Questions for CNN reporter Jim Spellman - Q & A Only **NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE**

Hi Mr. Spellman, its nice to have you here on WebSleuths.

Not sure if your thread or the verified lawyers thread was the right place to ask:
KCTV5 article posted 11/3/11, updated 11/17/11 "Reporter Jim Spellman said a spokesman for the Kansas City Police Department confirmed that the neighbor has been cleared of any involvement in the disappearance of baby Lisa. The spokesperson said the department "has moved on from him," according to CNN."

The way I understand those sentences is SB's husband has been officially cleared as a person of interest since Nov 2011, is that correct? Thank you!

IIRC, you talked directly with neighbor Shane, and he said he didn't see them drinking, but thought they were, and that he didn't know DB had a baby. He was there fairly early in the evening, IIRC - did he see, hear, or interact with the other kids at all?

Hi Mr. Spellman, its nice to have you here on WebSleuths.

Not sure if your thread or the verified lawyers thread was the right place to ask:
KCTV5 article posted 11/3/11, updated 11/17/11 "Reporter Jim Spellman said a spokesman for the Kansas City Police Department confirmed that the neighbor has been cleared of any involvement in the disappearance of baby Lisa. The spokesperson said the department "has moved on from him," according to CNN."

The way I understand those sentences is SB's husband has been officially cleared as a person of interest since Nov 2011, is that correct? Thank you!

I can take this one. This was a case of it going from Jim to a producer to (to maybe someone in between) the affiliate and all the information not being correct. It's upsetting and you strive for perfection but unfortunately in this case it wasn't achieved.

Police have moved on from Mr. Brando. No one has been cleared. Not Mr. Tanko not Mr. Brando. Subsequent reports have clarified this.

I have one more, if you don't mind... do you know if neighbor SB was/is a SAHMom like DB or if she works? Were only the women friends?

P.S. I will also ask Ron too.

Just for clarity (not that you are stating anything different) - J. Brando left his house at 5 p.m., at around the same time DB was getting back home from Fiesta. Samantha B. left DB's house between 5:30 - 6:30 to go to the liquor store. There are no reports that James was at the Irwin house, to my knowledge.

Sorry if I was unclear. You are correct, no indication the James was at the Bradley/Irwin house.

As for Samantha going to the liquor store...I know from one good source that she went out and bought some alcohol, but i don't have a firm time. 5:30-6:30 would certainly make sense. There are a couple of likely places that she would go to buy alcohol in the area, all close to the house. Could leave and get back in 10-15 minutes.

Actually if you read my question I asked not only if he had spoken to her brother on-camera or on background AND if he'd looked into her brother's background and, if so, what did he learn.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

We found nothing particularly interesting or relevant in his background. Keep in mind we're journalist and not cops...so we have access to public information but LE may well have more. We can do pretty thorough background searches though and they usually turn up anything relevant.

Allow me to ask a question if you don't mind: Many folks here and in other on line venues seem to think the Deborah's brother was involved in the disappearance of Lisa. What is this based on? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!
Jim

Sorry if I was unclear. You are correct, no indication the James was at the Bradley/Irwin house.

As for Samantha going to the liquor store...I know from one good source that she went out and bought some alcohol, but i don't have a firm time. 5:30-6:30 would certainly make sense. There are a couple of likely places that she would go to buy alcohol in the area, all close to the house. Could leave and get back in 10-15 minutes.

In the People magazine timeline they say that Samantha ate dinner with the 3 older kids and DB at 5:30. Then while Samantha made her liquor run, her 4 yr old helped DB put Lisa to bed at :6:40. So I think her liquor run began around 6:15 or 6:30 ish.

eta;

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_n...-disappearance
[askfornina sent me the correct link.]

We found nothing particularly interesting or relevant in his background. Keep in mind we're journalist and not cops...so we have access to public information but LE may well have more. We can do pretty thorough background searches though and they usually turn up anything relevant.

Allow me to ask a question if you don't mind: Many folks here and in other on line venues seem to think the Deborah's brother was involved in the disappearance of Lisa. What is this based on? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!
Jim

Best I can tell, it's simply because he was at the home and drove DB to the store that afternoon/early evening. Mostly, I've seen people wonder if he might've assisted in some sort of disposal. Just conjecture, same as with JB and Jersey. Nothing concrete to tie any of them to Lisa's disappearance, so far as I can tell.

Thanks!
Jim

Hi Jim-There was a story printed very early in the case -where it said PN was there that night and claimed he saw DB drunk and passed out-Its in the Was DB brother there that night thread here on WS-But I guess some people think this journalist or station is not worthy of listening to..

Thanks!
Jim

Jim, I am not one who believes PN was involved with whatever happened, but I believe the roots of the suspicion are as follows:

1. He took DB to the store where she bought wine and other items the afternoon before Lisa went missing.

2. Very early on there was a rumor, never substantiated by LE, that a text message had gone from PN's phone to DB's (or perhaps it was vice versa) sometime prior to JI returning home saying "I'm ready when you are." This rumor gave rise to the suspicion that PN was helping DB dispose of the body.

3. There was another unsubstantiated rumor that PN had actually spent the night at the Irwin/Bradley home the night Lisa went missing. This rumor was fed by the announcement by KCPD that they needed to talk with the parents about who came and went from the home that night. It was assumed that PN was in fact there and was withholding that information as well as other information about what happened the night of Lisa's disappearance.

4. There was another rumor, much propagated on Facebook, that a woman had seen DB & PN at at local landfill arguing about something about a week before Lisa went missing.

5. PN is quite young and yet apparently owns a house. This causes some to question the source of his financial means.

As I said, I'm not of the mindset that PN was involved, but I believe the above are some of the reasons that some are.

And thank you again for taking the time to post here and answer our questions. We don't all agree on what happened or who was involved, but we are all concerned about Lisa Irwin.

I can take this one. This was a case of it going from Jim to a producer to (to maybe someone in between) the affiliate and all the information not being correct. It's upsetting and you strive for perfection but unfortunately in this case it wasn't achieved.

Police have moved on from Mr. Brando. No one has been cleared. Not Mr. Tanko not Mr. Brando. Subsequent reports have clarified this.

Thank you for your response. Would you happen to have a link to one of those later articles that corrects the misinformation?

PN is a 20 yr. old kid. It is not odd to think that he may have wanted to hang out with his sister and her newly single young blond friend. We have seen PICS of him before partying at the Lister basement.

The neighbor seems to be a man magnet. Why would he leave if he didn't have plans? In fact, what made DB call him to take her to the store when there were two able bodies right inside of her house?

Since we know of the closeness of DB and her brother, Phil, I don't find it odd at all to consider him as a possibility of being there...at least for a little while.

Why shouldn't this be a possibility?

I want to welcome you to Websleuths, Jim, and tell you that I really admire the way you answer questions. You seem very professional and don't seem to toot your own horn. You also don't make your personal thoughts apparent in this case. I like that and think that your input will be very valuable to those of us here who really want the person that took Lisa to be found and punished...whoever it is.

I don't think it's odd to wonder about his movements or anyone else's that night, Whisperer. Just wish LE would give an update and put to rest at least some of what they know didn't happen.

I fully understand why they don't, but it would be nice to know if they've actually cleared anyone to their investigative satisfaction (which, IMO, is different than stating to the public - and thus to any potential suspects - that anyone has/hasn't been cleared).

Jim, when you were told by an LE source that they had moved on from JB, was it your impression that they meant he did not warrant further investigation by them at that time?

I have one more, if you don't mind... do you know if neighbor SB was/is a SAHMom like DB or if she works? Were only the women friends?

P.S. I will also ask Ron too.

Mostly a stay at home mom, but I believe she had a sort of maid service.

I pulled out my Baby Lisa notebook so I have it in front of me. I'll just get all of the info on James Brando out here so everyone has it. This is per my conversations with James.

Timeline:
Oct. 3-- Midday James and Samantha have an appointment with their marriage counselor and they decide to separate beginning that night. James does not want to but Samantha does. They run some errands--James takes their daughter to the blockbuster video store to rent movies, Samantha goes to Target. The Target and Blockbuster are in the same shopping center as the Festival Foods where Deborah bought wine that evening. James and daughter are home for a while...

4:45pm Samantha comes home. It's awkward and James doesn't know where he is going to go for the first night of their separation.

5:00p--James leaves and drives around for a bit.

5:15p --James goes to his high school friend's house. I'm omitting his name just because I don't see a reason for it to be out there. They watch the Texas vs. Tampa Bay baseball game. I asked if they were drinking and he says no.

Time unknown, 8th inning. Friend and James First they swings by friends brothers for 2 minutes, then they go to the Wal-Mart at 72nd and Antioch to buy toothbrush, razor and stuff for lunch the next day. They then go to friends mom house for about 10 minutes. All these locations are close to each other.

They return to the friends house and watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Breaking Bad on Netflix.

10:33 Texts Samantha to say good night

10:54 Samantha texts him back and says good night. When i asked him he showed me the texts on his phone.

11:30pm- James goes to bed on the friends couch.

4:15 am October 4-James wakes up

5:05 Leaves for work at the Rosecrans Air National Guard Base in St. Josephs +/- 1 hour away.

5:55 am Arrives at base, starts to take a snooze in his car before having to begin work at 6:30am.

5:59 Samantha calls him and tells him about Lisa. Samantha tells him that at 4pm Jeremy came banging on the door looking to see if Lisa was there. He debates going home but they need him on base and Samantha says there is not much he can do so he stays and works his shift.

3:00p His shift is over, he comes home to news crews, cops etc.

OK, so that is the timeline that night.

Other bits of Info
-James says he was polygraphed by the FBI and they told him he didn't have any issues.
-James says his house was searched day one.
-Says that LE used swatches of material and rubbed them on Samantha's skin to be used in canine searches.

Re: James, KCPD told me that "we have spoken to him, he was cooperative, we've moved on"

James says he thinks he was the focus of the investigation early on and that he thought LE thought he did it. He says LE aggressively checked out his alibi ( if that is a correct word here) going to the friends house, the wal-mart, looking at surveillance tape etc. KCPD wouldn't give me details about this but given that they said "they have moved on" I think it's fair to infer that there was no major issues with his story during the time frame laid out above.

We also spoke about other, more personal, things that I am not going to discuss because that is the agreement I have with James. So, don't be surprised if i don't respond to questions on other topics.

And finally I will add that James wasn't exactly eager to talk to me on the record and it took lots of time to bring him around, but once we started speaking he answered everything I asked him and everything I was able to check out was as he said. We continue to be in touch and he has remained open with me.

Your post is most appreciated, Jim. I've never suspected JB, and hopefully your information will help lessen others' suspicions about him. I actually feel very sorry for the guy.

Did any of your sources ever share with you whether the dumpster fire was ultimately thought to have some relevance to Lisa?

Jim:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. My reasoning for finding the brother suspect is two-folks: the first may sound superficial but friends don't let friends buy boxed wine and after seeing the store surveillance it raised a huge red flash to me (yes, I know it's odd on my part)... Then, after seeing him in the background of various appearances his demeanor seemed odd in a way that reminded me either of Scott Peterson avoiding being the center of attention so Amber wouldn't discover his lies or the demeanor of someone with a great deal of guilt on his conscience. I'd suggest re-watching footage he appears in with that in mind and see if you get that vibe.

Look forward to your feedback and thanks again.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G

Hi Jim-There was a story printed very early in the case -where it said PN was there that night and claimed he saw DB drunk and passed out-Its in the Was DB brother there that night thread here on WS-But I guess some people think this journalist or station is not worthy of listening to..

Link?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back