Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Discussion in 'Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined' started by KALI, Apr 2, 2020.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

2. BetteDavisEyes

^ Fruits and Vegetables forever postage stamps (.55) available at USPS.

Curious Me, Midgie2, Suglo and 6 others like this.
  3. Quiet Time

Quiet Time Well-Known Member

Oh boy, Love that! ^^^

Suglo, Kavya01 and SA55 like this.
  4. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

I thought of you this morning, LadyL - I made a veganised version (of course :D) and they are currently waiting to go into the oven. Nom!
    175F2616-03CA-4BA1-82E7-EEA8811569B9.png

Suglo, LadyL and PayrollNerd like this.
  5. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Oh that looks yummy. Maybe I can find some more GF pastry at Whole Foods.

Suglo and CeeCeeCat like this.
  6. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

omg that made me hungry lol
    I just put two loaves of zucchini bread in the oven
    I'm going to take some to my Mom with extra zucchini if she wants it
    and then I'm going to use the biggest zucchini for zucchini chips!
    hopefully the bread and chips turn out ok

Suglo, CeeCeeCat and PayrollNerd like this.
  7. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

My herbs are doing very well, and the pepper plants have had quite a few little yellow peppers. The peppers taste very spicy hot raw, but cooked have a bit of heat, and actually taste sweet.

Next summer I think I will focus more on herbs.

8. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

I screenshot your post, Gardener, for the yummy recipes. Thank you!
    Thunderstorms and torrential rain here earlier - the garden really needed it. And now it smells wonderful out there, so fresh and clean.

Gardener1850 and Suglo like this.
  9. kalvis

kalvis Member

I never thought of freezing green beans. I read that they can be blanched and then froze or frozen after snipping the ends off and snapping to the desired size and freezing on a baking sheet in a single layer then put in a freezer bag.

Which method do you use or prefer?

Thank you in advance!

p.s. Glad your back I enjoy reading your post.

Gardener1850 and Suglo like this.
  10. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

I wash the green beans and leave them in a colander to dry for about 30 minutes or so (just until the big drops of water are gone mostly, you could also lay them out on a clean towel to dry them).
    Then I snap the ends off, cut them to the size I want, and put them directly into quart-sized zip top freezer bags. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible before closing.
    Then put them into the freezer laying flat on a shelf. And that's it.

All the online experts say you need to blanche them first to preserve the color but I decided to skip that step one year and it worked great for me. And it's so much easier. I've tried canning beans in the past too but we don't like the texture/taste of them canned. I've pickled them too (search for "Dilly Beans recipe") but I didn't love them that way. It's probably a matter of preference or depends on how you normally cook your green beans. I mostly use my frozen beans in soups, casseroles or stir-fry. If I'm making a green bean-only side dish (such as steaming them with olive oil and almond slivers) then I prefer to start with fresh beans for that type of thing. I don't like mushy beans.

I recommend trying it out with freezing just one bag, leave it in the freezer for a few days and then pull out and cook with them to see if you like it for however you normally prepare your green beans.

PS: I do the same thing with sweet peas- wash, shell them and put them right into bags and into the freezer. So easy! :D

11. BetteDavisEyes

28 states issue warnings about mysterious seed packets from China

The Montana Department of Agriculture said the unidentified seeds may have the potential to introduce diseases to local plants or could be harmful to livestock.

Officials in at least 28 states are urging residents to report any unsolicited packages of seeds that appear to have been sent from China because they could be harmful.

The agricultural departments in those states released statements in recent days saying residents had reported receiving packages of seeds in the mail that they had not ordered.

"Based on information provided by constituents, the packages were sent by mail and may have Chinese writing on them," the Delaware Department of Agriculture said in a statement Monday. "All contained some sort of seed packet either alone, with jewelry, or another inexpensive item."...

Curious Me and PayrollNerd like this.
  12. BetteDavisEyes

Michigan warns residents against planting unsolicited seeds mailed from China

Residents across the U.S. who have received unsolicited seed shipments from China should not plant them, the Michigan Department of Agricultural and Rural Development said.

"The seeds are usually sent in white packages displaying Chinese lettering and the words 'China post.'" the department said in a press release. "Most recipients say they did not order anything, and that the packaging was labeled as jewelry." MDARD advises all Michigan residents to avoid opening or planting any seeds they receive.

Robin Rosenbaum, Michigan's state plant regulatory official, said the state doesn't have an official count of how many have reported receiving the seeds. Since Friday, she has received 21 calls herself, but many more have called her colleagues in the department or the U.S. Department of Agriculture...

PayrollNerd likes this.
  13. mickey2942

Three ripe cherry tomatoes so far. A few banana peppers.

14. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

Haven't been on this site in a while. I've been busy, planting tomatoes, pepper plants, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, rose bushes. I've got way more tomatoes than I can eat.
    I also dug and put in two small fish ponds with connecting waterfall and stream.....with fish. Yep. I'm going totally stir crazy being at home so much......... :p:p.

15. Quiet Time

Quiet Time Well-Known Member

Did you put in the ponds yourself?
    Impressive.

lonetraveler and mickey2942 like this.
  16. CeeCeeCat

CeeCeeCat London, UK

Today’s unexpected harvest - a courgette that seems to have sprung up overnight and two cucumbers.
    65200D76-C3D1-4B6F-933E-2FA0D3A9FE98.jpeg

17. Eleven_11

Eleven_11 Well-Known Member

My first cucumber! Going to get what I need to make pickles today. :)

Attached Files:

SA55, Gardener1850, LadyL and 4 others like this.
  18. mickey2942

Target seems to have good prices on canning products. I have been looking around.

Eleven_11 and Quiet Time like this.
  19. lonetraveler

lonetraveler Crime Addict

Yes, I dug them, put in the liners. Clay soil is like digging through concrete by the way. Love watching my fish and the sound of flowing water is very soothing.

The ponds are about 150 gallons each with a three foot tiered stream from one pond to the other. At one end there is a 80 gal pond with waterfall end going into one of the ponds. At my other house I hand dug with a shovel a four foot deep, three foot and one foot tiered 12 x 16 foot koi pond. I left that to my daughter who moved into my home after I moved into another home that I had been renting out. I love outdoor things.

20. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

We had our first BLT sandwiches from the garden tomatoes today. I sliced a beautiful, perfectly ripe, Brandywine Pink tomato and sprinkled it with kosher salt, toasted some GF whole grain bread, then put a thin layer of Duke's mayo on each piece of toast, stacked a big tomato slice, a slice of white cheddar, 2 pieces of crispy bacon, then some arugula and baby swiss chard from the garden (my other lettuces bolted in the heat). Oh. My. Goodness. was it amazing!

[​IMG]

I'm up to 3 gallons of tomatoes in my freezer and they just keep coming faster than we can eat them all. I'm freezing the ones we can't eat until I have enough to can a big batch of sauce all at once. To freeze tomatoes I simply wash them, make an x on the bottom with a paring knife and then core out the top and put in a gallon freezer bag. When I'm ready to cook with them I pull them out and let them thaw in the fridge overnight.

I'm overwhelmed with cucumbers right now and getting ready to can a big batch of pickles and relish in the next few days. I think everyone I know will be getting pickles and tomato sauce from me for Christmas this year, LOL. At least they are the right colors for the season (red and green). :p:D