Quit Smoking with e-cigarettes

Discussion in 'WS-BAY!' started by JBean, Aug 30, 2010.

1. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

2. esmerelda

esmerelda Well-Known Member

I know this thread isn't very active. I quit tobacco cold turkey w an ecig. Going on 7 mos. Never tried to quit before, aside from knowing i was killing myself I really didn't want to quit. Pack a day, for 20+ yrs. My Dr isn't happy, but I am. I did a ton of research medical studies, US and UK. I crave...Something, not sure what, but no desire to have the real thing again. No weight gain either.

3. esmerelda

esmerelda Well-Known Member

So it will be a year for me 1st weekend in July. I'm really hoping to lose the vape also. I went from a pod a day during Oct to 2 pods a week currently. Every once in awhile I do start "jonesing" for something, but I know I don't want that awful smelling, nasty taste again. After all my research I discovered nicotine is not the only addictive substance in real smokes. Wish I could remember what that was, I feel that is what I'm missing on challenging days.

4. TeaTime

TeaTime Well-Known Member

It has been 7 years and 8 months since my last cigarette. I use Nicorette gum and NJOY vape cigarettes. Still addicted to nicotine, but at least I am not filling up my lungs with 1,ooo's of chemicals, tar and smoke. It was easy to stop the Marlboros. Never missed it and smoked a pack a day for 33 years.

AC4RD likes this.
  5. AC4RD

AC4RD Member

TeaTime, congratulations on making it that long! It's been 22 years for me and I don't miss cigarettes at all but I sure do miss my pipe. :) If you've made it that long, your lungs have improved a TON, and you're almost certainly not going to get re-hooked after so long. It's a heck of an investment in willpower, but you're at the point where the returns are substantial!

BUT ... pardon me for "being a mommy" and you probably already know that vaping is better for you than smoking (probably) but there are still a number of potential risks:

9 chemicals identified so far in e-cig vapor that are on the California Prop 65 list of carcinogens and reproductive toxins | Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education

I'm not trying to be a spoilsport but I worked in pulmonary medical research for 20 years before I hit bone marrow transplant, and I watched a whole lot of really nice people die. You get to know and like the patients, and watching them die of emphysema or chronic bronchitis or CF or lung cancer--it's really painful. So pardon me for being a wet blanket, please? :)

Curious Me and zoey like this.
  6. zoey

zoey Well-Known Member

I quit by using the E-cig along with all the other things----haven't missed it a bit-----Can't stand cigarette smoke----