Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those accusing Cosby stated she is gong to file a civil suit. So, it is about money. Honestly, after all these years and no evidence, would any jury convict Cosby?

Do you suppose I can join the bandwagon and get a few bucks?
You really do doubt all these women?

One of those accusing Cosby stated she is gong to file a civil suit. So, it is about money. Honestly, after all these years and no evidence, would any jury convict Cosby?

Do you suppose I can join the bandwagon and get a few bucks?

Sure-go ahead. Then maybe you'll see why so many women opt not to make that charge about a very influential man in their work industry. Actually, why don't you just make that charge about the CEO of the company where you work? That makes more sense from an apples to apples approach.

The Cosby Show...(The Atlantic)
Declining to seriously reckon with the rape allegations against him is reckless. And I was once reckless.

---
I published a reported essay in 2008, in this magazine, on these call-outs. In that essay, there is a brief and limp mention of the accusations against Cosby. Despite my opinions on Cosby suffusing the piece, there was no opinion offered on the rape accusations. This is not because I did not have an opinion. I felt at the time that I was taking on Cosby's moralizing and wanted to stand on those things that I could definitively prove. Lacking physical evidence, adjudicating rape accusations is a murky business for journalists. But believing Bill Cosby does not require you to take one person's word over another—it requires you take one person's word over 15 others.
---
lengthy article at link

You really do doubt all these women?

I do. The one on the news this morning said, He offered her pills and told her to take them and she did. Also that she continued seeing him after that.
I think that slowly there will be something about each of them that makes this make more sense. Why isn't Gloria Allred all over the news championing them. I am telling you at this point something still does not feel right. Not to me.

Sure-go ahead. Then maybe you'll see why so many women opt not to make that charge about a very influential man in their work industry. Actually, why don't you just make that charge about the CEO of the company where you work? That makes more sense from an apples to apples approach.

Easier with Cosby since he's already paid off one woman.

I just think it's about money. Isn't that what a civil suit would decide?

Tamara Green says he left her two one hundred dollar bills. But, there's no story to say she gave back the money. http://madamenoire.com/484088/bill-cosbys-alleged-rape-victim-speaks-out/

Tamara Green says he left her two one hundred dollar bills. But, there's no story to say she gave back the money. http://madamenoire.com/484088/bill-cosbys-alleged-rape-victim-speaks-out/

Easier for you, maybe, but I believe you are missing my point. These women would have significantly damaged their careers in making their charges against someone who has so much influence in their chosen industry-not at all the same as you making the same charge, which is ridiculous. If you've never been drugged without your knowlege or consent, then you probably don't realize that your best recollection of the events would be too fuzzy to be cross examined-knowing that and weighing it against what damage you'd do to your career, equals walking away from it. Better than 90% of these women were not paid off, and likely won't be, because he can't trade it for their silence any more.

Wow-I guess he thought that was all her dignity was worth-why would there be an article about her giving it back, if he left it with her? Was she supposed to chase after his car to try to do it?

sorry that show aired 98-2000 so i was assuming 10 years ago but first complaint was 2005 and the show with the kids was 16 yrs ago..

What does his show with kids have to do with anytihing? It takes a special kind of sick to rape children and there has been not one hint from anyone that Cosby has that particular sickness. He is accused of drugging and or forcing himself on grown women so I am not sure why anyone would be concerned with him being with children.

Additionally, if you look at his accusers, it appears he was no fool in picking his victims. He did this with vulnerable women with no real power. So the odds that he would do this to a co-star of his show, adult or ortherwise is highly unlikely. He picked women likely to keep quiet when abused by a rich and powerful celebrity.

All that said, I have already stated, I do not beleive Janice Dickenson and I am even more disgusted with her than I have always been. She has given the defenders a perfect opportunity to defend because her credibility is zero. Even if she was telling the truth, she should have stayed out of it for just that reason. However, I will say it again. The fact that one woman is lying does not negate the claims of all the other women.

As far as the comment someone made about Bill Clinton and Woody Allen getting a pass, I think there are plenty of people that detest both of them. Personally, I have not heard any believable claim that Clinton drugged or raped anyone. Had sex with them, definitely, but Cosby's not losng all of these deals because he is a cheater. If that ruined the careers of actors, there wouldn't be any left. He is losing them because he is being called a rapist. Cheating husband vs. Rapist = HUGE difference, IMO.

As for Woody Allen, I share the disgust that he still has a career. A child rapist is the lowest of the low.

I was a big fan of The Cosby Show back in the day. I loved the characters and laughed hysterically.

I was thinking yesterday, that if, back then, I had heard about a woman (singular) saying that Cosby had raped her, I probably would have thought she was a nut-job. Huxtable was such a (positively) strong character, and it translated directly to Cosby's image.

It would have been terrifyingly paralyzing to have to be the "first" one to report rape by a Cosby back then. I sadly acknowledge that I probably would not have believed a first such report.

I was a big fan of The Cosby Show back in the day. I loved the characters and laughed hysterically.

I was thinking yesterday, that if, back then, I had heard about a woman (singular) saying that Cosby had raped her, I probably would have thought she was a nut-job. Huxtable was such a (positively) strong character, and it translated directly to Cosby's image.

It would have been terrifyingly paralyzing to have to be the "first" one to report rape by a Cosby back then. I sadly acknowledge that I probably would not have believed a first such report.

If they had gone to the police back then and gone through proper channels, I would have believed it. I would have been sad but I would have believed it.
The problem is when you wait 30 years and then come out.. It just changes things.

What does his show with kids have to do with anytihing? It takes a special kind of sick to rape children and there has been not one hint from anyone that Cosby has that particular sickness. He is accused of drugging and or forcing himself on grown women so I am not sure why anyone would be concerned with him being with children.

Additionally, if you look at his accusers, it appears he was no fool in picking his victims. He did this with vulnerable women with no real power. So the odds that he would do this to a co-star of his show, adult or ortherwise is highly unlikely. He picked women likely to keep quiet when abused by a rich and powerful celebrity.

All that said, I have already stated, I do not beleive Janice Dickenson and I am even more disgusted with her than I have always been. She has given the defenders a perfect opportunity to defend because her credibility is zero. Even if she was telling the truth, she should have stayed out of it for just that reason. However, I will say it again. The fact that one woman is lying does not negate the claims of all the other women.

As far as the comment someone made about Bill Clinton and Woody Allen getting a pass, I think there are plenty of people that detest both of them. Personally, I have not heard any believable claim that Clinton drugged or raped anyone. Had sex with them, definitely, but Cosby's not losng all of these deals because he is a cheater. If that ruined the careers of actors, there wouldn't be any left. He is losing them because he is being called a rapist. Cheating husband vs. Rapist = HUGE difference, IMO.

As for Woody Allen, I share the disgust that he still has a career. A child rapist is the lowest of the low.

bbm: He is lower than pool drain debris IMO

If they had gone to the police back then and gone through proper channels, I would have believed it. I would have been sad but I would have believed it.
The problem is when you wait 30 years and then come out.. It just changes things.

Scarlett, I wish you would stop saying this. It is simply not true. Many of these women "came out" around the time of Andrea C's lawsuit back in 2006. I and others have posted numerous links to prove this.

BBM

"Why didn’t the women go to the police back then? Why didn’t they come forward sooner? These and other variations on killing the messengers at times dominate online arguments. As usual, they say more about the commenters than the commented-upon, because the answers are fairly obvious. Because he was powerful, adored, and no one would have believed them? Because the drugs they say they were given rendered their memories of the encounters uncertain? Because — and anyone who works with sexual assault victims will back this up — many women bury their shame and trauma down where no one can see it, least of all a justice system that can be profoundly unsympathetic even in cases where the perpetrator isn’t a national icon?"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/the...k-away-long/2YTejl6WfvRkiIIzP5ZMyN/story.html

Hmm...this woman's story has some problems, unfortunately (for her). Spending a number of nights with him subsequent to the time she alleges that she was assaulted, combined with keeping in touch with him for a number of years post-assault, wipes out her credibility-at least as far as being traumatized goes. I think there is a continuum here that ranges from violent drugged assault, to girlfriends, and maybe BC thinks of them all as prostitutes

Hmm...this woman's story has some problems, unfortunately (for her). Spending a number of nights with him subsequent to the time she alleges that she was assaulted, combined with keeping in touch with him for a number of years post-assault, wipes out her credibility-at least as far as being traumatized goes. I think there is a continuum here that ranges from violent drugged assault, to girlfriends, and maybe BC thinks of them all as prostitutes
True -- though certain victims do seek out and otherwise protect their abusers. The psychology is complex, the instances sad.

True -- though certain victims do seek out and otherwise protect their abusers. The psychology is complex, the instances sad.

Yes-I think it's very complex, as you said. I suppose if you've been savagely raped by a stranger while walking home late at night, the story is clearcut, but when it comes right down to it, no more traumatic than what BC's alleged to have done; easier to believe the victim, though. Actually, I would be very traumatized by not being able to remember what happened to me

Yes-I think it's very complex, as you said. I suppose if you've been savagely raped by a stranger while walking home late at night, the story is clearcut, but when it comes right down to it, no more traumatic than what BC's alleged to have done; easier to believe the victim, though. Actually, I would be very traumatized by not being able to remember what happened to me
Ta-Nehisi Coates, in the The Atlantic piece, put it this way:

Rape constitutes the loss of your body, which is all you are, to someone else. I have never been raped. But I have, several times as a child, been punched/stomped/kicked/bumrushed while walking home from school, and thus lost my body. The worst part for me was not the experience, but the humiliation of being unable to protect my body, which is all I am, from predators. Even now as I sketch this out for you publicly, I am humiliated all again. And this happened when I was a child. If recounting a physical assault causes me humiliation, how might recounting a sexual assault feel? And what would cause me to willingly stand up and relive that humiliation before a national audience? And why would I fake my way through such a thing? Cosby's accusers—who have no hope of criminal charges, nor civil damages—are courting the scrutiny of Cosby-lovers and rape-deniers. To what end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77