PowerPoint problem.

Jovin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wonder if anyone can help me figure out what my problem is with my Outlook Express not showing any forwarded e-mail that I get that needs PowerPoint viewer to open it.

I have PowerPoint and it will open them if I forward them to my Yahoo address, but it gives me this error window if I try to open them in Outlook Express mail.

for example, this one said it was.....
Microsoft Power Point Slide Show

This is what the error window said:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel

Jovin, you want to associate the files. Look at the extensions on your attachments. I think Power Point extensions are .ppr or .ppw or something like that. Then the following instructions should do the trick.

From the help contents:

Many file types in Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000 are registered to be opened by a particular program. For example, Notepad starts when you want to open a text (.txt) file. You can change the program that starts when you open a file of a certain type.

In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the File Types tab.

In the Registered file types list, click the file type you want to open with a different program, and then click Change.

In the Open With dialog box, select the program you want to use, and then click OK.

Click OK in the Folder Options dialog box.

Jovin said:
Irishmist....I love your nick, btw. I'll try to do it now.

and it didn't need to be changed. It has the right extension for the Power Point.

Hmmmmm wonder what isn't right here.

Jovin said:
and it didn't need to be changed. It has the right extension for the Power Point.

Hmmmmm wonder what isn't right here.
Was there more than one power point extension option? Does seem odd.

Is this a old problem, or did it used to work, and now it doesn't?

How old is your Outlook? I'm wondering if it needs an update.

If you are using Outlook Express (not just Outlook), try looking at your security settings.

In the Tools menu, select Options, and then in the Options dialog, select the Security tab.

In that dialog will be a checkbox labeled "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". It is checked by default. Uncheck it to regain access to your attachments.

I think it's because I downloaded IE7 and I've had problems since then.

IrishMist said:
If you are using Outlook Express (not just Outlook), try looking at your security settings.

In the Tools menu, select Options, and then in the Options dialog, select the Security tab.

But not the last part. I figure it's got to be a problem with Outlook Express rather than the IE tools option. (if that makes sense)

Thanks, I'll do that...and yes, I use Outlook Express.

It sure DOES sound like it! I won't hold you up anymore, but I'm going to do that now...I'll let you know what the result is. Thanks so much...I'M LOUSY WITH SEARCHES.

You're not holding me up at all. And do let me know if it works. Sounds like it will.

Got my fingers crossed...

It works! I'm so glad! I have NOT been able to figure out what the problem was. I'd tried searching but didn't see anything that was close.

I am so very grateful to you! How can I thank you? You've done your good deed for the year!

Jovin

Jovin said:
It works! I'm so glad! I have NOT been able to figure out what the problem was. I'd tried searching but didn't see anything that was close.

I am so very grateful to you! How can I thank you? You've done your good deed for the year!

Jovin
Oh, Jovin, saying that makes me feel so good that you COULDN'T thank me more.
blushing.gif

Thanks so much for your help. I have to go out now, but wanted to tell you once again how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me find the answer to this problem. I missed so many nice e-mails sent to me over Xmas....I'll have to see if I saved some.

Jovin said:
Thanks so much for your help. I have to go out now, but wanted to tell you once again how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me find the answer to this problem. I missed so many nice e-mails sent to me over Xmas....I'll have to see if I saved some.
Well, I hope they are still there, and I'm glad the problem is fixed.

Actually, this could be a WS form of "Pay it Forward", as I've asked one of the members to help me out, and am waiting to hear from him. I'm sure he will help me, and I will be so grateful to him...

WS members ROCK!

I'm having problems with another issue too, but will let that sit for awhile. I'm in the process of helping a lady downstairs get her computer fixed. I sure wish I knew more about computers! Everyone here seems to think I know so much, BUT I DON'T!

Thanks and good luck with your problem. I wish I could help you the way you helped me.

Jovin said:
I'm having problems with another issue too, but will let that sit for awhile. I'm in the process of helping a lady downstairs get her computer fixed. I sure wish I knew more about computers! Everyone here seems to think I know so much, BUT I DON'T!

Thanks and good luck with your problem. I wish I could help you the way you helped me.

Well... I could use a new car. :D

I bet if we put our heads together, we could figure out your other 'puter issue, too. Just post here, or pm when you feel like dealing with it!

Never mind a NEW one...any car! I had to give mine up over a year ago. I just couldn't afford to keep putting money into it.

Okay, if you insist...I'M GOING NUTS WITH THIS ONE PROBLEM! Sometimes when I send a website page to my e-mail inbox, so I can keep it for future reference, I get an error window that comes up:

It's a Script error or something, and it LOCKS MY MAIL PROGRAM! I can't delete it; and if I click "yes" to run scripts on that page, or "no" it makes no difference, it won't let me get out of it!

I just have to try to click either of those or the "x" to close it, while frantically trying to click onto another e-mail in the inbox, so I can get away from it! I'm going crazy! I've got one now in there, and as I read my e-mails, and delete them, without thinking, the one comes up to the top and then I GO THROUGH THE SAME HELL AGAIN!

2hx0i9h.jpg
29e18yc.gif
43wqczk.gif

Jovin said:
Never mind a NEW one...any car! I had to give mine up over a year ago. I just couldn't afford to keep putting money into it.

Okay, if you insist...I'M GOING NUTS WITH THIS ONE PROBLEM! Sometimes when I send a website page to my e-mail inbox, so I can keep it for future reference, I get an error window that comes up:

It's a Script error or something, and it LOCKS MY MAIL PROGRAM! I can't delete it; and if I click "yes" to run scripts on that page, or "no" it makes no difference, it won't let me get out of it!

I just have to try to click either of those or the "x" to close it, while frantically trying to click onto another e-mail in the inbox, so I can get away from it! I'm going crazy! I've got one now in there, and as I read my e-mails, and delete them, without thinking, the one comes up to the top and then I GO THROUGH THE SAME HELL AGAIN!

2hx0i9h.jpg
29e18yc.gif
43wqczk.gif

Jovin, I'm fairly sure that's a web site issue. I've had the same problem, and don't think it can be fixed on the user's end. I get around it by putting a folder in my Bookmarks and bookmarking those pages.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back