Potty Training from Birth

i understand that people do this in places where they can not get diapers. people also chew their child's food and spit it directly from mouth to mouth instead of baby food. you do what you got to do. i would think removing odor from a dirt floor would be easier than getting it out of carpet. raising kids is hard enough why would i want to make it harder on myself? watching for your child to signal it has to potty before it can walk or even crawl sure dont sound like they have improved on how we did it. half the world dont wear a bra or even a shirt and it makes it easier to breast feed. i think i will stick with my over the shoulder boulder holder. i guess i am just a modern girl.:)

Well little boys are a lot easier to "catch" than little girls!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
by catch do you mean the signal because of how they hold themselves or do you mean catch as you walk in the room and he is peeing in your coffee cup?

It's called EC, Elimination Communication, and it's an ancient practice.

I have friends who have done this. I wasn't in to it but they seem to be happy with their choice. Though I've never seen anyone use the outdoors as a means of doing this.

They either used a basin when they were little, or the potty.

And if they are the new wave of parenting it can't be all bad. They all do gentle parenting, attachment parenting, breastfeeding etc.

Until they have the psychological development for such...they can pee in the trees and let mama do the rest.

Sounds like they are about the equivalent to the Apes. They would not allow their babies to pee just anywhere either...as far as I know. So Yes..this is an "older" thing. I thought we had evolved since then.

People in Africa, India and many other countries do this daily...there is no evolution in that regard....there are also not tons of sposie diapers or means to wash cloth diapers. They let it all hang out every day.

People in Africa, India and many other countries do this daily...there is no evolution in that regard....there are also not tons of sposie diapers or means to wash cloth diapers. They let it all hang out every day.

That's because they don't have any potties. :cool:

I'm being totally serious when I ask do those countries have more trouble with diseases with all this "hanging out"?

A tree? They've got to run outside at 3 a.m. looking for a tree? :waitasec: :waitasec: :waitasec: It seems to me that it would be more difficult trying to explain to a three year old why its not appropriate to piss on a tree than it is trying to toilet train a toddler.:p

:crazy::laugh:Ain't that the truth?

I think you can be diaper free and not potty trained. To me potty trained means can know before they need to go, go into the bathroom, pull down their pants, perhaps need wiping help, get themselves dressed and wash their own hands.

I'm being totally serious when I ask do those countries have more trouble with diseases with all this "hanging out"?
The disease rates are always higher with a concentrated population and no sanitary facilities - but a community outhouse will fix THAT. The idea is to keep human and animal waste controlled to keep drinking water clean and to reduce insects that carry disease. Dirty water and insects cause most disease - not nekkid little kids using the outdoors as a potty. In many places starvation, AIDs, Malaria, and diseases we vaccinate against here are what kill babies and children - being naked until age 2 or 3 is the least of the health concerns.

In many environments keeping a child naked is much preferable and cleaner than putting a nasty diaper on him. Most places where this is done do not have enough clean water for drinking and what is available for washing or laundry is river water, not exactly "sterile" or "clean". They certainly cannot wash diapers or children's clothing daily - their own clothes are not washed after one wearing. Better to put nothing on - much LESS disease risk for the child.

Yes, modern amenities are wonderful but I am not sure a ton of dirty disposable diapers is helping us enough to merit the landfill space using them takes. To me, a landfill full of dirty diapers is more of a health and environmental risk than a child going potty outside - not to mention that disposable diapers are not very biodegradable. Cloth diapers are better for the landfill, but they waste a LOT of water washing them - not to mention the amount of grey water full of bleach and soap and fabric softner. The parents who are doing this ARE being kind to the environment - human urine is sterile and I doubt the kids are doing BM's under a tree a lot -and if so - covering/burying it will degrade it into the ground in no time. Me personally - I would use cloth diapers till the child can sign their needs and then try this method gradually. We put a LOT of emphasis on potty training here and it causes a lot of stress on parent and child - just look at the kids who get abused or killed due to potty anger. ANYTHING kinder, gentler and no-pressure would be better than THAT!

And I can do without the modern "improvement" of bras myself - hate em'. Don't need one and so don't wear one - haven't since I was 19 - am 49 now and I have had NO ill effects. I wear tank tops or camisoles or sports tops when I need coverage, support or control. Women in other countries bind themselves, same effect. Breast feeding, pregnancy and fluctuating weight cause more sagging and appearance issues than going bra-less does. A bra is just a contraption to hold things "up" temporarily - it cannot overcome gravity, aging, loss of muscle tone or loss/gain of body fat and isn't any more effective than a simple binding is. Just ask someone "busty" who has strap grooves on her shoulders from years of bra wear what her opinion of the brassiere is. The makers of brassieres don't want you to know, but unless you are wearing a bra 24/7 it isn't preventing anything except movement (and comfort). Exercise of the proper muscles will do a lot more for your bust than a bra so long as you flatten your breasts in a a shirt or sports bra when you might "bounce" vigorously.

While many are, not all modern inventions or practices are "better".

My Opinion

by catch do you mean the signal because of how they hold themselves or do you mean catch as you walk in the room and he is peeing in your coffee cup?

Catch meaning you can usually tell a boy is about to go whereas a girl it just sort of comes out.

I dunno. I don't care what people do as long as it's not causing harm to their kids, but the basics behind infant potty training is not correct, IMO. Potty means toilet, not a tree. And when I think of a potty trained child, I think of someone who can go, wipe themselves, and flush the toilet. A baby can't do that, no matter what.

IMO, there are plenty of early stage developments and awarenesses that are more important. I would rather focus on emotions and the basics and not spend so much time on something we don't even know is beneficial to their development.

Again, JMO.

I dunno. I don't care what people do as long as it's not causing harm to their kids, but the basics behind infant potty training is not correct, IMO. Potty means toilet, not a tree. And when I think of a potty trained child, I think of someone who can go, wipe themselves, and flush the toilet. A baby can't do that, no matter what.

IMO, there are plenty of early stage developments and awarenesses that are more important. I would rather focus on emotions and the basics and not spend so much time on something we don't even know is beneficial to their development.

Again, JMO.

Exactly Dena!!!!

I find the entire thing ridiculous!! Like I said previously these parents are just creating an entire client base for the next generations psychiatrists.

Exactly Dena!!!!

I find the entire thing ridiculous!! Like I said previously these parents are just creating an entire client base for the next generations psychiatrists.

I agree its ridiculous!!!
I was watching my 6 wk old Granddaughter yesterday & told her she is already behind the times that there are infants going pee over by a tree. Thats about as ignorant of a thing I ever heard.

Exactly Dena!!!!

I'll tell my son to get a jump on this trend then.

Actually, I've decided I DO care if someones child is pissing in a public sink that my child would use to wash his hands. Gross.

I would prefer walking where babies are in diapers too. Do the parents go around with spades to bury it? I don't like stepping in surprises. What if nature calls while you are in a car in traffic?

Actually, I've decided I DO care if someones child is pissing in a public sink that my child would use to wash his hands. Gross.

Well then you should never let your sons wash in a sink in a public men's room because little CHILDREN are not the ones peeing in the sinks in most of them. If the sink is run after - a sink isn't any different than the urinal - at least not to most men. Men pee in the shower too and their kids use THAT after.

Urine is sterile - you cannot catch stuff from urine unless you drink it - and then only if it's from a very ill person.

I don't use the sinks in lots of public rest rooms - the doors, handles and surfaces are COVERED in germs from people's hands. I keep hand sanitizer in my purse and my car - I prefer to sanitize AFTER I have left the germy restroom. Washing your hands IN the bathroom doesn't do a lot of good if after you wash you punch the air blower, grab the nasty paper towel dispenser, turn off the faucets or touch the entrance door surface or handle on your way out.

These kids are not going to have ANY memory of their "natural" potty training - just as WE don't have any memory of OUR toilet training. Unless the kid was punished or tortured or traumatized into age 4 or 5 he won't remember a THING about toilet training. Any kid that does remember DOES have a problem - but likely there was a LOT more wrong than potty training methods. If this traumatized children every kid in every developing country who was trained this way would be mental basket cases - - not happening.

The only ones who have a problem are the ADULTS who don't agree with it. As with most new or resurgent trends - some people are vehemently opposed to OTHER people doing it - even though it's not their business and is harming no-one. Breast Feeding, Home Schooling, Cloth Diapers, Time Out, Spanking - all have come and gone again and again. It's a personal choice. At least these parents are THERE with their children, paying attention and NOT ignoring them - how can attending so carefully to your baby's every mood and action be BAD?

My Opinion

I dunno. I don't care what people do as long as it's not causing harm to their kids, but the basics behind infant potty training is not correct, IMO. Potty means toilet, not a tree. And when I think of a potty trained child, I think of someone who can go, wipe themselves, and flush the toilet. A baby can't do that, no matter what. snip....
Again, JMO.

BWhhhaaah - then I have known and been around a LOT of grown men who need to be potty trained then!!!!;)

I would prefer walking where babies are in diapers too. Do the parents go around with spades to bury it? I don't like stepping in surprises. What if nature calls while you are in a car in traffic?
what if nature calls when the child is asleep? i dont care how natural poop or piss is i dont want my baby rolling around in it til morning. i know people in 3rd world countries do this but they dont have a choice. we do. i'm not crazy about having my child piss on a tree because it is the latest parenting fad. hell if it is good enough for the kids it is good enough for adults. lets go back to the old days and we can all piss in pots and toss it out the window. after all people in England did it for a few hundred years and they survived so it cant be bad...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back