Prisoners Babysit Toddler Found on Highway

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Texana, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Texana

Texana Overreaching

Here's the story:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=6733340

The inmates were more concerned about the toddler's safety than his own sister, sadly.

We live near a minimum security prison. The school buses cut through the prison grounds. One day, my daughter mentioned they'd been passing prisoners working in the field (they are supervised by armed guards on horseback.) She said sometimes the inmates wave at them. I had a horrified reaction. She shrugged and said, "Mom, they have kids, too."

I hate to think what could have happened to that baby had the work crew not been there that day. Angels unaware, indeed!

2. Loading...

3. Boyz_Mum

Boyz_Mum New Member

Thank God the inmates were working that day.

4. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

What a bad sister! She's less reliable than convicts. This story would make a cute movie, though.

5. BuzzieCat

BuzzieCat New Member

I wonder if the sister will face any charges. IMO she should since she apparently just took off on purpose, knowing the child would be alone.

6. Texana

Texana Overreaching

I was a bit surprised that the parents weren't facing any charges or consequences. An 18 year old doesn't suddenly leave a baby sibling alone out of the blue.

But the child is safe--thanks to the truck driver and the inmates.

;)

7. Lovejac

Lovejac These boys are my heartstrings!

snipped from the linked article.

Wouldn't the fact that a 2 1/2 was walking alone on a busy highway be neglectful?

I'm glad they are still conducting an investigation.

8. 6angels

6angels New Member

If the parents thought the sister was responable and had no reason to think others wise then I do NOT think they should face charges.Unfortunally yes some baby sitters even related ones do leave children alone. :( sad sad sad

9. Kymistry35

Kymistry35 It's never to late to be who you could have been

On the daughters part, not the parents. I am assuming they thought they could trust an 18 year old sibling to watch the baby.

10. MCDRAW

MCDRAW New Member

I read it to mean that the Dad worked in the home but the 18 year old was watching the 2 1/2 year old. Then when she left she didn't tell the Dad so no one was watching the baby but technically he wasn't alone. I could be wrong but that is how I understood it.

11. BuzzieCat

BuzzieCat New Member

I guess that's probably it.

12. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

She sure sounds like a bad, bad sister, doesn't she? BUT!
    The article doesn't actually mention whether the 18 year old knew she was in charge. I'm wondering if Dad may have stuck his head in the door to her bedroom and said, "You're babysitting." while she was sleeping or listening to her IPod and she never even realized he was speaking to her.

The boy was with the inmates for three hours; it's hard to believe she'd deliberately left him alone for such an extended period of time. If she did deliberately leave him for so long, I think she should have been arrested.

I am so GLAD the inmates and the toddler had fun!

13. Gracenote

Gracenote We know that all things work together for good for

Thats a sweet story. Chilling, but sweet.

14. kbl8201

kbl8201 Former Member

seems like the father and daughter should be the ones on a prison work crewl. how is it not neglect? what if the boy was hit by one of the trucks?