Purpose Of This Emerald Triangle Sub-forum?

Discussion in 'The Emerald Triangle' started by Gardener1850, Jun 5, 2018.

1. burblestein

burblestein Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, I continue to acquaint myself with the perils of Trinity County.

Lilibet likes this.

2. burblestein

I also scan the new posts every day for any possible new threads for the forum.

Lilibet likes this.
  3. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

I’m doing great, and just wanted you to know how valuable your “boat-rocking” input has been. Hugs! :)

4. burblestein

A belated realization--I doubt there will ever be U/Is listed in this forum. I haven't asked for any to be moved in, nor is it likely I will. I know of only two unidentified bodies being found in Mendocino County; two more in Humboldt; none in Trinity. I ran across those in news reports, but have found no official or unofficial listing of U/Is.

Lilibet likes this.
  5. burblestein

BTW, finished writing up cases for Trinity County. Began with 8 cases, ended with 14. Then there are the four Lao-American buddies who disappeared somewhere up here in the ET. And there may be more. One Trinity Journal article I saw insisted that there were 20 missing persons cases in Trinity Cty.

charminglane and Lilibet like this.
  6. Lilibet

Are you talking about the discussion we all had earlier. about the problems for those who are trying to match UIDs to Missing Persons? I’m not sure if you and Tricia fully understand the issue raised earlier by folie. It’s not about whether UIDs are listed on this forum. They should only be listed in the UID forum.

The problem is that if missing person threads are located on the Emerald Triangle forum they cannot be searched by keywords (like age, height, gender, date they went missing) in the threads on the missing person forums. This how those active on the UID forum make matches. All the missing Emerald Triangle people who might be UIDs in locations outside the Emerald Triangle (like Victoria Tatro possibly) would be invisible to the members trying to match them. What needs to happen is that the actual missing person thread should be located in the missing person forum. Only a link to the thread should be here on the Emerald Triangle forum.

Maybe I’m reading your post wrong and you and Tricia do understand this, and if so, my apologies for stating this again. But it seems that I’m seeing links to threads on this forum being placed by you in the missing person forums and that’s the opposite of what should happen. The links should be here and the threads need to be moved back to their original places by a mod.

Perhaps folie can explain the problems better than I am, or re-reading her posts may help. Again, my apologies for either stating what you know or beating a dead horse. :)

?mysterian? and bluesneakers like this.
  7. burblestein

Okay, we have several issues here, I think. One of which is my rookie status on WS. So, please bear with my limited understanding. And I will bear with your frustration.

I must admit, when I posted the above on the U/I situation up here, I didn't know the entire situation.

And, I finally understand your point about the directionality of the threads. But I am not responsible for their direction. While I rounded up the info to start the ET Forum*, I was unaware that this site would have redirects. When I became aware that there were Missing Forums threads duplicating the threads in the ET Forum I ginned up some redirects to help folks find the active thread. Since then, I have been informed that redirects are automatically generated when the thread is moved to the ET Forum.

For me, it's been a process for learning on the run. I haven't had an opinion on which direction the threads should run, because I don't feel I know enough to offer any helpful advice. I do realize redirects are needed, and I try to insure that anything moved to the ETF has a redirect so that it can be found. And, as I have found Search problems, I have informed Tricia.

You are going to have to persuade Tricia to reverse thread direction, if you want it changed. I have already asked her which way they should run, and she told me to continue running any new threads in the same way. Given that she owns the site, I should honor her wishes.

JerseyGirl has been detailed to move threads for me, etc, so whatever you propose will be done by her. Whatever you can work out with those two, I'm good with. If there's any kind of grunt work involved in reversing direction, I'll volunteer. To the limit of my capabilities.

In the meantime, I am working my way through the Humboldt cases. Mendo and Trinity are current--that is, I have put up every bit of info I could find to every cold case thread in both counties.

* Five lists of threads: Humboldt Missing, Humboldt Homicides, Mendo Missing, Mendo Homicides, and Trinity Missing. I have found no Trinity Cty cold case homicides. SK came later.

?mysterian? likes this.
  8. Lilibet

Thanks for your incredible hard work Burblestein. I realize that you aren’t able to move anything. I didn’t realize that Tricia had made a decision to leave things as they are, so I will try to address that. I don’t work on UID cases, so I didn’t know about this problem either until folie pointed it out, and I feel that the UID forum members should be consulted and perhaps more involved in advocating for what they need. As I like to say when something doesn’t affect me directly...”It’s not my circus, not my monkeys.” :) But I do want the Emerald Triangle forum to be valuable to all members, so I keep jumping in. I’ll see what I can do.

?mysterian? and folieadeuxnola like this.
  9. burblestein

No problem, Lilibet. I didn't foresee that establishing the forum would be such a hassle. However, I had the idea of founding it, so I feel I should do what I can to make it a go. I repeat, whatever you work out with Tricia and JerseyGirl is okay with me. I do hope the ETF becomes a functional forum that doesn't interfere with the site's functioning. And I wish I could learn more about the structure of this site.

?mysterian? and Lilibet like this.
  10. Lilibet

It’s hard to foresee all the issues that might arise on a website this complex. I certainly didn’t have a clue about the UID search problems until folie spoke up.

The ETF is and remains a fabulous idea and resource. I know this can be resolved. :)

?mysterian? likes this.
  11. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

Are the cases here mostly missing persons cases? I still can't tell which threads are missing and which are homicide cases without opening threads but it seems to me that the majority are missing persons threads. Perhaps the entire "searching for threads" issue could be solved by moving the Emerald Triangle Subforum under the "Missing" header instead of the Crimes section? That way the threads can all stay here AND if we go to the missing section to search for cases or specific key words the threads in this forum will come up in our search of the missing forums. It's not as good as being able to narrow searches down to a specific decade but it could make it a little easier. JMO.

?mysterian? and Lilibet like this.
  12. burblestein

Trinity County is solely missing persons cases. Mendocino County and Humboldt County are admixtures.

There is a five way convo in progress concerning the ETF. If there were room for a sixth participant, you would be it. As I was designated one of the five (not by request), I will represent your concerns to the other four participants.

Suppose I put it this way to them as follows.... Humboldt and Mendocino Counties have cold case homicides and missing persons cold cases intermixed, which is unhandy and causes confusion. Gardener1850 feels that the ETF should be moved to the Missing Section.

Would that be a fair statement of your view?

However, that still leaves the question of cold case homicides. What would you have me recommend to them for these cases?

Gardener1850 likes this.
  13. folieadeuxnola

folieadeuxnola 70's-80's Jane Doe's

With a mixture of cold case; murder, missing persons is there intent to also include UID's ? ... I can see where it would cause confusion.

I believe I'm only bring issues to the table rather than solutions ... sorry gals & guys.

Any who with the creation of the ET thread I do forsee more threads of the same nature to come.
    As that many MP's that are in MNF are potential victims of SK's; Green River, Lucas/O'Toole, Terry Rasmussen, Golden State, Zodiac, Long Haul Truckers, Terry Rasmussen, Ted Bundy, etc each group whom have worked those cases will want their own forum. Kind of a domino effect ..

It was my opinion that the MP's and their post data should stay in their respective forum like they always have been and that the ET forum be redirected to the MP forum instead of the MP forum redirected to ET. That way any one whom is doing research can do it in one place instead of two places. And like I had mentioned in the messages someone doing a keyword search in the MP thread "wedding ring" ....the MP's and their post data that are in ET will be excluded from their search.

I'm just one person ... others may see things differently and I completely respect their opinion

.. I just keep on keeping on an do what I can do.... finding and researching information on MP's that help others and myself to see possible links and maybe a match or two with a UID : )

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    ?mysterian?, Lilibet and Gardener1850 like this.
  14. Gardener1850

Thanks Burblestein. That's a fair assessment and please feel free to try to communicate my point there: I think it would be better if we could know with a glance at the title if we were looking at a missing person case or a homicide. That said, I really don't have a strong opinion on how to divide it or where the forum should "live" (missing or crimes) but was just suggesting it might help with those searching missing persons cases. Also the Missing forum is very active and perhaps more people who come to WS to read on missing persons cases may be more likely to see the ETF there and check it out? But I don't know what site traffic looks like-- maybe it gets more traffic here in crimes? Tricia probably knows that info on where would be best to place it.
    I think the homicides could logically stay even if ETF was put under the missing umbrella because Websleuths is a crimes forum after all. But not all that are missing persons are the result of a crime. A very simple fix to tell the missing cases from homicides is to edit titles to say "Missing" or "Homicide" OR they could be sorted out into folder divisions within each county.

Lilibet likes this.
  15. Gardener1850

I agree with you on this research issue Folie, but maybe it is only us. I can only speak for myself- So far the effect of ETF on my forum activity has been reduced twofold for me--
    1. I have shied away from starting California based missing threads.
    2. I am not really researching any new California UID cases anymore.

Rather than more participation, I feel like I'm less than helpful here on this subforum.
    There are a ton of missing persons threads I started that got moved down here. Many are threads with very little info. I feel like so few people know about those cases and now that they are not found in searches of the general missing forums, there is LESS chance that people will stumble upon the "orphaned" threads and comment on them. I'm guessing that is the opposite of what was intended when this Emerald Triangle subforum was started but it's how I feel-- like all these cases have been shoved in a corner where they are less likely to be seen now. :(

Lilibet and folieadeuxnola like this.
  16. folieadeuxnola

Yes I have done both (1) and (2), most recently have been updating the cases that we already have with additional information or cleaning up the thread since the new upgrade it left some of the MP threads a bit messy... it drives my ADD and OCD nuts ... LOL

Gardener your last paragraph ... is exactly what I believe will happen unfortunately.

I have only come across a couple of MP's in the past week that were moved to the ET .. and I did not pursue digging up information on them any further. Like I said up thread ... ET is a double edge sword it is a great project however what happens when it goes cold and the MP's are left dormant.

As you had also mentioned earlier is foot traffic ... where do users whom come here go ?

Lilibet and Gardener1850 like this.
  17. Lilibet

Thanks for the input Gardener and folie. I will add a message to the conversation asking that this thread continue to be read. I added Carbuff to the conversation as someone who is very active in the UID forum since I think more input from the “experts” is necessary. That meant I had to leave you out Gardener, in order to stick to 5, but your points are very important, so stick with us please! :)

folieadeuxnola and Gardener1850 like this.
  18. folieadeuxnola

TY Lilibet .... I probably was not the best person to be placed into the conversation ... Carbuff & Gardener both have been around a long time and are more active in many of the various threads in all categories than I have.

unfortunately Gardener does not accept messages ... I have tried that before .. to each their own... Gardener is till my partner in these forums we try to help each other the best we can.

Unfortunately I barked up as that in recent months I have been more active within the MP threads... I may have stirred the poop pot.. but may have to lick the spoon for my opinions.

In all you have been absolutely wonderful through out this could not have asked for anyone better and just so glad you are here.

Gardener1850 and Lilibet like this.
  19. Lilibet

That’s right. I’d forgotten I can’t message Gardener, so adding her to the conversation wouldn’t be possible. Otherwise I’d ask if you want to opt out and I can add her. If Tricia, Carbuff and JerseyGirl participate I’m sure we can get this worked out. Your stirring the poop was a good deed! :)

Gardener1850 likes this.
  20. burblestein

I told Gardener I would tender her views over here. Her major complaint is that she can't tell an MP thread from a murder without clicking into the thread. If the MPs and murders can't be listed separately, she suggests tagging them in the title.

Gardener1850 likes this.