Pope Benedict XVI resigned-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina has been elected

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by CarmelEyesD, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CarmelEyesD

CarmelEyesD Active Member

2. Loading...

3. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

4. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

Wow, did not see this coming.

5. CarmelEyesD

CarmelEyesD Active Member

Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign on February 28 because of his failing health, saying he no longer has the strength to carry out his duties.His statement was posted on the Vatican Radio website.

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," the pontiff's statement said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ict-xvi-to-resign-on-feb-28-vatican-says?lite

6. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

I started a thread on this too, but it's downstairs. Here is an article from his last birthday, which is interesting to read again now:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-xvi-john-paul

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI turned 85 on Monday (April 16) amid renewed speculation about his declining health and possible resignation.

7. josie1986

josie1986 Verified Juanette

Hmm I never got the same feeling towards him as I did with JP, he was a wonderful person imo had a very warm demeanour.

Hopefully the will appoint someone slightly younger?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Apparently it has been 600 years since the last Pope resigned.

9. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

I never "warmed up" to this pope for some reason. Pope John Paul had all the qualities of a good leader and even the young generation looked up to him. Just my perception and I could be totally off.

I'm hoping our next one will be younger and can address some of the issues dealing with our younger generation. I believe the Catholic faith needs restructuring. Not sure I'm using the right term but it needs to be more inviting to the young. They have done a lousy job in that area, imo.

My :twocents: as a Catholic

Not sure too many young men are looking at priesthood and that is another big problem the Catholics face.

Anyway, wishing the Pope a healthy retirement.

10. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

:what: Wow

11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

This caught me WAY off guard. God bless you Pope Benedict XVI, and may the Holy Spirit help guide the Cardinals to select the right successor for you, in Jesus' Holy Name, amen!

12. MagicRose99

MagicRose99 Watch out for my thorns!

Pope John Paul II was the youngest Pope ever put in office. I think that was the purpose - to lure the young people back to the faith. But, because he was so young he lasted much longer in office that anyone thought he would - too many policies and dictates did/could he make - so now I doubt they'll ever elect a "young" Pope again.

13. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

I think most never warmed to this pope because overall he has the personality of a scholar, which he has always been. Not all popes can and do have the personality of a JPII or John XXIII. While a lot of news has been focused during his papacy on his conservative nature, not a lot has been paid to what he has written on the environment, politics, immigration, and economics and labor (American Catholics who vote republican should take note, but surely haven't or won't).

From what I have read, I don't think that Benedict wanted the Papacy to begin with, so while it's a bit of a surprise, it certainly isn't a shock now that I think on it. I wish him a restful and healthy retirement.

That said, I am hoping that the next pope will be chosen from among the central or south American church.

That's MO for what it's worth, as an on-again, off-again Catholic lol.

14. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

I'm not sure it was so much his age as it was his charisma, plus political interests in that he was from Poland.

15. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

I think Pope Benedict XVI did a good job filling some HUGE shoes.

It is odd that he would resign mid-Lent, rather than waiting until after Easter. That makes me think his health is rapidly declining. :(

16. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

You're right, Dark Knight. I know the Holy Week is particularly grueling for Popes - he must have wanted to avoid that, by resigning prior to it.

17. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/02/11/pope-resign

18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

If "Peter the Roman" is elected next, as prophesied by Malachi, he will be the final pope in this world. Just something that crossed my mind today.

19. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

How is it decided? TIA

20. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

A conclave is called, and the cardinals remain in meeting until by vote a successor is chosen.

21. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

Am I the only one who thinks he may have resigned for other reasons? He has been called into question for the way he handled the sex scandal at times. Maybe something was going to come out?