me didn't get such volatile treatment (probably because they had, damn I hate this word, "ghetto" tendencies while at the same time being very book smart).

I was bullied and cyberstalked. It was actually a crime and started off when I first went on the internet. It was before I had an accident and I could write and did write. People were jealous of me for stupid reasons and they started off doing things like hacking my computer, always going online when I was there, following me from board to board, etc.

I worked for a man online, and then he started to scare me in many crazy ways. He and another bullied me and even went as far as saying drugs were being sent to me and more people started bullying me. My computer kept being hacked.

One day I was at a store and a man followed me. I assumed it was the one from the line. I told the security and they looked for the man and he took off. They walked me to my car and we thought I was safe. They went back in the store, and then I took off, got to the end of the parking lot and my brakes were tampered with. Needless to say, I got off line for years and didn't go back online till I found a safe crime line.

I had complete faith in the owner and he is a doll. He brought me back from the cyberstalking, my accident and lack of writing. I am forever grateful. Also, I bought a new computer and shut off all lines I was ever on and changed my phone number.

I find WS safe but some here just started playing some games. One woman wrote to me at home and started complaining about an issue and then bothered me. Funny, a close friend of mine started conversing with her so I guess online is not all that fun still, yet-----> WS has the most compassionate people I have ever met. You know you can always count on people here.

I love Trish and the moderators as they do not let people harm you or put up with petty stuff or game playing. WS is safe and that is due to who is running it. :woohoo:

I have enjoyed reading the stories here and the people who admit they were bullies years later. How nice to know people can change. Applause.

Thanks for letting me share and feel safe again.

Bless you
Goz

I was bullied as a child...braces on the teeth, thick glasses, and dorky clothes. My daughter was sexually assaulted at school. The admins were doing nothing, some of teachers witnessed the incidents but the boy was only suspended for a few days. We had to take her out of school and put her in alternative classroom off campus. She also had to go to counseling, moved past it and is now in the Army Reserve, spent a year in Iraq, made it home and taking college classes. She's smart and beautiful. What angers me is that school admin and teachers did nothing to protect her, and I'm sure that boy is out there assaulting women today as I write this. He was never punished enough in my mind, a 3 day suspension where he was home playing video games doesn't cut it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back