Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Mourning officially goes on for another 7 days. No business, no activities, no engagements on the books.

I'm happy to see King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla have left London and will be quietly hidden away in Scotland, on the Balmoral estate property, likely staying in his home there, Birkhall. This man needs peace, rest, seclusion, and privacy, with a lifelong partner he can trust for company.

Regarding music, the Russian Kontakion of the Departed is quite moving, also.

And, I'm curious... What songs, hymns, tunes did the piper play each morning to wake the Queen?

2021 rbbm.
1663691223232.png
''The musician, known as Piper to the Sovereign, has the honour of acting as a human alarm clock for Her Majesty, blasting tunes in earshot of the Queen’s bedroom every weekday. Piper to the Sovereign stands under the monarch’s window at Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle, Balmoral or Holyroodhouse and plays for 15 minutes, starting at 9am.''

''Although the position seems simple enough, former Pipe Master Gordon Webster, who served in the role from 1995-1998, told Express.co.uk that the position is in fact extremely daunting - as he had to memorise over 700 songs.

He explained: “The Queen doesn’t like you repeating the same tunes every day.”

2021 rbbm.
View attachment 367468
''The musician, known as Piper to the Sovereign, has the honour of acting as a human alarm clock for Her Majesty, blasting tunes in earshot of the Queen’s bedroom every weekday. Piper to the Sovereign stands under the monarch’s window at Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle, Balmoral or Holyroodhouse and plays for 15 minutes, starting at 9am.''

''Although the position seems simple enough, former Pipe Master Gordon Webster, who served in the role from 1995-1998, told Express.co.uk that the position is in fact extremely daunting - as he had to memorise over 700 songs.

He explained: “The Queen doesn’t like you repeating the same tunes every day.”

This is truly the ULTIMATE LUXURY !!!

Having your own piper that travels with you to awaken you in the morning !

I's also be happy knowing that Princess Anne is getting some very private time to continue her mourning. She really needs rest and comfort. She has been through as much as King Charles.

Burns was the one who roused the queen out of her slumber on her final day at Balmoral Castle, according to the Telegraph.
I've been so touched by the role the piper played in her life and now at her death. Particularly the poignant moment when he slowly receded while piping as her coffin was lowered out of sight.

I had been wondering if perhaps the queen had died in her sleep and the public was not told, just that she wasn't well and everyone should gather until they were ready to announce it.

But thank you for the info that "Pipes," as she called him, woke her out of her slumber that last day. Now I know for sure she didn't pass in her sleep.

Anthony Albanese is the Australian Prime Minister, and yes he is there. There's a pic of him signing the book,

Scott Morrison is the former Australian PM.

Oh-oh, another Canuck who can't remember the Australian PM's name. What was going on in the world that the Australian election had so little press?

Royal Mourning officially goes on for another 7 days. No business, no activities, no engagements on the books.

I'm happy to see King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla have left London and will be quietly hidden away in Scotland, on the Balmoral estate property, likely staying in his home there, Birkhall. This man needs peace, rest, seclusion, and privacy, with a lifelong partner he can trust for company.

Yes, I was glad to read Charles and Camilla got away for a continued 7 days of quiet grief following a royal funeral. I recall they did similar after Prince Philip's funeral.

Also, noticed that Charles was seated in the same albeit lonely seat where the Queen sat during her husband's service.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but here in the UK a lot of the channels on TV have an advert ban on, so there are no commercials. During breaks, they only show an image of the queen. This is being done as a mark of respect.
Thank you @muggles63 for pointing out the distinction between live coverage in UK versus the US and other countries. IMO, the quiet helped make for pensive viewing.

If anybody is interested in watching the previous live-streamed services sans broadcaster, I suggest the "Royal Family" youtube channel where all the funeral events/services have now been uploaded.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to all the gracious members that shared in this thread over the past week. I'll never forget your courtesy, humanity, and kind words of comfort on the recent loss of my own mum. :)

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member