Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death/ADAM SHACKNAI FOUND RESPONSIBLE #6

• San Diego Sheriff's Department to 'review' Rebecca Zahau case

April 16, 2018

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37970132/san-diego-sheriffs-department-to-review-rebecca-zahaucase

• Sheriff's Department to review Zahau death following civil trial decision

April 16, 2018

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/zahau-case/sd-me-zahau-review-20180416-story.html

• Sheriff’s Department to review Rebecca Zahau case

April 16, 2018

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/04/16/sheriffs-department-to-review-rebecca-zahau-case/

• San Diego County Sheriff's Department to undertake 'fresh review' of Zahau case

April 16, 2018

https://www.10news.com/news/san-die...tment-to-undertake-fresh-review-of-zahau-case

Well that's interesting. I'm still skeptical though.

The statement released Monday doesn’t retract the earlier statement about the Medical Examiner’s Office finding or say that the case is being reopened. Rather, it said evidence will be reviewed in light of how it was analyzed in court.

Gore is still insisting there is "no new evidence", which really isn't true, IMO. I don't think he will change his mind on this.

He also says the "review" should take about 90 days, enough to get him past election day.

Gore's statement, per links above

The Sheriff's Department has continually indicated its willingness to reevaluate the Rebecca Zahau case if new evidence was presented.

After a productive conversation with the family's attorney, Keith Greer, Sheriff Bill Gore determined that, while no new evidence was presented, new analysis of existing evidence was presented in the recently concluded civil trial. In the spirit of transparency and open-mindedness, we have agreed to undertake a fresh review of the case, by investigators who have had no prior involvement with the case, to evaluate the new information.

Without having the materials and reports from the civil attorney in front of us at this time, it is difficult to say how long this review will take; however, we expect it will take at least 90 days.

When our investigation is complete, we will meet with the family's attorney to discuss our findings. Ultimately, the cause and manner of death, in any case, is determined by the Medical Examiner. In San Diego County, the Medical Examiner's Office is an independent entity and separate from the Sheriff's Department.

ETA: There was a link in a post from a few hours ago that disappeared, so I'll add it here:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/sd-me-zahau-review-20180416-story.html

A “review” with a new set of eyes, conveniently during an election year. A year where there is an actual running mate promising to “reopen” Rebecca’s case. :back:
Okie dokie, Sheriff! :puke:

JMHO!

Myers criticized Gore for not revisiting the case Monday night.

"He's had the evidence for seven years," he said. "That's not changed. He's had the family asking him for seven years to look at it. But it took a civil trial, nine jurors and Dave Myers running for sheriff."
[FONT=&amp]
Gore did not respond to a request to respond to Myers on Monday night.

[/FONT]
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/sd-me-zahau-review-20180416-story.html[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

THIS :ditto:

"One of the collateral benefits of us having the civil verdict is that the public is now scrutinizing this and with that, the sheriff is really going to be compelled to do a bang-up job," Greer said. "Whatever decision he comes up with is going to have to be supported by the evidence and have to be explained and since we know the evidence so well, I'm very confident that when this group gets done looking at this evidence, they are not going to say it's suicide."

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/04/16/s...ca-zahau-case/

Greer is smart by saying this. Because of the civil suit verdict handed down, the Sheriff's office is opening themselves up to scrutiny with this review. They will need to really explain the reasoning for their decision of reopening this case. If they decide not to reopen, Greer has a ton of ammunition to throw at them because of the civil suit outcome. I know that the standards for a civil and criminal case are different, but Greer was able to get a jury to vote to hold Adam liable. And he did this using the very same evidence that the LE has already had all this time. Obviously this is a political move on Gore's part, but I am not so sure it is to his benefit. When they announce the results of their reviews, they will need to make explanations for every piece of evidence Greer has provided.

Greer has said that he will also be providing all trial records etc to LE. I am interested to see what the new ME will think once he looks at Dr. Wecht's autopsy results. The letter Wecht wrote explaining his reasons for his conclusions was very strong and a powerful tool that helped Greer tremendously in his closing. Just reading that letter made everything seem so clear and rational.

"One of the collateral benefits of us having the civil verdict is that the public is now scrutinizing this and with that, the sheriff is really going to be compelled to do a bang-up job," Greer said. "Whatever decision he comes up with is going to have to be supported by the evidence and have to be explained and since we know the evidence so well, I'm very confident that when this group gets done looking at this evidence, they are not going to say it's suicide."

http://fox5sandiego.com/2018/04/16/s...ca-zahau-case/

Greer is smart by saying this. Because of the civil suit verdict handed down, the Sheriff's office is opening themselves up to scrutiny with this review. They will need to really explain the reasoning for their decision of reopening this case. If they decide not to reopen, Greer has a ton of ammunition to throw at them because of the civil suit outcome. I know that the standards for a civil and criminal case are different, but Greer was able to get a jury to vote to hold Adam liable. And he did this using the very same evidence that the LE has already had all this time. Obviously this is a political move on Gore's part, but I am not so sure it is to his benefit. When they announce the results of their reviews, they will need to make explanations for every piece of evidence Greer has provided.

Greer has said that he will also be providing all trial records etc to LE. I am interested to see what the new ME will think once he looks at Dr. Wecht's autopsy results. The letter Wecht wrote explaining his reasons for his conclusions was very strong and a powerful tool that helped Greer tremendously in his closing. Just reading that letter made everything seem so clear and rational.

It would appear that Gore is between a Rock and a hard place. And when you factor in that the Republican Party is NOT endorsing him in the upcoming election...........

Anyone on the “new team” reviewing the evidence is going to be under tremendous (unspoken) pressure to reach the same conclusion of suicide as before. I don’t see that there is any way they will feel comfortable disgracing Gore (unless they’re all on Team Myers). The evidence should be looked at by an independent agency with no ties to Gore and no prior detailed knowledge of the case. But I guess this is a start, as Greer said.
JMO

How common is it to win a wrongful death civil suit, when there are no criminal charges and the cause of death is determined to be a suicide by LE? And does anyone know if it is common for wrongful death suits to lead to criminal charges?

Anyone on the “new team” reviewing the evidence is going to be under tremendous (unspoken) pressure to reach the same conclusion of suicide as before. I don’t see that there is any way they will feel comfortable disgracing Gore (unless they’re all on Team Myers). The evidence should be looked at by an independent agency with no ties to Gore and no prior detailed knowledge of the case. But I guess this is a start, as Greer said.
JMO

Isn’t there a new Chief Medical Examiner for San Diego County, Dr. Glenn Wagner? Will he be part of the “new team” reviewing old and new evidence? If so, perhaps he will conclude the findings warrant a re-opening of the case. I also believe an independent agency should be involved in reviewing the case. JMO

Isn’t there a new Chief Medical Examiner for San Diego County, Dr. Glenn Wagner? Will he be part of the “new team” reviewing old and new evidence? If so, perhaps he will conclude the findings warrant a re-opening of the case. I also believe an independent agency should be involved in reviewing the case. JMO

Gore made a point of saying that the medical examiner’s department is totally separate from SDSO, and that his original findings about manner and cause of death would stand, as I understood him. So I doubt he’d automatically be part of the new team. I hope Greer can arrange for him to take a look at both the original AR and Wecht’s.

Regarding an independent agency, I view it as similar to getting a second and third opinion for a medical diagnosis. I would prefer to use doctors in completely separate practices so that I’m confident they aren’t put in the position of disagreeing (or just agreeing) with a colleague with whom they work closely. I’m not saying doctors do this, but I want a totally fresh set of eyes with no connection to anyone who made the original diagnosis. The same thing is needed with this review of evidence IMO. Otherwise it won’t fly if they still come up with suicide without a better explanation than the original.

Since Medicis is no longer in existence, there should not be any phone calls from JS asking LE to "hurry up" with a suicide ruling...........IMO

..Myers questioned whether the public will be able to trust the sheriff’s second review of the evidence, given the outcome of the first one.

“How transparent will the re-look be? How is he going to assure the public it’ll be truly fair?” Myers asked. “The family asked me if I would be part of the team to look at it. That is up to the sheriff. I doubt that’s going to happen.”

[...]

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...me-zahau-sheriff-campaign-20180417-story.html

JMO

ITA. Any SDSO personnel who review the case still have Gore as their boss. I doubt if any of them will be too eager to say, "Hey Boss, you really screwed this up" if they like their jobs.

Window dressing, nothing more.

Back in 2013 when the Coronado Police Chief retired, Mrs. Bill Gore presented him with a Game Of Clue, customized with information about both Max and Rebecca’s deaths, which she had created herself. She made this presentation at a retirement party, which was attended by about 200 people, and read aloud from this game that she had created. She and her sheriff husband were laughing throughout this presentation. Most people looked around nervously, as though they were disgusted and looking for the nearest exit, I regret not confronting both she and Sheriff Gore to dress them down in public for their unacceptable behavior.

I had to read Inparadise post about Mrs. Gore twice --- what awful event to witness! However, it's making more sense after learning more about her background, and how she met her husband. It was 1976 when she was among the first 50 female FBI Agents in the country:

".....Graduating 14½ weeks later, with her newly issued gun in her purse, Gore was assigned to the FBI office in Seattle, making her the first female agent in Washington state. In the small office of 40 agents, she was called upon to do everything from responding to bomb threats and bank robberies to solo nighttime surveillances of suspects and background checks of FBI applicants.

She often posed undercover, sometimes as a wife or girlfriend, and once, as a bank teller during a harrowing bank heist. The robber, alarmed by a phone ringing at Gore’s desk, turned and trained his gun on her before running out the door.

Gore, who was instructed via walkie-talkie to stay inside the bank to ensure the suspect didn’t run back in to take hostages, heard shots ring out. Told to drop his weapon, the robber drew his gun and was fatally shot by agents outside, one of whom Gore was marrying in two weeks........"

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-academy-grad-natalie-gore-2010jul24-story.html

Adam Shacknai issued a statement via his legal representation shortly after Sheriff Gore made his decision public to review the case.

"I was in no way involved with Rebecca's death, which was part of a tragic sequence of events, that also involved the loss of my six-year nephew Max. I will be pleased to assist the investigation in any way requested, as I have all along."

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...aus-Death-at-Spreckles-Mansion-479935363.html

When they approach the review with this statement you know already what they will say at the end. It's disingenuous IMO.

When our investigation is complete, we will meet with the family’s attorney to discuss our findings,” McClain said. “Ultimately, the cause and manner of death, in any case, is determined by the Medical Examiner.”

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...heriff-agrees-to-review-rebecca-zahaus-death/

IMO, it reads as a disclaimer. When the investigative “review” is over will they even take it to the ME’s office? The ME can accept or decline. If declined, then it is no longer on Gore’s back, it is on the ME. Is this a situation where someone is going to be thrown under the bus? Take the fall? I agree, it feels extremely disingenuous. JMO.

Gore, Myers — opponents in sheriff's race — disagree on Zahau case as 'political issue'

April 17, 2018

SNIP-

Sheriff Bill Gore’s decision to take a new look at the Rebecca Zahau death investigation is not a political issue for his re-election campaign, he said Tuesday.

“It’s about being open-minded,” the sheriff said in an interview. “That’s fair to the family.”

His political opponent, sheriff’s Cmdr. Dave Myers, countered that “It’s absolutely a political issue.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...me-zahau-sheriff-campaign-20180417-story.html

I do not think this is an accurate statement from Sheriff Gore. I believe the blood evidence on the steak knife WAS new evidence. The evidence was always there, but not tested by any of the 4 agencies, correct?

As Mr. Greer has said, there is no new evidence,” Gore said. “The jury interpreted the evidence differently.”

It's one thing after another for Sheriff Gore

April 18, 2018

SNIP-

The Zahau verdict two weeks ago jolted San Diego’s legal and law enforcement communities. A Superior Court jury in the wrongful death civil trial concluded that Rebecca Zahau didn’t commit suicide at a Coronado mansion in 2011 and that her boyfriend’s brother, Adam Shacknai, is legally responsible for her death. The jury said he must pay more than $5 million to her family.

Not many were predicting such an outcome based on the evidence presented at the trial, but also because the Sheriff’s Department investigation determined Zahau hung herself. The standard of proof and number of juror votes needed to reach a verdict for such a civil case is less than in a criminal murder trial.

People started asking: Did they botch the investigation?

The Sheriff’s Department made matters worse by issuing a terse reaction to the jury’s verdict.

“We completed a comprehensive and professional investigation and stand behind it. We have no further comment about this civil lawsuit,” Lt. Karen Stubkjaer said in a statement.

Someone within Gore’s ranks realized how this tin-ear response sounded because they eventually came out with a more nuanced and sensitive statement.

“In regards to the criminal investigation, the Sheriff's Department stands by the findings of the Medical Examiner's Office and our investigators. These findings were supported by forensic evidence and medical examinations,” the second statement said.

“We are always open to reviewing any evidence that could impact our conclusions. Additionally, we are also willing to meet with the Zahau Family to look at any new evidence that came out of the civil trial,” the statement said.

On Monday, Gore opened up a review of the case.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...molens/sd-me-smolens-gore-20180413-story.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68
Back