Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #2

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by Steely Dan, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScarlettScarpetta

ScarlettScarpetta When the going gets tough, drink coffee

But it does make it something that can not be proven. We don't prosecute people if there is no evidence. Nor should we tear them apart without evidence.
    I don't like when people talk about people that have not been even charged with anything. It bothers me.

2. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Innocent until proven guilty means that you can't be convicted without proof.

It doesn't mean that people can't talk about you or have the opinion that you probably did it.

3. Slebby

Slebby Member

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...ainment-industry-enabled-bill-cosby/22619615/

"I commend those responsible for canceling Cosby’s new projects after more than a dozen women came forward. A Cosby crony, former NBC employee Frank Scotti, told the Daily News he paid off women for the comedian in the 1980s. Besides Scotti, there are plenty of others who knew this was going on and did nothing. Those who at best looked the other way and at worst supplied the family friendly fraud with young girls.

"As a television viewing public, once we get past not believing three-dozen women and finally admit Cosby is a serial rapist, the next phase is even more uncomfortable. It’s realizing there’s an industry we love and admire that fostered, promoted and profited off a Cosby. Who was going to stop the gravy train just because a couple of models got hurt? Apparently no one."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

True, just because O.J., Casey Anthony, and Michael Jackson weren't convicted, doesn't make them any less guilty of their crimes.

5. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Actually, the NFL tends to look the other way and ignore criminal charges and violence in their players' personal lives. Ray Rice punching his wife unconscious in an elevator video was just one example. Then there's the one who beat his son's legs with a switch,and Aaron Hernandez- murderer on the Patriots, need I say more???

6. Donjeta

http://jezebel.com/reading-bill-cosby-the-wit-and-wisdom-of-an-accused-se-1679809081
    Reading Bill Cosby: The Wit And Wisdom Of An Accused Serial Rapist

7. Donjeta

8. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

9. IzzyBlanche

IzzyBlanche Well-Known Member

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...oorers-Bond-Hearing-2&p=11448374#post11448374

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...arita-23-January-2015&p=11436008#post11436008

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?248597-Chase-Merritt-3&p=11178046#post11178046

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nsic-Confirmation**-5&p=11128713#post11128713

10. SuzieQue

SuzieQue New Member

A couple of thoughts...

Accusations (that we know of) against BC date back to 1965.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/154160_timeline_of_bill_cosby_sexual_assault_allegations/

Let's look at the mind set back then. Women had only been assured of keeping a job if she were pregnant in '78. Borrowing money '74 (Equal Credit Opportunity Act). Marital rape was not outlawed in all 50 states till 1993. Sexual harassment wasn't defined by the EEOC until 1980. And many women faced push back when she tried to exercise those rights. At home and at work. Myself included. Quite simply, women were accustomed to asking (men) for permission. Generally speaking.

Rape hot lines didn't exist till the 70's and were only available in bigger cities. The same with women's shelters. Survivor blaming was the norm. Maybe it was rape if the women was beaten and showed signs of fighting back, even after they were were told not to. Women were routinely denied welfare benefits after leaving an abusive partner because of his income. DNA testing didn't exist. Nor did testing victims for drugs.
    Police were not educated in how to handle complaints of rape or sexual assault and were often brutal in questioning.
    The term date rape didn't come about till 1980.

The statutes of limitations were different then. Strides have been made.
    Current statutes: http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA ...sault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    It also matters if is was a rape or sexual assault.

By their nature rape and sexual assault are generally crimes without witnesses. It is only the kids today with cell phones that are idiotic enough to record their crimes.
    Today, if a woman is raped, taken seriously, goes through rape kit testing, by specially trained personnel, there is a good chance that her kit will languish unprocessed (est. 400,000). Out of 100 rapes, 32 will get reported to police, 7 will lead to an arrest, 3 are refereed to prosecutors, and 2 will be convicted and serve time.

So you meet a rich and powerful man. He offers to mentor you and your career. He is an American hero. You agree to meet. He offers you a beverage. Or something for you headache. Very bad things happen. What is your first reaction? Do you even remember what happened beyond that sickening feeling in your gut? If you do remember? Get safe, denial, shame? Do you repress it? What would you do? In 1965?

We cannot judge the past by today's mindset and legal options. Most of those options didn't exist when BC started raping.

I am not surprised that the women who couldn't would stand up for themselves are standing up for the women now coming forward.

Rape takes away your feeling of worthiness. They may not have felt worthy enough to stand up for themselves, but see the worthiness in others.

11. Blondie in Spokane

Support for Cosby Misguided and Baffling

"The point is, one does not simply accuse Bill Cosby of something as heinous as premeditated rape without knowing that there will be some manner of backlash for it. Indeed, local comedian Tony “T-Robe” Roberson told the Pittsburgh City Paper Jan. 21 that Cosby’s talent is something that people “need to receive” and though the allegations might be true, “my heart won’t let me believe that.”

"In case you missed it, Roberson just said that Cosby’s talent excuses anything he may have done – you’re obligated to “receive” him anyway, just because he’s good at what he does. You’re not supposed to think about it, or consider what it means to you if the allegations are true. Whatever he may have done is irrelevant. You need to have respect for the man, regardless."

"Roberson’s statement makes your skin crawl, as does the following reader comment on the City Paper’s website, “Mr. Cosby… has done 40 years of good work past the point of what was said to have happened. Mr. Cosby has redeemed himself many, many times over."

“Past the point of what was said to have happened.” Here is a human being literally telling us, “You know what? He’s a good guy, really! Let him have a rape here and there over the course of a few decades, it’s all good! He’s spending the rest of his time making up for it! Let him have some kind of payment for his good works!” After biting back the vomit that came up when I read this (and the rest of the comments), I couldn’t help but wonder – would the person who wrote it trust Cosby alone with their daughter? I honestly don’t remember the last time I felt as genuinely creeped out and uneasy about setting foot out my door and among these people as I did while reading those comments. It’s absolutely true – celebrities can get away with anything, and do it with the people’s blind-eyed blessings to boot."

http://www.pointparkglobe.com/news/view.php/859454/Support-for-Cosby-misguided-and-baffling

12. Donjeta

Here's the original story
    http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...l-go-on/Content?oid=1801984&showFullText=true

13. IzzyBlanche

IzzyBlanche Well-Known Member

14. IndianSummer

IndianSummer New Member

What if the victim was accused of being wrong?
    Doesn't that ruin their life, their future?
    It matters. It matters to the victim.

So let the chips fall.
    Let him defend himself
    I would like to hear his answer to each and every accuser.

Yes, Proof is good.
    He should bring on his proof.
    I'm all ears.
    I want to know who is innocent.
    And who is bad.

JMO

15. BeginnersLuck

BeginnersLuck New Member

BBM: Would you not warn others that offended you, just because they were not charged or prosecuted for it?

16. ontheclock

ontheclock Member

Lying about an untrue crime - wrong.
    Reporting a true crime years later - a whole different matter.
    Not every crime can be proven or charged. Doesn't mean it didn't happen or that it violate's someone's liberties to bring the offense to light. JMO.

17. Blondie in Spokane

18. Slebby

Slebby Member

19. Slebby

Slebby Member

Victims in the Cosby Case Should be Supported, Believed
    - National Sexual Violence Resource Center

I would consider this group a credible authority on the subject of rape, IMO.

http://m.nsvrc.org/news/press-releases/victims-cosby-case-should-be-supported-believed

"The level of attention around high-profile cases makes it even more daunting to speak out, as victims fear the negative impact of media scrutiny and retaliation from the public or the accused.
    In some cases, victims may report what happened right away. In other cases, victims will remain silent for weeks, months or even years before discussing the assault. A delay in the reporting of a sexual assault has no bearing on the veracity of the allegations. In fact, false reporting is extremely rare."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. wendiesan

wendiesan Active Member

Somehow I missed reading this story when it was published back on December 3, 2014.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...escape-bill-cosby-apartment-article-1.2031639

The article, by journalist Meg Wagner, spells out an incident that happened in 1984. Tony Hogue, a male model with JF Images, says he rescued a booker with his company from what he believed was a very dangerous situation at BC's residence in Manhattan when they were in town from Denver for Fashion Week. I think Hogue makes clear the context--the power structure that surrounded BC, and certainly other influential men, at that time. The booker is one of the 12 Jane Does who came forward in support of the 2005 case.

Hogue says BC lived near the models' apartment and, after getting to know them. had offered to help "launch their careers"

One night he didn't join the others for a night out with BC and got a panic call from his friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.