Question about the "Tapas 9"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join the club.

You have to decide if you want to believe the staff, who were busy waiting on the tables, but with a very, very limited seating each night (you had to call for reservations early each day) they might have been more aware of empty seats than another, more traditional and larger restaurant--or the Tapas 9 diners, who were perhaps sincere in their accounts, but enjoying dinner and drinks, and not necessarily keeping strict time of when each person left or arrived.

According to waiters at the restaurant, they weren't all that busy on May 3.

Is my "uh huh" sarcastic?

I don't know, is it?

I thought your post about noting the times was, and tried to respond accordingly.

You then told me your post was sarcastic.

You're the only one who can say whether or not your next post of "uh huh" is sarcastic as well.

Up to you, Bob&Bob, which is why I asked, just to make sure I understand your intent correctly.

The article does not mention the Tapas 9's phone calls in connection with the reservoir and forest. Only in connection with the beaches.

True, but if the calls were made from the beach to somewhere else that couldn't be traced (which is what it says) then that might be important, no?

True, but if the calls were made from the beach to somewhere else that couldn't be traced (which is what it says) then that might be important, no?

This might be one of the key things in that big stack of printed phone records.

This might be one of the key things in that big stack of printed phone records.

True, and it wouldn't be the first time that cell phone records have played a major role in solving a crime - as with Scott Peterson, who made cell phone calls from places where he shouldn't have been, lying about his location.

Sadly, in this case, they are just trying to figure out where to search for Madeleine's body, and I hope they can narrow down the area of the search.

I keep thinking there has to be something in the intercepted emails and phone calls that seemed suspicious. Whether it pans out or not as deserving suspicion remains to be seen, of course.

I am also sure that the McCanns and the Tapas 9 did not for one moment consider that they might be under suspicion themselves from the very beginning. This would be due to:

a) a natural view of the inferior Portuguese police, born out repeatedly by their comments and British media atittudes
b) a naive kind of belief that they would not be considered as suspects immediately, simply because they said an abduction had occurred (that doctor superior attitude again)
c) Some of them are truly innocent and pawns more or less in the hands of the others, and their naivety overlays the entire group. They would not think that their emails and phone calls might be intercepted or listened to, because that's what you do to criminals, and they've always been good boys/girls/students/people.

I keep thinking there has to be something in the intercepted emails and phone calls that seemed suspicious. Whether it pans out or not as deserving suspicion remains to be seen, of course.

I am also sure that the McCanns and the Tapas 9 did not for one moment consider that they might be under suspicion themselves from the very beginning. This would be due to:

a) a natural view of the inferior Portuguese police, born out repeatedly by their comments and British media atittudes
b) a naive kind of belief that they would not be considered as suspects immediately, simply because they said an abduction had occurred (that doctor superior attitude again)
c) Some of them are truly innocent and pawns more or less in the hands of the others, and their naivety overlays the entire group. They would not think that their emails and phone calls might be intercepted or listened to, because that's what you do to criminals, and they've always been good boys/girls/students/people.

you forgot d) They had nothing to do with her abduction / dissapearance .

surely you cannot discount that as a posibility ?

you forgot d) They had nothing to do with her abduction / dissapearance .

surely you cannot discount that as a posibility ?

I didn't forget d.

I did not include it because I was listing reasons why if they were involved, there would be some evidence of that on intercepted emails and phone calls, and those reasons would not end and begin with "they were stupid." That's why I started out saying that there is obviously something in their calls and emails that raised suspicions--and if those remarks or actions were deserving of suspicion, why would intelligent, successful people put themselves in that position?

I did include the possibility as well that some of them are innocent and their calls/emails were still monitored or recorded.

Because it wasn't clear initially which of O'Brien's daughters was ill, I wasn't thinking about the sick child with suspicion. However, it has come to light that it was his younger child who was vomiting and that means she was only two. (The children overall are said to be two and three) That makes it even stranger that he would leave her to return to the table. As a doctor, he would be aware of the risk in that. I mean, there's negligence and there's negligence! He asserts that he and Tanner are assured they acted within the law. Humph. Many web surfers don't believe he changed his clothes due to vomit, of course.

Is there anyone that can verify that O'Brien's daughter was really sick?

Is there anyone that can verify that O'Brien's daughter was really sick?

No, not in any published reports. If it was, then it's been kept secret.

It does sound as if there was only O'Brien's word, but of course, that is not necessarily suspicious in and of itself.

I have often wondered if he felt comfortable leaving her sleeping because he gave her something like Phenergan, which stops vomiting but makes a person very sleepy, and can be given to children.

However, in all fairness, we don't know the exact nature of her illness or vomiting. Some children throw up from coughing, some from crying too hard, some from actual stomach viruses or nervous emotions.

The only thing we do know is: he says he requested a change of sheets (sounds like a pretty good event to me) and the resort staff does not remember doing that for his room.

Or his daughter could've been sedated and had a reaction from the sedative that caused her to vomit.

Or maybe his daughter was fine, and Russell O'Brien was really tending to Madeleine.

No, not in any published reports. If it was, then it's been kept secret.

It does sound as if there was only O'Brien's word, but of course, that is not necessarily suspicious in and of itself.

I have often wondered if he felt comfortable leaving her sleeping because he gave her something like Phenergan, which stops vomiting but makes a person very sleepy, and can be given to children.

However, in all fairness, we don't know the exact nature of her illness or vomiting. Some children throw up from coughing, some from crying too hard, some from actual stomach viruses or nervous emotions.

The only thing we do know is: he says he requested a change of sheets (sounds like a pretty good event to me) and the resort staff does not remember doing that for his room.

To me, it's pretty incomprehensible that someone would leave a vomiting toddler alone, whatever the source of the vomiting. The child could vomit again and choke, or vomit on him/herself and make a mess (at this age they're not too good at jumping up and making it to the bathroom). At the very least, vomiting makes most of us feel pretty rotten and wouldn't the child have appreciated a little comforting?

So, yeah, maybe phenergan or something like it would have settled the child's stomach and emotions to the point where s/he was sleeping soundly. Still, though, could you really have a good time if your child is alone in a foreign place feeling that bad?

Also, it strikes me that if McCanns had a long walk to get to their apartment (walking out the reception, then up the road to the corner), then everyone else had even FARTHER to walk to get to their kids since their apartments were around that corner....

To me, it's pretty incomprehensible that someone would leave a vomiting toddler alone, whatever the source of the vomiting. The child could vomit again and choke, or vomit on him/herself and make a mess (at this age they're not too good at jumping up and making it to the bathroom). At the very least, vomiting makes most of us feel pretty rotten and wouldn't the child have appreciated a little comforting?

So, yeah, maybe phenergan or something like it would have settled the child's stomach and emotions to the point where s/he was sleeping soundly. Still, though, could you really have a good time if your child is alone in a foreign place feeling that bad?

Also, it strikes me that if McCanns had a long walk to get to their apartment (walking out the reception, then up the road to the corner), then everyone else had even FARTHER to walk to get to their kids since their apartments were around that corner....

Well, that's just it, if the child were seriously ill to the point of needing to change the sheets, the only way I could see leaving the child with my own safe conscience would be if she given something like Phenergan.

It knocks out the nausea convulsions--it works on your stomach like a muscle relaxant--and it makes you super sleepy. You don't throw up, you sleep. It's also given as a suppository to make sure you don't vomit it back up.

You could easily have a good time with friends knowing your child was resting comfortably if she had taken Phenergan. (I think they also use it with pregnant women who have extreme nausea. )

Otherwise, it's hard to believe a doctor would leave a child who had vomited alone, given the dangers of aspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288