Race fan takes a drive around track for her 100th birthday

Discussion in 'News that makes you smile!' started by Dark Knight, May 1, 2011.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

In a year that's already seen the youngest-ever winner of the Daytona 500, it's only appropriate that we hit the other end of the spectrum with what has to be the oldest driver ever to take a spin around a NASCAR track.

Meet Rachel Gilbert of Laconia, N.H. She's approaching her 100th birthday, and she's a NASCAR devotee. And as a birthday present, New Hampshire Motor Speedway gave her a chance to drive around the track in a Toyota Camry pace car.

And she wasn't in the shotgun seat. She was driving.

One other note: This was Gilbert's first time behind the wheel in about five years. So it's probably good that there was only one kind of turn involved.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog...e-fan-takes-a-drive-around-track-for-her-100t

2. Loading...

3. Charlie09

Charlie09 Former Member

I think this is terrific on so many levels. Good for her, good for whoever let them know it'd be a dream come true, and good for the team at the speedway for honoring her thta way. I love it!

4. AnotherGladysKravitz

AnotherGladysKravitz New Member

Happy Belated Birthday, Rachel. You Go Girl!!

5. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

Great for her! Maybe when I turn 100 I'll finally get a chance to drive a Formula One car. Bernie Ecclestone will be 115 years old then and still in charge. :great: