Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly thought she would live forever just out of spite. She can't leave everything to Charles and the other idgets she calls family.
I thought so, too. But, she ascended the throne as the queen of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth, and she left as the queen of the United Kingdom and fourteen Commonwealth realms. So it fits.

So sad to hear about the Queen's passing, but not surprised. She's been looking very frail lately.

But what a wonderful, confident, strong and hard working woman. She served her country with passion, dignity and grace and I think she will be remembered as one of the most loved Royals around the world.

I hope her son Charles steps up and does justice to the crown and works to bring the BRF into a new era. It's time for changes IMO.

From that link:

Elizabeth became the first reigning monarch to visit Australia and New Zealand. It was estimated that three-quarters of Australians turned out to see her in person.

Wow!

We are all just waking up (on Friday morning) to the news here. Very, very sad. :(
I guess we expected it, as the news of her taking a turn for the worst was breaking on the very late news last night.

TV is playing the reruns of her Aussie visits now. The droves of people lining the streets, handing her flowers and waving flags.

We are all just waking up (on Friday morning) to the news here. Very, very sad. :(
I guess we expected it, as the news of her taking a turn for the worst was breaking on the very late news last night.

TV is playing the reruns of her Aussie visits now. The droves of people lining the streets, handing her flowers and waving flags.

She must have the most recognisable face on the planet, having been a constant for all of us for such a long time.

It’s so lovely to hear all the kind messages from around the world. She was a special lady and will be missed by many.

Attachments

• prince-harry-arrives-at-balmoral-090822-6740de0430394fa0a77c5e7715089ad1.png
    prince-harry-arrives-at-balmoral-090822-6740de0430394fa0a77c5e7715089ad1.png
    229.5 KB · Views: 36
The picture of Harry that is on this article made me get choked up. He looks devastated. Makes me think this was sudden & wonder if she passed in her sleep or something.

Anne was already at Balmoral and Charles & Camilla had engagements in Scotland, so I hope they, at least, were with her when she died.

As far as the others, it seems like it was business as usual until this morning, when they suddenly all headed up north on an RAF plane. I assume there was a sudden medical episode that prompted such a flurry of activity, especially since she was photographed (looking frail but happy) and still officially working on Tuesday. I hope they got there in time but it doesn’t sound likely.

My personal thanks to all the members in this thread. I recently lost my own mother (age 92) and I feel a bit lost at not being in UK today with this news. Theirs was truly a great generation where the heart and mind were willing until the very end where it was only their human bodies that failed them. :(

So sorry to hear about your mum.

My mum was the same age as the queen - though we lost mum many years ago - and being a Brit she loved the queen.

We were raised in a family that taught us a great respect for the queen. Mum always said that she was a wonderful monarch ... right from the young age of 25 when she was crowned. The mountain of responsibilities that were heaped on her at that age, and she always carried out her duties with the greatest of dignity and grace.

At times like this, we think of our mums.

"This is a loss we feel deeply in Australia." Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has described Queen Elizabeth II as a "wise and encouraging guide" in the wake of her death.
"Grief is the price we pay for love"
9 News Australia

Last edited:
Queens, kings and emperors have had their heads stamped on coins since ancient times.

But Queen Elizabeth II appeared on money more than any other person in history.

Her face was on coins in 35 countries including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Commonwealth nations.

Her face also appears on banknotes including Australia's $5 note and the now defunct $1 note.

New coins will need to be designed to bear an effigy of King Charles III.

However, there will be one slight difference — he will face left.

This is a tradition that dates back to the reign of Charles II in the 1600s, which dictates that each new king or queen must alternate the direction of their gaze.

The picture of Harry that is on this article made me get choked up. He looks devastated. Makes me think this was sudden & wonder if she passed in her sleep or something.

I've always related to Harry more than anyone in the family.William has been portrayed as perfect golden boy in spite of many rumors about his fidelity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23