Q&A for LI Locals and those that grew up here

Thanks again for the info on pay by the hour hot tub places! I have another question for the locals: Is Manorville sometimes called "Mannerville" in an ironic way (I realize the pronunciation difference would be very subtle). I can see this happening if it's notorious for say rude drivers or something along those lines...
The pronunciation would be associated with having a NY accent.

I have another question for the locals (thank you again for your help with my last few): is/was the Abbey Motor Inn on Jericho Turnpike in Huntington a gay hookup spot? I found a case from '96 where a guy was found strangled there who had checked into the room for 3 hours. Thank you Mommyoffourboys for pointing me in the direction of pay by the hour motels.

I have another question for the locals (thank you again for your help with my last few): is/was the Abbey Motor Inn on Jericho Turnpike in Huntington a gay hookup spot? I found a case from '96 where a guy was found strangled there who had checked into the room for 3 hours. Thank you Mommyoffourboys for pointing me in the direction of pay by the hour motels.

Not sure if its a gay spot but there are reports of prostitution in the area. Long Island's motels as well as park and rides are notorious for gay activity.

Google review from The Abbey Motor inn on Jericho Turnpike
4 months ago
Stay Away because when I came there I had the reservation for two adults and a child and they said there was no occupancy but the sign said there's was occupancy. Also where you check in it a showcase of dirty movies and in the parking lot you see hookers hanging out in the parking lot.

Thanks again for the info on pay by the hour hot tub places! I have another question for the locals: Is Manorville sometimes called "Mannerville" in an ironic way (I realize the pronunciation difference would be very subtle). I can see this happening if it's notorious for say rude drivers or something along those lines...

yes that is how most long Islanders pronounce Manorville (Manner-Ville)

Hi all
did anyone on this site grow up in the Long Island area beffore the killings and bodies were located ?

Looking for someone to answer a few questions on what the life was like in that area during that time.

I see there is a marina not fair from where the bodies were located so I am guessing that if someone lived in that area that might be where someone would keep their or families biat(s) .

If some one owned a dirt bike where would they ride it if they lived in Long Island?
Would Manorville near where the torso and unidentifed body be place for dirt riding a dirt bike?

Thank you just a thought I can not get rid of.

I'm not sure what you're first question is asking, but most likely to the dirt biking in Manorville. It's probably against the law to, but people do it anyways.

Justme, I hope I can answer your questions.
Life there in that strip of barrier Island is quiet, idyllic, and quite casual. The area is mostly a stretch of parkway (no trucks/18 wheelers) that leads to marinas, beaches and bays. It is also a popular and scenic drive around otherwise congested parkways and expressways on LI.
The Marinas in that area are primarily for those who live there year-round or own/rent a summer home.
ATV are not allowed on the streets. Manorville, which is about an hour away from there, is quite rural. Someone with an ATV could easily ride a backroad, their own land, or the woods with no opposition. However, right before the entrance to the Oak Beach parking lot is a place where you can ride baja or dunebuggies and I am assuming, ATV’s. It’s called sore thumb.

You cannot ride ATV's at Sore Thumb. These 4x4 areas are for fishing or surfing only with proper permit and are patrolled by state police.

Update: Last week (mid-July 2023), a local architect was arrested as a prime suspect in the deaths of 4 Gilgo Beach women, and more and more details are coming out by the day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back