Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

What started as a quirky tribute to the Queen has quickly gone on the nose for groundskeepers.

While many mourners have opted to leave flowers or cards, a growing number have opted for a more unusual token: the humble marmalade sandwich.

The tasty snack is a nod to a recent sketch the late monarch appeared in alongside the very British icon Paddington Bear, in which the pair enjoyed tea and sandwiches to mark her Platinum Jubilee.

However the sheer number of sandwiches being left – the majority encased in plastic wrap, has led staff at Green Park to plead with the public to look for an alternative tribute.

Tens of thousands of tributes have been left at the Royal Park in Westminster, a designated tribute site – many wrapped in plastic. Leaving the royal gardeners 'overwhelmed' as they're left to sift through and remove any packaging, as well as soft toys, candles and other trinkets.

^^BBM

Appending to my earlier message about Harry not flying with Wiliam and his uncles to Balmoral. My brother immediately reminded me it has to do with the line of succession when I first posted, but now that it's MSM, I'm sharing:

9/11/22

Prince William and other senior royals faced a mysterious hour-long delay as they rushed to see the Queen before she died on Thursday.

The RAF jet - which also had Prince Andrew, Prince Edward and his wife Sophie on board - had taken off for Balmoral at 2.39pm despite being scheduled to leave at 1.30pm, The Sun reports.

At 3.50pm the plane, a Dassault Falcon, landed at Aberdeen airport. The reason for the last-minute hold-up at RAF Northolt in South Ruislip is not yet known.

Prince Harry was not on the plane and had to make his own journey to Scotland because a crash would have sparked a constitutional crisis, experts have suggested.

Respectfully to both you and your brother, but I don't believe this is true any longer.

When it was just William and Harry, they were the well-known "heir and the spare." Now William has three children who take precedence over Harry in the order of succession. No constitutional crisis---George will be king if something happens to both Charles III and William, who weren't even traveling together, and a regnant would be assigned to help George if he were to become king when still a child.

It's Charles and William now who aren't supposed to travel together, I believe. Or William and George.

Respectfully to both you and your brother, but I don't believe this is true any longer.

When it was just William and Harry, they were the well-known "heir and the spare." Now William has three children who take precedence over Harry in the order of succession. No constitutional crisis---George will be king if something happens to both Charles III and William, who weren't even traveling together, and a regnant would be assigned to help George if he were to become king when still a child.

It's Charles and William now who aren't supposed to travel together, I believe. Or William and George.

Agreed, seems like this is faulty reporting. Harry is behind all William's children for the throne. It was mentioned that William's flight was a State flight or RAF (Royal Air Force?) Could it be that Harry didn't qualify for this flight as he "quit"?

Thanks, @Arkay.

Seems we must have missed the news that there was a change to the Regents Act which provided that Harry would be the Regent, or that Harry was otherwise removed as Regent for George.

Previously, Prince Harry would act as Regent until George's 18th birthday on 22 July 2031, and if not Harry, by Prince Andrew, and next in line would be Beatrice as Regent.

I believe King Charles III will be a wonderful King. He’s been heir apparent since aged 3 I think. It must be him, not Prince William next. I also believe Camilla has done a wonderful job. I personally have left alone and moved on from Charles and Diana. They divorced over 25 years ago.

I don’t get the rush for William and Kate. They are hard working Royals, but also have a small family. I believe they recently moved to allow for a more normal environment for their children (those plans have likely changed now). Allow them to be until that day comes. imo

@MonarchyUK

MPs and Lords have gathered in Westminster where they will shortly receive The King to express their condolences. The King cannot attend Parliament itself due to the historic antics of Charles I, so they are meeting in the grand Westminster Hall.

Attachments

• 308072DD-11C9-4DBB-9444-EEE48065E833.jpeg
    308072DD-11C9-4DBB-9444-EEE48065E833.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 88BE398D-D39E-4C37-860C-C9E9099CEEDE.jpeg
    88BE398D-D39E-4C37-860C-C9E9099CEEDE.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 94257E28-6CBB-433C-9A7A-EAA78FAB19F2.jpeg
    94257E28-6CBB-433C-9A7A-EAA78FAB19F2.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@MonarchyUK

MPs and Lords have gathered in Westminster where they will shortly receive The King to express their condolences. The King cannot attend Parliament itself due to the historic antics of Charles I, so they are meeting in the grand Westminster Hall.

Off I go to google and go down a rabbit hole of the “historic antics of Charles I”. :)

I hope that QEII would be pleased with the interest in Royal history that her passing has sparked. At least it has with me. I usually am annoyed that CNN goes on for days on end after horrific events. But this weekend they impressed me with the breadth of content about the Royal Family. I’m learning so much!

jmo

dbm Nevermind. reporters giving info on the hymns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni