GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Quit Smoking with e-cigarettes

Discussion in 'WS-BAY!' started by JBean, Aug 30, 2010.

1. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

2. esmerelda

esmerelda Well-Known Member

I know this thread isn't very active. I quit tobacco cold turkey w an ecig. Going on 7 mos. Never tried to quit before, aside from knowing i was killing myself I really didn't want to quit. Pack a day, for 20+ yrs. My Dr isn't happy, but I am. I did a ton of research medical studies, US and UK. I crave...Something, not sure what, but no desire to have the real thing again. No weight gain either.

3. esmerelda

esmerelda Well-Known Member

So it will be a year for me 1st weekend in July. I'm really hoping to lose the vape also. I went from a pod a day during Oct to 2 pods a week currently. Every once in awhile I do start "jonesing" for something, but I know I don't want that awful smelling, nasty taste again. After all my research I discovered nicotine is not the only addictive substance in real smokes. Wish I could remember what that was, I feel that is what I'm missing on challenging days.

4. TeaTime

TeaTime Well-Known Member

It has been 7 years and 8 months since my last cigarette. I use Nicorette gum and NJOY vape cigarettes. Still addicted to nicotine, but at least I am not filling up my lungs with 1,ooo's of chemicals, tar and smoke. It was easy to stop the Marlboros. Never missed it and smoked a pack a day for 33 years.

AC4RD likes this.
  5. AC4RD

AC4RD Member

TeaTime, congratulations on making it that long! It's been 22 years for me and I don't miss cigarettes at all but I sure do miss my pipe. :) If you've made it that long, your lungs have improved a TON, and you're almost certainly not going to get re-hooked after so long. It's a heck of an investment in willpower, but you're at the point where the returns are substantial!

BUT ... pardon me for "being a mommy" and you probably already know that vaping is better for you than smoking (probably) but there are still a number of potential risks:

9 chemicals identified so far in e-cig vapor that are on the California Prop 65 list of carcinogens and reproductive toxins | Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport but I worked in pulmonary medical research for 20 years before I hit bone marrow transplant, and I watched a whole lot of really nice people die. You get to know and like the patients, and watching them die of emphysema or chronic bronchitis or CF or lung cancer--it's really painful. So pardon me for being a wet blanket, please? :)

teedie2, Curious Me and zoey like this.
  6. zoey

zoey Well-Known Member

I quit by using the E-cig along with all the other things----haven't missed it a bit-----Can't stand cigarette smoke----

teedie2 likes this.
  7. teedie2

teedie2 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, zoey. I quit years ago, cold turkey. Got past the first part of it with Werther's and lemon drops. I HATE to be around anyone who has the nicotine odor, or get into a car, elevator, etc where a smoker has been.

My husband didn't quit until he had a heart attack, and a 5-bypass surgery. He sort of "dried out" of nicotine while in hospital, I guess, and he never smoked again, but it was too late for him. He was later diagnosed with COPD. It was so hard to see him dwindle, and not be able to do anything. It's a terrible way to pass.

Congratulations to all of you who have kicked the habit without forming new ones that are just as bad.

Curious Me likes this.
  8. margarita25

9. margarita25

Mayo Clinic: Vaping illnesses 'direct chemical injury'

“A study released by the Mayo Clinic on Wednesday showed that lung illnesses from vaping are most likely a "direct chemical injury," similar to the dangers of being exposed to toxic chemical fumes and poisonous gases.

The study, which reviewed lung biopsies from 17 patents suspected to have a vaping-related lung injury, did not find evidence of injuries caused by the accumulation of lipids, such as mineral oils. The injuries, instead, were likely caused "by direct toxicity or tissue damage from noxious chemical fumes," a news release from the Mayo Clinic said.”

Curious Me likes this.
  10. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – Researchers at the University of Kansas Medical Center are using a “vaping robot” to study the effects of smoking e-cigarettes.

Dr. Matthias Salathe is a pulmonologist and professor at KU Med. He’s been skeptical of the perception that somehow vaping is safer than smoking since e-cigs were introduced to the U.S more than a decade ago.

“When you hear vaping is safe, be careful is what that means,” Salathe said. “The lungs are exposed to a gigantic concentration of nicotine.”
    On Thursday, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention announced that it had identified 1,080 cases of lung illnesses linked to vaping, an increase of 275 since last week.

At least 19 people have died. Many of the severe lung injuries have been associated with THC vapes that may have been altered.

Researchers at KU Medical Center using ‘vaping robot’ to study effects of e-cigarettes

Curious Me likes this.