Possible matches for UID Longview, TX woman

The eyebrow shape is totally different too.. I'm with you.. I don't see it either

I'm pretty sure I've raised this before but I only just saw the age progression:

LEKR vs Melissa Highsmith age progression. I know it's only an age progression but these two are remarkably similar.

ZtvV8H7.png

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/highsmith_melissa.html

Melissa Highsmith went missing aged 20 months in August 1971 from Fort Worth, Texas. She was abducted by a woman, so it's quite plausible that Melissa grew up with an identity that wasn't her own.

BST died in December 1971, while LEKR would have been a toddler - close enough in age to assume that identity.

Has it been ruled out that LEKR lived under the BST identity as a child? Could the name change have been prompted by realizing that she was not who she thought she was.

I'm pretty sure I've raised this before but I only just saw the age progression:

LEKR vs Melissa Highsmith age progression. I know it's only an age progression but these two are remarkably similar.

ZtvV8H7.png

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/highsmith_melissa.html

Melissa Highsmith went missing aged 20 months in August 1971 from Fort Worth, Texas. She was abducted by a woman, so it's quite plausible that Melissa grew up with an identity that wasn't her own.

BST died in December 1971, while LEKR would have been a toddler - close enough in age to assume that identity.

Has it been ruled out that LEKR lived under the BST identity as a child? Could the name change have been prompted by realizing that she was not who she thought she was.

I think the only thing that could be done is sending an email or contacting the places listed on The Doe Network. Not sure how quickly they tend to the DNA matching, but they do have Melissa Highsmith's DNA on file and that of FLEK.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1902dftx.html

I have spoken to Melissa's sisters. They are aware of FLEK. I think they were considering doing DNA analysis.. This is NOT far fetched. I have seen pics of their whole family. There is a resemblance for sure. They are very private and have had lots of drama to deal with with fake claims of people saying they were their sister so they are very hesitant.. Do not contact them. No, seriously, don't. You will run them off. I am hoping they will in time consider trying to match. They want their sister to be alive, so they are not wanting this to be her. I totally get that.

I have spoken to Melissa's sisters. They are aware of FLEK. I think they were considering doing DNA analysis.. This is NOT far fetched. I have seen pics of their whole family. There is a resemblance for sure. They are very private and have had lots of drama to deal with with fake claims of people saying they were their sister so they are very hesitant.. Do not contact them. No, seriously, don't. You will run them off. I am hoping they will in time consider trying to match. They want their sister to be alive, so they are not wanting this to be her. I totally get that.

sorry, what I meant was emailing, writing or calling the contact information listed on the Doe Network page, not the family. I can't believe people would pretend to be the lost sister, that is horrible.

sorry, what I meant was emailing, writing or calling the contact information listed on the Doe Network page, not the family. I can't believe people would pretend to be the lost sister, that is horrible.

I'm sure it would be devastating for them, if FLEK were Melissa. But, FLEK has a girl who they could call niece.

I agree re: the resemblance! Good eye!

ETA: Melissa has been discussed as a match before, but I don't see that she was ever submitted.

Thank you for the positive responses and the news that this is being looked into. Clearly it would be deeply distressing for the family if she were identified, especially if a cause of her mental health issues were her loss of a sense of identity, which the age progression photo might have given her just a year or two after her death.

This is my original post, over 2 years ago, when MSH originally came to mind but at the time there can't have been an age progression or I'd have posted it.

At the time I wrote that MSH was in the fifteenth percentile for height (i.e., taller than 85% of children of her age group). 95th percentile for women's height is 5'9" or maybe a little less, in which case MSH as a toddler was a little shorter than adult fLEK but still taller than average, and children do grow at different rates.

The description of Ruth Johnson kind of fits to me because of the whole tea party thing and the "we don't do that" statements by FLEK. I have kind of thought she was raised by an older person, a grandma type. Does anyone think she may have been raised in London and came here to assume an identity? Still could be MSH and maybe Ruth Johnson took her out of the country? Not meaning to seem far fetched here, just trying to figure out how the passport and all that fits in. I mean, FLEK could have been raised ANYWHERE.

The description of Ruth Johnson kind of fits to me because of the whole tea party thing and the "we don't do that" statements by FLEK. I have kind of thought she was raised by an older person, a grandma type. Does anyone think she may have been raised in London and came here to assume an identity? Still could be MSH and maybe Ruth Johnson took her out of the country? Not meaning to seem far fetched here, just trying to figure out how the passport and all that fits in. I mean, FLEK could have been raised ANYWHERE.

I like your idea of "we don't do that" and being raised by an older woman. I doubt it was England, though, wouldn't she have had an accent? I know Australia has been batted about, as well, and I don't think that would be right. I would love to know whether she knew who she was, or if she had an idea that there was more to her own story than even she knew... This whole thing is so sad, and I can't help but get teary over her daughter being raised without a mom.

I'm lost. I thought Shirley Banning is thought to be dead.

Hmmm, I may be getting it wrong, but I thought that Linda9681 thought Shirley Banning looked a lot like "Ruth Johnson" who took MSH, and MSH might be FLEK. Shirley Banning is missing, but she went missing 4 yrs after MSH was abducted. Please correct me as needed, thanks! I'm so fascinated by this case.

Me too! This is one case that I keep coming back to check on. Of course, I'm amazed at how people can get a new identity! As a parent I can't disappear for 5 min without being found,lol.

Hmmm, I may be getting it wrong, but I thought that Linda9681 thought Shirley Banning looked a lot like "Ruth Johnson" who took MSH, and MSH might be FLEK. Shirley Banning is missing, but she went missing 4 yrs after MSH was abducted. Please correct me as needed, thanks! I'm so fascinated by this case.

I would say you are correct Sherlock K.C.!

The "Ruth Johnson" sketch looks very much like Shirley Banning, so I'd be interested to find out if detectives ever looked into a possible connection. What was it that someone was so concerned about Shirley revealing about a family member? What would have been so incriminating?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20
Back