Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Three vegetables survive the summer heat in Jax - small tomatoes (grape or cherry types), peppers and okra.

Have you tried growing okra during hot weather? I love okra in every form (steamed, fried, stewed w/tomatoes, etc.). Plus the plants are pretty with large blooms.
I’m an hour south of Tampa, right in between two growing zones. I have a really nice shaded backyard, a sunny side yard and a full sun front yard. I‘ve been sketching out a plan and watching videos. I’ve had a garden before but I want to go bigger this time.

I have never grown okra. I personally don't care for it. However, my kid’s Gma taught my youngest how to cook it. My oldest will eat it fried but now that they are gluten free they’d have to convert it. I may add that to my list of possibilities. See if there is any interest from the kids.

question - who is planning for their fall crops and if so, what and how?

also , gardening has been my therapy and wonderful for me as this pandemic has unfolded. Any of you thinking ahead to less than ideal weather and how you're going to occupy any free time once it arrives this fall and winter, until we get a vaccine? I have a small stack of new books (but I totally can get lost in a book and read straight through a good book on a weekend), a supply of canvases and paints. I work from home thankfully but don't relish spending even more time in front of computer for online classes or learning new skills on my off time, I can only handle so much screen time.

Any unusual preparations for things others of us may be overlooking? I have a healthy supply of PPE, paper products, OTC meds, stable foods and a mini freezer along with bottom refrig freezer all full. What am I forgetting? will also post this question in the shopping thread

question - who is planning for their fall crops and if so, what and how?

also , gardening has been my therapy and wonderful for me as this pandemic has unfolded. Any of you thinking ahead to less than ideal weather and how you're going to occupy any free time once it arrives this fall and winter, until we get a vaccine? I have a small stack of new books (but I totally can get lost in a book and read straight through a good book on a weekend), a supply of canvases and paints. I work from home thankfully but don't relish spending even more time in front of computer for online classes or learning new skills on my off time, I can only handle so much screen time.

Any unusual preparations for things others of us may be overlooking? I have a healthy supply of PPE, paper products, OTC meds, stable foods and a mini freezer along with bottom refrig freezer all full. What am I forgetting? will also post this question in the shopping thread[/QUOTE

I'm not looking forward to colder weather. I'm fortunate to have a greenhouse that I can use every month except December and January. Those months I will try my hand at growing some sprouts in Mason jars indoors. I'm also experimenting with lacto fermenting vegetables right now and growing water kefir grains. They are things that need attention daily and I think the ritual of caring for them each day will help me.

My tomato plant is over 6 feet tall but has no new blossoms - since you all taught me about squash blossoms and their need for pollination - are tomatoes the same? I've googled it a bit but my tomatoes are still the same two that had blossoms when I bought it - they are green and fairly large but started to have marks at the top. I put it outside for a bit (screen lanai is where it has lived) yesterday and I let a bee come into the lanai - I wonder if I need to cut off some of the height? help me. (I did add a liquid fertilizer as you all suggested).

My tomato plant is over 6 feet tall but has no new blossoms - since you all taught me about squash blossoms and their need for pollination - are tomatoes the same? I've googled it a bit but my tomatoes are still the same two that had blossoms when I bought it - they are green and fairly large but started to have marks at the top. I put it outside for a bit (screen lanai is where it has lived) yesterday and I let a bee come into the lanai - I wonder if I need to cut off some of the height? help me. (I did add a liquid fertilizer as you all suggested).

ours have blossoms too but no fruit yet

Are they determinate or indeterminate tomato varieties, your plans? If they are Indeterminates, have you been pruning them and taking the suckers out? ( can google)
Are they in containers? The composition of the soil can be what's wrong. Too much Nitrogen in your soil ( and in that liquid fertilizer) will make the plant stick all its energy into plant growth and it will make a huge plant, with barely any flowers or fruit, which is not what you want. All fertilizers have the level of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium listed in that order on the container.

Start fertilizing with a fertilizer where your Phosphorus and Potassium numbers are much higher than the nitrogen number, this may help a lot already. maybe a 5 -15-15 one or 5-20-20 if you can find it.

Also, temperature and sun. not sure where you are located, generally 6-8 hours of sunshine are best. When it gets too hot, temps above 95 consistently, most plants, including tomatoes, green beans etc, drop their blossoms out of self preservation. They stop setting fruit and stick all their energy in surviving the heat. When it cools off they may set blossom again.

One more thought I had: if you bought the plants at a nursery or garden center, still small and already with blossoms, this may be the problem. Generally you want small plants that do not have blossoms yet, or they may, even after transplanting, stay stunted and not bear much fruit. Or if they have blossoms too early, keep pinching them out until the plant has had a chance to stick its energy into grow a good big root ball first.

Try pruning, temp or sun changes if possible, and if you already fertilized with high Nitrogen, switch to a fertilizer with zero Nitrogen in it , and just potassium, phosphorus, calcium. i buy Gypsum powder on line and add it to soil when transplanting or mix good scoops into my watering can and water the roots directly with that straight calcium to prevent blossom end rot.

Just some thoughts for you, from what I've learned in 10 years of growing tomatoes.

Are they determinate or indeterminate tomato varieties, your plans? If they are Indeterminates, have you been pruning them and taking the suckers out? ( can google)
Are they in containers? The composition of the soil can be what's wrong. Too much Nitrogen in your soil ( and in that liquid fertilizer) will make the plant stick all its energy into plant growth and it will make a huge plant, with barely any flowers or fruit, which is not what you want. All fertilizers have the level of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium listed in that order on the container.

Start fertilizing with a fertilizer where your Phosphorus and Potassium numbers are much higher than the nitrogen number, this may help a lot already. maybe a 5 -15-15 one or 5-20-20 if you can find it.

Also, temperature and sun. not sure where you are located, generally 6-8 hours of sunshine are best. When it gets too hot, temps above 95 consistently, most plants, including tomatoes, green beans etc, drop their blossoms out of self preservation. They stop setting fruit and stick all their energy in surviving the heat. When it cools off they may set blossom again.

One more thought I had: if you bought the plants at a nursery or garden center, still small and already with blossoms, this may be the problem. Generally you want small plants that do not have blossoms yet, or they may, even after transplanting, stay stunted and not bear much fruit. Or if they have blossoms too early, keep pinching them out until the plant has had a chance to stick its energy into grow a good big root ball first.

Try pruning, temp or sun changes if possible, and if you already fertilized with high Nitrogen, switch to a fertilizer with zero Nitrogen in it , and just potassium, phosphorus, calcium. i buy Gypsum powder on line and add it to soil when transplanting or mix good scoops into my watering can and water the roots directly with that straight calcium to prevent blossom end rot.

Just some thoughts for you, from what I've learned in 10 years of growing tomatoes.
Oh wow I think I’ve done everything wrong and I didn’t save the tomato card - it’s in a container and is over 6 feet tall - I bought it at Lowe’s - I will need to work on tii hi is tomato thing - thank you

I'm planning fall garden here while still planting more beans, southern peas, okra etc. I started brussels sprouts, leeks, collards, cabbage and broccoli from seed and plant to start a ton more. I need to order more fabric row cover for winter. But what I really want is a greenhouse. *sigh* We'll see.

Gardening is keeping us very busy. We harvested over 500 lbs of potatoes and are working on canning those. We canned pickled peppers yesterday and are canning masses of green beans. We are also replanting the potato beds in southern peas, several different varieties.

I signed up for this thread and never get notifications!

Here is a recent pic of stuff we harvested in one day recently. Yesterday was just 8 lbs of shallots plus more peppers and green beans. This is 160 lbs, most of that in potato weight.
107702811_4311141888926075_9005657367654642160_o.jpg

@beatrixpotter Im so impressed - what a haul!
Over here, I’ve been disappointed lately with the lack of tomatoes. Turns out all I needed was a little patience. This morning I counted 30+ tiny tomatoes and two huuuuugge ‘maters hiding in the foliage. Also, about a dozen teeny-tiny cucumbers. So I am happy again.
I grew too much coriander and let much of it flower - the fragrance is amazing.
I don’t know what I’ll do once the summer is over - what can I grow in grey, grim British winter? Last year I tried broad beans, carrots, onions and beetroot and all were an unmitigated disaster.

@beatrixpotter Im so impressed - what a haul!
Over here, I’ve been disappointed lately with the lack of tomatoes. Turns out all I needed was a little patience. This morning I counted 30+ tiny tomatoes and two huuuuugge ‘maters hiding in the foliage. Also, about a dozen teeny-tiny cucumbers. So I am happy again.
I grew too much coriander and let much of it flower - the fragrance is amazing.
I don’t know what I’ll do once the summer is over - what can I grow in grey, grim British winter? Last year I tried broad beans, carrots, onions and beetroot and all were an unmitigated disaster.

Dill, fennel. Cold weather crops like cabbages? Spinach? Lettuce. I’m in the US, south but these work here in winter. Fall and spring for tomatoes, peppers, cukes. Too hot to set flowers in the summer.

I'm planning fall garden here while still planting more beans, southern peas, okra etc. I started brussels sprouts, leeks, collards, cabbage and broccoli from seed and plant to start a ton more. I need to order more fabric row cover for winter. But what I really want is a greenhouse. *sigh* We'll see.

Gardening is keeping us very busy. We harvested over 500 lbs of potatoes and are working on canning those. We canned pickled peppers yesterday and are canning masses of green beans. We are also replanting the potato beds in southern peas, several different varieties.

I signed up for this thread and never get notifications!

Here is a recent pic of stuff we harvested in one day recently. Yesterday was just 8 lbs of shallots plus more peppers and green beans. This is 160 lbs, most of that in potato weight.
107702811_4311141888926075_9005657367654642160_o.jpg

omg that is so awesome!
maybe next year I will have similar bounties
this year is all about learning how to garden

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members