Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowngirl

Reaction score
<a href=https://people.com/tag/prince-charles/ data-inlink=true>Prince Charles</a>, <a href=https://people.com/tag/queen-elizabeth/ data-inlink=true>queen elizabeth</a>

July 1, 1969: Queen Elizabeth II crowns her son Charles, Prince of Wales, during his investiture ceremony at Caernarvon Castle. HULTON ARCHIVE/GETTY

1662820921632.jpeg

steeltowngirl

Reaction score

Service, devotion, witness​

Shortly after her death, Pope Francis sent a telegramme to offer his condolences to King Charles III for the death of his mother, the UK’s longest-serving monarch.

“Deeply saddened to learn of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, I offer heartfelt condolences to Your Majesty, the Members of the Royal Family, the People of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.”

“I assure Your Majesty of my prayers that Almighty God will sustain you with his unfailing grace as you now take up your high responsibilities as King. Upon you and all who cherish the memory of your late mother, I invoke an abundance of divine blessings as a pledge of comfort and strength in the Lord.”

1662822051352.jpeg

they'll get you

Reaction score
King Charles reportedly had a phone conversation with Prince Harry advising him not to bring Meghan Markle to the Queen’s deathbed at Balmoral Castle.
The 73-year-old was said to have discovered the Sussexes initial plan to head to Scotland together via the media

a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced the duo would both be “travelling to Scotland” together.

The Daily Mail reports this decision was “news to the Palace and did not go down well”.

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
I will admit I was not always a big fan of Charles, which was mainly due to how I felt Diana was treated by the Royal Family.

That said, I’m older now, as is he. Seeing him now, I’m moved. He looks calm and benevolent. He looks Royal. I think King Charles III will be a great ruler.

jmo
View attachment 365445
I think many share this opinion @steeltowngirl. Also, I have to say I was a bit taken aback when Charles announced Camilla as his wife of 17 years. Where did the time go?!!

That said, in the history of the monarchy, there has truly never been a person better prepared for this position than Charles. And he had a brilliant teacher.

TootsieFootsie

Reaction score

Generations of people throughout the Commonwealth and Australia have only ever known a world where Queen Elizabeth II reigned as monarch.

But with the Queen's passing and Charles becoming King, many of the royal symbols that have been so familiar to us for so long are about to change.

From the King's Counsel prosecuting criminal cases, to the Three Lions belting out a familiar anthem with slightly different lyrics, here's what you can expect to see change in the days and months ahead.

ABC news, Australia.

steeltowngirl

Reaction score
This is the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Impressive sight.
>I will also confess to a senior moment. Way back in the thread when a poster said the Queen would be taken to Holyrood, I misread it as Hollywood. I was like… whaaaaTTT?
-STG :p :D

DB798B1B-29D5-4246-B2C4-AEE49D34E139.jpeg

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
1662845643842.png

Andrew spoke to well-wishers as he walked past crowds and said “thank you for coming” as he was greeted by members of the public.

He added: “We’ve been allowed one day, now we start the process of handing her on.”

The crowd of well-wishers at Balmoral broke out into a round of applause as the royals walked towards the castle.

Three of the Queen’s four children –Princess Anne, Prince Edward and Andrew – joined the Countess of Wessex, Anne’s husband, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, and the Queen’s grandchildren Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, and Lady Louise Windsor for a walkabout after attending a prayer service at Crathie Kirk.

The family spent just under 10 minutes intently reading the tributes and admiring the flowers before they returned inside.

Hearing one group had come from Glasgow to show their support, Edward said: “Thank you very much for coming all that way, we appreciate it.”

LaborDayRN

In a world where you can be anything, be kind
Reaction score
Quoting an Aboriginal proverb in the speech, the Queen said: "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home.”

I believe the statement was part of an address at the 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting
What a beautiful statement.

jakat

Home at Last
Reaction score
My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother, Seattle. :(

gliving

Woof
Reaction score
Here's a good schedule to watch. The traditions are centuries old. I remember when the Queen Mother died, the royal family held vigil by her coffin.

Wednesday, September 14​

Day 5: A ceremonial procession of the coffin through London is expected followed by a lying in state in parliament's Westminster Hall, codenamed "Operation Feather".

Senior members of the royal family are expected to stand guard around the coffin in a tradition known as the Vigil of the Princes"

The Queen Mother's vigil. I expect we'll see several members of the royal family participate.
1662870824107.png

In the future[edit]​

Queen Elizabeth II had four children: Charles III; Anne, Princess Royal; Prince Andrew, Duke of York; and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. She had four grandsons and four granddaughters. The official plans for the Queen's funeral, Operation London Bridge, call for the Queen's children to stand vigil over their mother's coffin, as well for the grandsons and granddaughters to do the same.

Seattle1

#LiveLikeLizzy
Reaction score
Earlier somebody asked about the Queen's cause of death or if it will even be revealed. I found news about Prince Phillip's COD and it was reported three weeks after his death.

Almost a month after he passed away, Prince Philip’s cause of death has now been confirmed: the elderly royal died of old age.

[..]

Prince Philip’s death came following a 28-day stay in hospital for an infection, which included a procedure for a pre-existing heart condition. However, when his death certificate was issued – certified by Sir Huw Thomas, head of the royal medical household –
it confirmed there was no specific cause, aside from being elderly.

Status
Not open for further replies.