Question about letting 13 year old go for a walk, what's your opinion?

Also, depending on age, as a mom I’m enlarged boundaries. The street, the block, the neighborhood etc when they went out to play. And a homicide detective told me the kids whose moms know where they are and with whom are safer. So know where and who.

What is the custody arrangement? Does Dad have a legal right to veto activities when he isn’t with him? His lack of involvement doesn’t negate whatever is set out in the custody/visitation agreement. I’d hate for the Mom to have to deal with a disgruntled Dad in court.

Otherwise, I think a lot depends on the boy’s personality. Does he tend to follow the crowd or stick up for his own convictions? There might be other kids at the playground who would consider it “sport” to challenge him to do something wrong or stupid. If they call him a “chicken” or worse, will he cave to save face? It might be wise for Mom to do some role-playing with him to practice his reactions to situations that could come up. A group of kids can get ugly really fast. Make it fun, but it could make a big difference in the outcome if he’s better prepared.
JMO
Dad does not have a legal right to veto activities when he isn't with him. Mom has told him that if he wants to consider arguing about the issue he can take her to court.
He does have the ability to walk away and he knows how to handle different situations to help alleviate problems.

When I was 6, my grandparents let me bike around the block and visit friends. At 13-14, I was allowed to do basically whatever as long as I was home by 11 and called if I was going to be late. I think kids need to be taught how to be safe and make good decisions, and not be sheltered and controlled. The teen years are our only chance to truly have freedom and adventures, to relish the friendships and new experiences we just don't have the chance to have in adult life really. It is easy to read or hear about terrible things that happen to some kids, but the fact is those situations often have precipitating events or circumstances, occur in unsafe conditions etc and statically account for .5% of missing kid cases. Your child is more likely to have an accident in the backyard or in a vehicle than be kidnapped or murdered. I say let them play, let them explore, let them socialize, just be a good teacher to them about responsibility, safety and how to be smart if they get into a situation that feels únsafe'

I was doing this from the age of 4 or 5, but that was back in the 1960s. But you have to cut the strings some time. If the kid is 13 and still being hovered over by parents or grandparents, he's being overprotected. A kid at 13 should be spending the day in the woods by himself with a hatchet and a .22. Or on a creek or a pond with a fishing rod.

I had a multiply handicapped daughter. As she aged and became social I had to decide whether to further handicap her or let the chips fall and deal with the outcome. We had a plan.
I was protected into a total mental mess and misfit. My daughter, now deceased, was a hoot. If someone stared at her she'd likely ask, "Lookin at?" Then she'd laugh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back