Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

Home cooks and professional chefs alike rely on pumpkin purée for its convenience, consistent flavor, and texture. But you might be surprised to know that this pantry staple might be hiding another ingredient inside: squash!

That’s right, some canned “pumpkin” purée is actually made from one or more types of winter squash, like butternut, Hubbard, Boston Marrow, and Golden Delicious. These squash varieties can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color than pumpkin.

So why does the label says 100% pumpkin?
The USDA is actually pretty lenient with its distinction between pumpkin and squash. Here’s their take on the contents of canned purée: “The canned product prepared from clean, sound, properly matured, golden-fleshed, firm-shelled, sweet varieties of either pumpkins and squashes by washing, stemming, cutting, steaming, and reducing to a pulp.”

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-actually-in-your-canned-pumpkin-puree-ingredient-intelligence-69123

I know it is very confusing when the label says 100% pure pumpkin.

Home cooks and professional chefs alike rely on pumpkin purée for its convenience, consistent flavor, and texture. But you might be surprised to know that this pantry staple might be hiding another ingredient inside: squash!

That’s right, some canned “pumpkin” purée is actually made from one or more types of winter squash, like butternut, Hubbard, Boston Marrow, and Golden Delicious. These squash varieties can be less stringy and richer in sweetness and color than pumpkin.

The USDA is actually pretty lenient with its distinction between pumpkin and squash. Here’s their take on the contents of canned purée: “The canned product prepared from clean, sound, properly matured, golden-fleshed, firm-shelled, sweet varieties of either pumpkins and squashes by washing, stemming, cutting, steaming, and reducing to a pulp.”

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-actually-in-your-canned-pumpkin-puree-ingredient-intelligence-69123

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/costco-pumpkin-pie-facts-gallery

I don't partake of Costco but looking at those photos sure did make me want pumpkin pie!

My squash and pumpkin plants didn't do well this year, but I did harvest three small sugar pie pumpkins plus 3-4 squash that were supposed to be Sweet Meat but they're tiny and look like they may have crossed with something else. And I just ordered one Red Kuri squash from my local food hub. Plus I think I have a couple of store-bought cans of pumpkin left from last year.

So I should have no shortage of squash at least for now. In any case, I think I'll be making a pumpkin pie soon! Yum...

I don't partake of Costco but looking at those photos sure did make me want pumpkin pie!

My squash and pumpkin plants didn't do well this year, but I did harvest three small sugar pie pumpkins plus 3-4 squash that were supposed to be Sweet Meat but they're tiny and look like they may have crossed with something else. And I just ordered one Red Kuri squash from my local food hub. Plus I think I have a couple of store-bought cans of pumpkin left from last year.

So I should have no shortage of squash at least for now. In any case, I think I'll be making a pumpkin pie soon! Yum...

I have four kids. And they all love pumpkin pie! I used to buy 2/3 of those pies a week, they ate pie for breakfast, after school snacks.

Is pumpkin a type of squash?

Oh man I love pumpkin pie (with whipped cream if possible ) for breakfast with coffee. Or any time of day. But breakfast pie is the best
I used to feed my kids pumpkin cookies for breakfast. Everyone thought I was crazy. They’re actually very nutritious. Better than any “breakfast bar” that’s for sure.

Ok. Here’s the latest: COVID may be in our garden mulch. Came off another thread here at WS. I’m not sure how much of that to believe. How can the virus live there, how did it get into the mulch?
Is this a story to keep us from planting Victory Gardens?
Be careful, I guess. With everything until this COVID thing really gets resolved.

I have spent weeks clearing off dead foliage and pulling up what seemed to be monstrous roots from dead veggies and flowers from my 2020 garden. I had 5 contractor size lawn bags of debris for pickup Friday morning. I still have shrubs and rose bushes, etc needing to be trimmed back. Mind you, I have a very tiny yard.
My re-blooming irises have thrived this fall, Dr Z was a family friend that hybridized irises and revered in the Iris community.
I have cuttings from various plants sprouting roots all over my house and seeds I saved from a dozen or more plants.
I have lettuce that I planted from seeds that still looks very promising, of course, only time will tell with that.
Yesterday, I planted 2 dozen healthy pansies in the front bed to get me through until next spring.

Ok. Here’s the latest: COVID may be in our garden mulch. Came off another thread here at WS. I’m not sure how much of that to believe. How can the virus live there, how did it get into the mulch?
Is this a story to keep us from planting Victory Gardens?
Be careful, I guess. With everything until this COVID thing really gets resolved.
What? Did you get a notice your mulch had been exposed? Or a recall notice?

Yesterday we had a warm spell and a dry day, and I discovered the soil was soft enough to dig so I decided to plant a bed of garlic.

I had grown potatoes in the same bed this summer but when I had harvested another area of potatoes a month or so ago, I only got marble size potatoes so I figured I had done something wrong, then it got cold so I was sure whatever potatoes I hadn't harvested would be tiny or rotted or both. But I had to pull the plants in order to plant the garlic in the same bed, and I found -- lots of red potatoes, both big and small! Yay!

After digging the potatoes I planted the bed with seed garlic. A variety I hadn't heard of before, though I now read that it's common. It's called Music.

Now I'm working on mulching that bed, with rotted horse manure for fertilizer, and straw for insulation.

Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have another warmish/dry day so I can plant another bed of garlic -- two beds, if the yield is good, gives me enough to use all year plus enough left to plant the next year's crop.

Trying to distract myself from the raging Pandemic rising numbers and from politics.

Realizing last year, we had trouble finding some seeds, is it too early to start thinking, planning and ordering while seeds are available?

Here is a link I came across this morning, I've never ordered from them. But seems this is the period to be trying new directions.
https://migardener.com/?affiliates=24&coupon_code=schneiderpeeps

It is the best time to start ordering seeds.

I ran across that site a week ago but I've never ordered from them. But I think I will as they have a lot of nice varieties and I love the heirlooms.

Trying to distract myself from the raging Pandemic rising numbers and from politics.

Realizing last year, we had trouble finding some seeds, is it too early to start thinking, planning and ordering while seeds are available?

Here is a link I came across this morning, I've never ordered from them. But seems this is the period to be trying new directions.

Burpee keeps sending me e-mail all winter....

No, it is not too early, many have already got their seed orders delivered and plans made. You can start already now with some chilies for example as thex need quite long.
On other plants it depends a bit on the region you live, i mean if you start now when can you transfer outside (does not work in colder regions well).
What are your interests for this year?!

Companies are already selling out of different seeds. Baker Creek Seeds just had to shut their site down for several days due to overwhelming orders and too many employees out with covid or quarantine. They opened back up yesterday. It's nuts. I'm wondering if these people are using their seeds or just hoarding them. Because I have not seen that many new gardens or gardens of substantial size.

No, it is not too early, many have already got their seed orders delivered and plans made. You can start already now with some chilies for example as thex need quite long.
On other plants it depends a bit on the region you live, i mean if you start now when can you transfer outside (does not work in colder regions well).
What are your interests for this year?!
My interest? Anything to take my mind off the reality of the state of US and the pandemic at the moment. I'm having a really hard time absorbing all the devastating news lately.
I vowed at the end of last summer to not repeat the extent of gardening I did last year, now of course, I'm anxious to get my hands back in the dirt. My double garage is presently 1/2 greenhouse. I bought 3 huge ferns around end of August that I found at Lowes for only $5 each and they are probably 4 foot tall! They take up the entire 6' utility table. I have another 2 hanging fern baskets. I have vines, geraniums, beautiful impatient dish, coleus, more vines, trailing geraniums all in garage. A couple herb planters barely hanging on.
I have several sweet potato vines rooting on my kitchen window sill.
Still at least 3, maybe 4 months away from being able to get all these outdoors. A few may actually survive the winter, alot probably won't.
I may start some lettuce inside, I miss being able to just walk out onto my back porch and snipping handfuls fresh for a salad.
I just know last year, getting my hands in dirt was a tremendous stress reliever and feel I need that now again.
I'll take inventory of my seeds this weekend and plan, probably do some ordering.
upload_2021-1-8_12-1-46.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeo20