Powdered alcohol creator tries to get ahead of state bans

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by los2188, Apr 16, 2015.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Powdered alcohol creator to states: Understand my product before you ban it
    [​IMG]
    The creator of powdered alcohol, Mark Phillips
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/powdered-alcohol-creator-tries-ahead-053321481.html
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

I hate to break it to him, but it will be a nightmare for those in the entertainment industry. How do you keep minors from getting drunk during concerts or sporting events if they can bring in a small packet to add to their water bottle once inside?

Or school dances? Or football games. ugh. It will cause a lot of problems. imo

4. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

I buy those Crystal Light packets for my water. Might have to switch things up. It would sure make work more fun.

5. Aeronomy

Aeronomy Active Member

I'm not sure where I stand on this?

Also, I wonder what they smell like...before being added to water and after.

6. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

I really would like to try one to see if they actually taste good.

As for the underaged drinking thing, we didn't have Palcohol when I was a teen but we still managed to sneak in alcohol to events. Ziplock bags of Jim Beam in our waistbands. Then buy a Coke and take out your baggie.

If kids want to sneak in booze, they will find a way.

Also, I hate paying $12 for a tiny plastic cup of wine when I go to a concert or event. I rather like theidea of Palcohol. That is, if they don't taste awful.

7. MerBeach

MerBeach Member

I don't know where I stand on this, either. My first thought was that it's basically targeting folks who just want to get hammered. Definitely not about enjoying good quality alcohol or a nice drink.

8. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

This is quite an interesting product, with much potential in pharmaceutical and industrial applications, in addition to beverage ethanol. Could also have uses as a fuel source or fuel additive, although probably very expensive for that. Beverage ethanol probably has the greatest potential for profits, but the patchwork of political opposition will likely prevent it from taking off as a new product. The company is privately held, and not licensing any distributors at this time. I'm going to predict that the inventor of this method will end up taking it outside the U.S. for manufacture and sale, due to our draconian laws and attitudes.

From what I've read, different groups have been experimenting with making alcohol powders since the 70s and 80s. This guy actually brought it to the brink of marketing, and achieved FDA approval, label approval, etc. That's impressive on its own, IMO!

From what I can tell, it has little potential for serious abuse due to the sheer volume of powder required for only one ounce of alcohol-- a half cup of powder. That's too much to snort or spike a drink with. And apparently the micro encapsulation manufacturing method would make snorting it exquisitely painful for the snorter.

Apparently, the inventor thinks regular cocktails with liquid alcohol taste much better! He is primarily wanting to market it as a boutique novelty product, as well as a convenience item for things like backpacking and camping.

I think it's a really cool method of manufacturing the micro encapsulation process! Like some of our anesthesia drugs. Presumably methanol could also be manufactured using this process, so more potential for industrial applications.

I'd be curious to taste it! Wonder if it will ever come in a nice dry Chardonnay, lol!? Prolly not. All the wonderful aromatics and nuances wouldn't be there. Just the harsh buzzy alcohol. ;)

Way cool product!

9. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

10. ninij9

ninij9 Well-Known Member

I would be very concerned for alcohol poisoning. No limit to how many packets you could add to one glass. Sounds hazardous to me...

11. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

I would imagine the taste would be really awful and hard to drink if you added more than one packet per.

12. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

Along this line, it apparently doesn't dissolve particularly easily. Different sources list "vigorous stirring for a minute or more", to disrupt the microencapsulation to suspension. So, not easy to spike a drink unknowingly. And I suspect if you tried to concentrate several packets in a smaller quantity of liquid, they wouldn't dissolve. It's not like crystal light powder, it seems. Much easier to overdose on high proof liquid beverage alcohol.

Remember-- the product here is 1/2 cup of powder = one mixed drink of one ounce of alcohol.

13. JDB

JDB Tybee you will never be forgotten

I know where I stand on this . I say No and here is why. I have already read of people snorting this stuff . It cause BIGTIME problems. To easy to sneak in like someone else said . And I hate to think what else other stupid stuff people will try with this .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. ninij9

ninij9 Well-Known Member

I wasn't thinking of responsible drinking when I posted you could get sick using multiple packets. I guess I had teenaged binge drinking in my mind. But you guys make valid points.

15. Jan

Jan New Member

I don't use alcohol at all, so this is something I would never use or need. I think it's kind of a crazy idea to begin with.