Possible Victims: Iowa

Discussion in 'Deaths of Male College Students/The River Killers' started by SeriouslySearching, Apr 27, 2008.

1. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Active Member

2. Loading...

3. laini

laini cemetery walker

JACOB HOBSON, senior at Iowa State University, found dead July 20, 2005 in Ames, IA. COD - blow to head and drowning in shallow creek after drinking.
    http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=227091FF-5A5C-4824-92BD75E26A654B83

PAUL SHUMAN-MOORE, Grinnell student. Found in golf course pool 4/07 at beginning of season when pool opened up (under pool cover). ***Hands and legs bound with duct tape. Yet, suicide note found in room so ruled suicide.
    http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2007/04-18-2007_GrinnellRelease.htm

4. laini

laini cemetery walker

5. aussie_mum

aussie_mum New Member

According to investigators, duct tape had been loosely applied to SHUMAN-MOORE'S legs and hands, but based on examination of those bindings it is apparent the duct tape was self applied.

I am trying to put this in words that doesn't make me sound weird.... but if I wanted to control a victim I would make them apply the duct tape so I could keep my hands free and not have to go to close to them if I didn't want to leave physical injuries. Also as a victim I would put the duct tape on as loosely as possible in the hope I could free myself.

(I hope this thread isn't just for links but for discussion too)

6. laini

laini cemetery walker

I was wondering that too, but I think it is for discussion also. I think the duct tape sounds very odd, too. When watching the news of them finding him, I couldn't understand how or why someone would commit suicide by trapping themselves under a pool cover that was closed up for winter. It just makes no sense no matter how I look at it. :waitasec:

It seems a lot of these cases, it is reported that they were depressed or a note was found in their room. End of story - suicide. Maybe, but wow! What a bazaar way to do that!

7. aj1020

aj1020 Inactive

8. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

I'm beginning to see how alot of these cases were closed so quickly- If ever there needed to be legislation about how missing persons cases need to be investigated uniformly, now is the time- sad to think that some of these men were left a legacy they did not deserve, renewing my resolve.

9. aj1020

aj1020 Inactive

I would hazard a guess that they found a smiley face in the tunnel where Bolanos was found - assuming that the "tags" are the smiley faces.

from: http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=18453015&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554432&rfi=6

10. cheko1

cheko1 New Member

I've looked into these deaths many times in the past several years & always wondered why nobody questioned a serial killer. Thank Gos someone is trying to find solutions. The poor families!!!

11. cmofames

cmofames New Member

Having lived in Ames for over 30 years I am very familiar with the town and the route home identified in the paper. If they found his credit cards on Hayward, he most likely would have walked down Lincolnway(a major street) to get back to his dorm. Interestingly enough, there is an entrance to the underground river tunnels there that open up into Lake Laverne. The lake is probably three or so blocks east of the that location. It would be very easy for someone to move around the area underground. It is even possible (depending on how much water there was in the tunnels)that he could have entered the system near this area and floated to the lake. It did take four days for his body to be found and its not that the lake is large. It is actually a pond. His path home would not have put him on the path around the lake but on the sidewalk near the street. There are trees that separate the two.

When I heard about Abel being missing I was already aware of the missing college age men and the first thing I thought was "here is another one". So sad.

12. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

SS- just noticed this- Abel disappeared on eve of 3/31/07 in case you want to update post. I did that on a few of them myself :confused:

13. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

Did anyone ever report on what type of animal bones were also found at the scene with his remains??

14. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

15. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

http://www.ketv.com/news/16165935/detail.html

Family members confirmed the body is that of an Atlantic man who was reported missing over the weekend. The man has been identified as Justin Hoeck, 26. Investigators could not confirm if the death was suspicious but said there were no indications of self-inflicted injuries.

Family members of Hoeck said he was last seen leaving a house party alone at about 4 a.m. Saturday.

The Atlantic Police Department is attempting to locate Justin Eugene Hoeck, 26, who was last seen walking from a residence in the area of Sixth and Laurel streets in Atlantic Saturday between 3:30 and 4:30 a.m.

A department spokesperson said Hoeck's family is attempting to locate him. Hoeck was believed to be wearing a black T-shirt, blue jeans and blue and green tennis shoes. He is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, weighs 145 pounds and has short, brown hair and glasses.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19661827&BRD=2703&PAG=461&dept_id=555106&rfi=6

16. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

17. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Staff Member Moderator

Family continues to search for missing 19-year-old man
    By Steven Martens
    Saturday, May 10, 2008

Full article: click here

18. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Oh no, thanks for finding and posting this.

19. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

20. fran

fran Former Member

Justin Hoeck was found face down in a concrete culvert.

Culvert=channel to carry water under a road or rr tracks.

No outward sign of cause of death.

I think we should probably keep Justin for now as a 'suspicious death.'

JMHO
    fran

21. Blink34

Blink34 Former Member

yes Fran, that's why I thought it was a good idea, thanks. There is no signs of trauma, and they have not been able to determine COD at autopsy.
    I have not been able to determine if there was any water in the culvert when he went missing or found.