Post Verdict - Ross Harris Trial

Discussion in 'Cooper Harris' started by tlcya, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotAng

ScotAng Well-Known Member

I hear you, I don't doubt the emotion. Some of my strongest emotional reactions were brought on by angry frustration.

'The Courtroom as a Stage' - many stories out there from attorneys world-wide.

2. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

Hi Raymonde!

I don't have a response to your comment but it seems that in Georgia it's not unusual to charge defendants with both malice murder and felony murder. In another case here on WS:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2-beaten-to-death-McDonough-17-Nov-2015/page3

It states that:

http://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_n...cle_ffcf59f4-b0d5-11e6-aa0b-1bfcde5f114c.html

I wish we had a Georgia lawyer on the thread to properly explain how this works - and why it wouldn't be considered double jeopardy - but apparently it's not unusual to see both charges in homicide cases in Georgia.

In yet another Georgia case defendant Steven Mobley was found guilty of both malice murder and felony murder.

I am assuming that the jury did understand the judge's explanation.

3. monkeypants

monkeypants Do or do not there is no try.

It's laying ground work for sympathy for appeal

4. ScotAng

ScotAng Well-Known Member

<rsforpoint> Have you given it any more thought about asking her Peach?

5. NCTeacher

NCTeacher Well-Known Member

6. Magdalyn

Magdalyn New Member

Exactly.

Looking at the Malice charge, jury felt Malice was present.

Now moving on to the Felony Murder charge, jury felt the felony of 'cruelty to children in the first degree' was present.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/7-keys-justin-ross-harris-trial/nq6B3/

7. rob

rob Active Member

I'm southern and religious and I don't believe that for one minute. If they are so forgiving they can't see a pervert and a killer go to prison for his crimes, they are in the wrong profession. Didn't the lead attorney used to be a prosecuter? What did he do then, let every one who said they had found Jesus go? I believe most of the accused find Jesus once they find themselves in jail.
    I think they don't like losing, they are already working on the appeal by putting such crap out in the media, hoping future jurors will see and hear and have sympathy for ole RH.
    The bible does say to forgive, but it also says to suffer the burden that your sin has caused. RH can get to prison and possibly do some good for the other inmates. Maybe his religion will now be real, instead of a social function.
    MOO

8. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

9. MrX

MrX Well-Known Member

In hindsight, as DT, I would have stayed out of the weeds:
    * With every "sex" witness I would have said "Thank you for taking part in our justice system, we won't detain you any longer. No further questions."
    * I would not have "nit-picked" with state's experts and detectives. Perhaps the incorrect placement of the car seat for the 3D-Scan could have been saved for better effect (like Juan with Jodi's 3rd gas can), but arguing every little detail strayed from the core defense of "accident."
    * Instead of constantly objecting to the admission of digital evidence, I would have continuously put the "escapes" message into the correct context of parents all needing some "adult time" in order to remain balanced.
    * I would have put Ross on the stand to tell the jury it was an accident.

Given that the jury, from day one, appears unwilling to accept that anyone could forget a child, it may not have made a difference. I just think the arguing over every minor fact and not putting Ross on the stand made it look like they were trying to get a guilty party off on a technicality.

10. monkeypants

11. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

I'm confused. Why buy a "foot marker" when he doesn't have a headstone?

12. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

I think this jury got it right- it was intentional murder made to look like an accident, a very passive hands-off way of killing for the insurance money and the attention it would bring. What sealed it for me besides the child-free life searches, were the last meal and kiss goodbye and the too small car seat so he couldn't escape, when they had just purchased a bigger one, and parking in the sun when he normally didn't. There's one photo with Cooper placed on him where he clearly looks like he didn't want the kid, not the portrait of a loving father. And the cancelled movie plans when he "discovered" the body. Why not have that happen at the movie theater lot? I also think throwing the light bulbs in the car was to check to see if he was dead yet.

13. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I agree, I'm no attorney, but from everything I've read regarding Georgia law and murder charges, the malice murder and felony murder charges seem to go hand in hand.
    Here's one link and I've read on several others that say basically the same thing.
    https://www.pagepate.com/experience/criminal-defense/georgia-crimes/georgia-murder-violent-crimes/

14. LinasK

I view her very differently- as a co-conspirator that knew something was going to happen, but did nothing to stop it, then defends the guilty party. She acts just like Cindy Anthony in my book, no sympathy here!

Kittybunny likes this.
  15. LinasK

Agreed! To me that's a callous individual, or one who is actually very weak inside. I lost a good friend suddenly two weeks ago, less than 12 hours after I saw her, and I'm having a hard time functioning daily.

16. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your loss, LinusK! Glad to know you saw your friend one more time.

(((((hugs)))))

17. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes Fasten your seatbelts...

This article has good information regarding charges and sentencing guidelines.

Stiff sentence awaits Ross Harris, but case may be far from over

Christian Boone
    12:00 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016 Atlanta News

In a case filled with dramatic twists and unforeseen turns, Monday&#8217;s sentencing hearing for convicted killer Justin Ross Harris is expected to proceed without any big surprises.
    Harris, 36, found guilty of intentionally leaving his 22-month-old son Cooper inside a hot car to die, faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole plus 42 years. And he&#8217;s likely to get it, or something very close, based on the heinous nature of the June 2014 crime and the criteria Cobb County Superior Court Judge Mary Staley Clark will follow to arrive at a decision...*

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/stiff...ase-may-far-from-over/2gfckCei9hcaEYAW2D0s3N/

18. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

I'm thinking about you, LinasK. I had a loss of a good friend several years ago, and I was able to get to & from work, do my job, get home, do those things, but she was on my mind off & on every day. It does get easier, but it takes more time than you probably will want it to take.

I was sad, but also I was thankful that I had such a friend for as long as I did. And memories became such a gift. You will have that, too. Forever.

:hug:

19. Maisiebelle

Maisiebelle Active Member

Thanks for that link. It explained the charges/sentencing in an easy to understand way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. monkeypants

Sounds about right to me, in the absence of "eye for an eye" punishment -that would of course be my preference for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.