Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

I can't call it part of my quarantine garden since it was planted last fall, but today I cleaned up my garlic harvest to put in the root cellar.

View attachment 261671

It wasn't as much as I hoped, but I'm pretty pleased!

And just in time as I only have one day's worth of garlic left from the pound I bought when I finished the last of last year's harvest.

Some years I grow enough to eat AND to use as seed garlic for the next year, but this year I think I will buy seed garlic and see how long into next year I can make this harvest last.

Have I mentioned I love garlic?
That’s a lot of garlic! I love garlic too so am a bit envious, lol.

My avocado tree
I saw this and kept meaning to respond. I have 3 avocado pits in a baggie. Two have sprouted. I have a big clay pot that is empty. Should I put them both in there? I’m in SWFL so I need to read up on growing them.

Attachments

• 5853ED0F-C5FF-4804-8440-4852DF7E1C3A.jpeg
    5853ED0F-C5FF-4804-8440-4852DF7E1C3A.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 39
  • E7D9BCE2-F1FC-4D7E-AB14-F145D037AF40.jpeg
    E7D9BCE2-F1FC-4D7E-AB14-F145D037AF40.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
How awesome!!!

We need snow this year, to settle those fires. It is the only thing that will completely end those horrific fires. A few years back, we had endless forest fires, an early snow in September was a blessing.

On the garden, surprisingly, the tomatoes are still going well. They didn't freeze. And the herbs are doing well too.

NE TN here - middle of Sept and plants are starting to die back. I have a few tomato plants with just a few green tomatoes left on them I'm leaving, hoping they will ripen. Green pepper plants with a couple peppers I'm hoping will mature soon. Pulled up the zucchini and cucumber plants last week. Flowering plants all losing their luster and needing to be cleaned out and discarded. Shrubs have gone crazy and need to be pruned and shaped. My fall allergies in overdrive and I'm having to stay indoors, which I absolutely hate. Spent yesterday evening deep cleaning bedroom and washing everything in sight, including dog beds and all throws I've been using.

Anyone other than me cleaning up from our summer gardens? I gave in today, after spending a couple weeks indoors due to allergies and started tackling the end of season chores. Trimmed back a rose bush that deserved to be have been replaced this summer, so sad looking, but thought today I'd give it one more chance. Trimmed shrubs and a Japanese Maple. Cut back Asian lilies, removed dead stalks from all the day lilies, Shasta daisies, black eyed Susan and ladies mantle plants. Not to mention the weeding I did. Taking a break and thinking of tackling the back porch with all the veggie containers. I can see the next couple months spending my Saturdays outdoors, readying gardens and planters for next spring.
I have planted carrot seeds, broccoli and lettuce. The lettuce looks more promising than anything else at present. I need to spray all my indoor plants/small trees I'd moved outdoors for the summer before bringing them in. Then clean off the long utility table in the garage I've used as a potting table this summer before I decide which planters to take in and try to over winter. Seriously tired, wondering what I was thinking back in spring when I started all the new plants. I wonder this every fall, but this year I planted at least twice what I usually do. Now I'm paying the price for all that early motivation.

Anyone other than me cleaning up from our summer gardens? I gave in today, after spending a couple weeks indoors due to allergies and started tackling the end of season chores. Trimmed back a rose bush that deserved to be have been replaced this summer, so sad looking, but thought today I'd give it one more chance. Trimmed shrubs and a Japanese Maple. Cut back Asian lilies, removed dead stalks from all the day lilies, Shasta daisies, black eyed Susan and ladies mantle plants. Not to mention the weeding I did. Taking a break and thinking of tackling the back porch with all the veggie containers. I can see the next couple months spending my Saturdays outdoors, readying gardens and planters for next spring.
I have planted carrot seeds, broccoli and lettuce. The lettuce looks more promising than anything else at present. I need to spray all my indoor plants/small trees I'd moved outdoors for the summer before bringing them in. Then clean off the long utility table in the garage I've used as a potting table this summer before I decide which planters to take in and try to over winter. Seriously tired, wondering what I was thinking back in spring when I started all the new plants. I wonder this every fall, but this year I planted at least twice what I usually do. Now I'm paying the price for all that early motivation.

I started that two weeks ago. The peppers and tomatoes are still doing well though.

How is everyone's garden doing? My tomatoes are still going well, and the herbs. I bought an "Aero garden" for the house this winter for herbs.

Plans for next year? I am going to do my own starts in the house in February. And I am considering getting a cold frame to start veggies outside early.

How is everyone's garden doing? My tomatoes are still going well, and the herbs. I bought an "Aero garden" for the house this winter for herbs.

Plans for next year? I am going to do my own starts in the house in February. And I am considering getting a cold frame to start veggies outside early.
You sound much more motivated than I am at this time. My tomatoes never took off this year as they have in past, although I've had all that I could personally use I only hit a couple weeks with so many I was able to share with others. A few green tomatoes left now. Herbs have thrived, I spent hours in past couple of days spraying to clean before moving indoors, harvesting, more and more cleaning, I planted lettuce seeds a couple weeks back and they're up so I'm cautiously watching.
I must say - this was my first year growing herbs and it has been eye opening. When harvesting yesterday, I inspected every single leaf and discarded all with any brown or possible signs of having been nibbled on. I easily discarded at least half of the herbs I cut, being overly selective. I had the realization while doing this - there is no way a commercial grower could possible go to the extents I have, makes me seriously wonder about that cabinet full of spices I have!
I froze lots of lemon balm in ice cubes so I can have easy access over the winter, 4 paper bags of bunches now drying. I ran out of energy and time - after multiple washings, I wrapped oregano and parsley in wet paper towels and have in refrigerator until I find the motivation within a few days time to decide how to preserve them.
I still have spearmint and lemon thyme to harvest. All herb plants after having been trimmed back are being moved inside to dining area bay window for easy access.
I honestly don't think with all these plants I'm trying to overwinter I'll reach the usual late winter/early spring "cant' wait to get my hands in the dirt" that normally descends on me.
Other than herbs and veggies, I have kicked into high gear taking cuttings of many flowers and plants and have a couple dozen cuttings sitting in water on my window sills. I gathered flower seeds from several plants yesterday also, with so many more waiting for attention. Obviously, I'm doing so in anticipation for next year's gardens, but I simply don't have energy to think of that right now.

Partly due to low yield/small size, and partly because I understand it's wise to start with new stock every few years, I decided to buy new seed garlic this year rather than planting from my harvest.

My usual sources seem to have disappeared, so today I went online looking. Wow! Nearly everything out of stock, and what was in stock was so ridiculously expensive!

I bought a pound each from Burpee and Seed Savers Exchange, and what with shipping and bizarrely high prices paid around $100 total! Yowza!

I know everything has gone sky high but that really surprised me.

Let's hope at least I get good quality and that I like the varieties (never tried them before -- Magic and Metechi)

I will plan a better garden for next year. I will have to figure out what tomatoes work best here. The "Early Girl" tomatoes don't have a lot of flavor.
I planted some Mr. Stripey tomatoes this year, they were huge, solid, and flavorful. The taste reminded me of the flavorful tomatoes my grandfather used to grow.

I planted just a couple Mr. Stripey’s this year but will plant quite a few next year since they turned out so well.

I planted some Mr. Stripey tomatoes this year, they were huge, solid, and flavorful. The taste reminded me of the flavorful tomatoes my grandfather used to grow.

I planted just a couple Mr. Stripey’s this year but will plant quite a few next year since they turned out so well.

I love the taste of Beefsteak tomatoes. Surprisingly, my Sweet Cherry 100, is still producing tomatoes. October, and I am still getting a handful a day, which is amazing for Montana. The thing has turned into a giant, sprawling bush, covered with fruit. It dwarfs all of the other tomato plants.

I will look for "Mr. Stripey" seeds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back