Possible Victims: Iowa

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
JACOB HOBSON, senior at Iowa State University, found dead July 20, 2005 in Ames, IA. COD - blow to head and drowning in shallow creek after drinking.
http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=227091FF-5A5C-4824-92BD75E26A654B83

PAUL SHUMAN-MOORE, Grinnell student. Found in golf course pool 4/07 at beginning of season when pool opened up (under pool cover). ***Hands and legs bound with duct tape. Yet, suicide note found in room so ruled suicide.
http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2007/04-18-2007_GrinnellRelease.htm

According to investigators, duct tape had been loosely applied to SHUMAN-MOORE'S legs and hands, but based on examination of those bindings it is apparent the duct tape was self applied.

I am trying to put this in words that doesn't make me sound weird.... but if I wanted to control a victim I would make them apply the duct tape so I could keep my hands free and not have to go to close to them if I didn't want to leave physical injuries. Also as a victim I would put the duct tape on as loosely as possible in the hope I could free myself.

(I hope this thread isn't just for links but for discussion too)

According to investigators, duct tape had been loosely applied to SHUMAN-MOORE'S legs and hands, but based on examination of those bindings it is apparent the duct tape was self applied.

I am trying to put this in words that doesn't make me sound weird.... but if I wanted to control a victim I would make them apply the duct tape so I could keep my hands free and not have to go to close to them if I didn't want to leave physical injuries. Also as a victim I would put the duct tape on as loosely as possible in the hope I could free myself.

(I hope this thread isn't just for links but for discussion too)

I was wondering that too, but I think it is for discussion also. I think the duct tape sounds very odd, too. When watching the news of them finding him, I couldn't understand how or why someone would commit suicide by trapping themselves under a pool cover that was closed up for winter. It just makes no sense no matter how I look at it. :waitasec:

It seems a lot of these cases, it is reported that they were depressed or a note was found in their room. End of story - suicide. Maybe, but wow! What a bazaar way to do that!

I'm beginning to see how alot of these cases were closed so quickly- If ever there needed to be legislation about how missing persons cases need to be investigated uniformly, now is the time- sad to think that some of these men were left a legacy they did not deserve, renewing my resolve.

I would hazard a guess that they found a smiley face in the tunnel where Bolanos was found - assuming that the "tags" are the smiley faces.

According to Gilbertson, who also is an expert in gang activity, two unusual marks or "tags" have been found near the scene where a number of the drowning victims were found.

"Do you think they found it in the tunnel?" I asked.

"I don't think they would be in there this long if they didn't," Gilbertson said.

from: http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=18453015&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554432&rfi=6

I've looked into these deaths many times in the past several years & always wondered why nobody questioned a serial killer. Thank Gos someone is trying to find solutions. The poor families!!!

Having lived in Ames for over 30 years I am very familiar with the town and the route home identified in the paper. If they found his credit cards on Hayward, he most likely would have walked down Lincolnway(a major street) to get back to his dorm. Interestingly enough, there is an entrance to the underground river tunnels there that open up into Lake Laverne. The lake is probably three or so blocks east of the that location. It would be very easy for someone to move around the area underground. It is even possible (depending on how much water there was in the tunnels)that he could have entered the system near this area and floated to the lake. It did take four days for his body to be found and its not that the lake is large. It is actually a pond. His path home would not have put him on the path around the lake but on the sidewalk near the street. There are trees that separate the two.

When I heard about Abel being missing I was already aware of the missing college age men and the first thing I thought was "here is another one". So sad.

SS- just noticed this- Abel disappeared on eve of 3/31/07 in case you want to update post. I did that on a few of them myself :confused:

http://www.ketv.com/news/16165935/detail.html

Family members confirmed the body is that of an Atlantic man who was reported missing over the weekend. The man has been identified as Justin Hoeck, 26. Investigators could not confirm if the death was suspicious but said there were no indications of self-inflicted injuries.

Family members of Hoeck said he was last seen leaving a house party alone at about 4 a.m. Saturday.

The Atlantic Police Department is attempting to locate Justin Eugene Hoeck, 26, who was last seen walking from a residence in the area of Sixth and Laurel streets in Atlantic Saturday between 3:30 and 4:30 a.m.

A department spokesperson said Hoeck's family is attempting to locate him. Hoeck was believed to be wearing a black T-shirt, blue jeans and blue and green tennis shoes. He is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, weighs 145 pounds and has short, brown hair and glasses.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19661827&BRD=2703&PAG=461&dept_id=555106&rfi=6

Family continues to search for missing 19-year-old man
By Steven Martens
Saturday, May 10, 2008

CLINTON, Iowa — It was three months ago Friday that Benjamin Roseland left a friend’s apartment in Clinton to walk a few blocks to Hy-Vee and get a snack before going to bed.

He never made it to the store and hasn’t been seen or heard from since Feb. 9.

[...]

Family members also wonder if Roseland’s disappearance is related to the “Smiley Face Killer,” whom investigators believe could be linked to the deaths of as many as 40 male college students in the Great Lakes area.
Full article: click here

Justin Hoeck was found face down in a concrete culvert.

Culvert=channel to carry water under a road or rr tracks.

No outward sign of cause of death.

I think we should probably keep Justin for now as a 'suspicious death.'

JMHO
fran

Justin Hoeck was found face down in a concrete culvert.

Culvert=channel to carry water under a road or rr tracks.

No outward sign of cause of death.

I think we should probably keep Justin for now as a 'suspicious death.'

JMHO
fran

yes Fran, that's why I thought it was a good idea, thanks. There is no signs of trauma, and they have not been able to determine COD at autopsy.
I have not been able to determine if there was any water in the culvert when he went missing or found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back