Possible match - duct tape found on gas cans seized from Anthony's home

Checking the docs p3220

The cans were collected off GA 8/1/08
Returned to CA 8/13/08

Photo taken around 8/1/08, so prior to cans being taken by LE

Yes I see that and we hope, but if the intrepid reporters saw them taking gas cans they would have said. If NG actually knew something extra she would say LOUDLY.

Besides if the best case is that LE eventually took the cans again in December searches, the the Duct Tape is less relevant because the cans have been in use another 4 months or so. What would be the relevance of anything found on them then?

Bolded by me.

If that gas can, the one that showed in the picture from August, had a piece of duct tape that did match the manufacture, lot number, roll etc to the tape that was used on Caylee and at the dump site that would mean that someone who had access to the cans from the A's home also had access to the tape used on Caylee. That would IMHO narrow the list of people who would have access to both to be a very few.
You have George, Cindy, Casey, and Lee now that Cindy has said he had used them and then possible would have to include Mallory because of Lee. You would have to include Tony because he admitted breaking into the shed with Casey and anyone else that the A's have said 'borrowed' the cans. There was the police report of them being stolen, but we now also know it was Casey by her own admission.
The fact that Casey had them, she could then claim she let Larry, Moe and Curly and Mickey Mouse borrow them and they put the duct tape on the can but at least it would be a starting point for the user of the duct tape, if not the owner of the duct tape.
Fingerprints on the underside of the tape on the can could determine who put it there. Of couse that does not mean anything in itself because the covering of the vent hole was most likley done to change the speed of the flow of gas when pouring it out. Now if those prints end up not being from anyone of that narrow list of people then that opens up an entire different set of questions.
MOO

Poirot - I found the video from the December search on cfnews.com - it's kinda long. I think this is the LAST search they did, just after crime scene was released. It's the one where they took multiple vacuum cleaners, shop vac, the insecticide sprayer, etc., but i haven't finished watching the whole thing. I think there were two searches in December, so maybe it is in the the other one? I'll pass it along when I find that one. Must go to bed soon, falling over tired, and brain is now numb, LOL.

Poirot - I found the video from the December search on cfnews.com - it's kinda long. I think this is the LAST search they did, just after crime scene was released. It's the one where they took multiple vacuum cleaners, shop vac, the insecticide sprayer, etc., but i haven't finished watching the whole thing. I think there were two searches in December, so maybe it is in the the other one? I'll pass it along when I find that one. Must go to bed soon, falling over tired, and brain is now numb, LOL.
Can you show a link and we can watch it for you and it will be all sorted when you get up?

Can you show a link and we can watch it for you and it will be all sorted when you get up?

Sorry, Just saw this message. I did finish the video from December search, which was, I think the very last search they did at the end of the day when they released the scene. I did NOT see any gas cans in that video. So, now I am wondering if it was in the earlier search from December.

I did see the gas can in a video taken from the search in August(?), summer time, everyone wearing short sleeves.

Will try to post the link to December video so anyone who is interested can have it for reference.

Sorry, Just saw this message. I did finish the video from December search, which was, I think the very last search they did at the end of the day when they released the scene. I did NOT see any gas cans in that video. So, now I am wondering if it was in the earlier search from December.

I did see the gas can in a video taken from the search in August(?), summer time, everyone wearing short sleeves.

Will try to post the link to December video so anyone who is interested can have it for reference.
Thanks.
The documents are clear that LE did not take any duct tape off the cans when they had them first. In fact they did not comment on it.

Why in the world would there be duct tape on one of the gas cans?

Did she rip too small a piece and stick it there to get it out of the way? That seems to be the only explanation that I can see.
(bold above by me)

It probably isn't much help for this discussion, but I can understand duct tape on a fuel can.

Labeling. Is it regular gas? Mix gas (any boaters out there, or chain saws)? Diesel fuel? White gas for camping?

Truth be told, I'm more prone to expect a fuel container to be labeled. On any construction site in the U.S. it's an OSHA violation for one not to be, and it's one of their favorite "gotcha" citations.

(bold above by me)

It probably isn't much help for this discussion, but I can understand duct tape on a fuel can.

Labeling. Is it regular gas? Mix gas (any boaters out there, or chain saws)? Diesel fuel? White gas for camping?

Truth be told, I'm more prone to expect a fuel container to be labeled. On any construction site in the U.S. it's an OSHA violation for one not to be, and it's one of their favorite "gotcha" citations.
Getting OT, but the tape to me looks like it is sealing the vent hole?

A silly thing to do, possibly something you MIGHT do to transport full can without gas splashing out the vent. I imagine it might be a temp thing while cans in trunk, but removed or partially lifted later. It would not be adisable to leave it over the vent, especially in hot environment?

The duct tape was right underneath the spout, a common place for old metal gas cans
to leak.

Getting OT, but the tape to me looks like it is sealing the vent hole?

A silly thing to do, possibly something you MIGHT do to transport full can without gas splashing out the vent. I imagine it might be a temp thing while cans in trunk, but removed or partially lifted later. It would not be adisable to leave it over the vent, especially in hot environment?
It might be sealing something, but it might just not be applied perfectly flat. Can't tell for certain in that photo. I think that if it were covering a vent the irregularity would be much larger.

In general fuel storage containers, especially metal (as opposed to HDPE) are designed specifically with issues of spillage and expansion in mind. There is even a certain amount of regulation involved (good ol' big brother). While I can conjecture reasons for using duct tape other than labeling as easily as anyone else, that purpose comes to mind first, and for me remains most likely.

Unless you've got some other photos.

It might be sealing something, but it might just not be applied perfectly flat. Can't tell for certain in that photo. I think that if it were covering a vent the irregularity would be much larger.

In general fuel storage containers, especially metal (as opposed to HDPE) are designed specifically with issues of spillage and expansion in mind. There is even a certain amount of regulation involved (good ol' big brother). While I can conjecture reasons for using duct tape other than labeling as easily as anyone else, that purpose comes to mind first, and for me remains most likely.

Unless you've got some other photos.
No other photo have come to light and I have asked.

Just to bring it back On T

It still seems to me the tape was not taken into evidence.

The duct tape was right underneath the spout, a common place for old metal gas cans
to leak.
I was thinking it was beside the vent hole. Note small yellow blob just beyond tape. That looked like it might be the vent hole cap.

ETA:
You're right , Hercule. Not germane to discussion.

I think the duct tape they need to test would be the roll she borrow from Amy before
"no Clothes party" not one on the gas cans. Does anyone know what might happen to the roll she borrow was Amy?

I think the duct tape they need to test would be the roll she borrow from Amy before
"no Clothes party" not one on the gas cans. Does anyone know what might happen to the roll she borrow was Amy?
She could have used any roll. The one from Amy woul be one to look at IF it is available.

It may also be a roll that was available in the Anthony garage? If there was one there after July 16th I am sure LE looked at that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back