Identified! Remains found ID'd as man who died in 1885-Markland Stanton

I guess it's never too late to ID someone!

Police determine body was that of man who died in 1885

by The Saginaw News Tuesday September 09, 2008, 6:42 AM

ITHACA -- Scientists determined that excavators disturbed the 123-year slumber of Markland Stanton.

More at link...

http://www.mlive.com/saginawnews/news/index.ssf/2008/09/police_determine_body_was_that.html

Why didn't they just let him "Rest In Peace"? From the article I got the impression it was known he was buried on his property. Geesh.

Why didn't they just let him "Rest In Peace"? From the article I got the impression it was known he was buried on his property. Geesh.

I know, that's what I thought. I only posted it to show that sometimes no matter how long a person can be dead, their remains can be identified. It sounded like that was supposed to be his final resting place.

p.s. I also thought they used some other means of identifying him other than just assuming it was him because it was his land. When the forensics team examined the bones at Michigan State, I first thought it was an ID based on DNA. I don't see how they can conclusively identify him just because it was his property. If they find a relative, they really should do DNA just to compare.

I think it's sad that they disturbed his resting place only to stick him in the sheriff's evidence room until a descendent can be found! What kind of society have we become that we would do this? Sometimes I think the native american's have it right... a burial ground should be sacred.

This does seem highly disrespectful. If for some reason the remains had to be removed, authorities should at the least take whatever DNA samples may be needed, then re-inter the remains somewhere proper as soon as possible.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I got the impression that they found the remains and used property history to find out who's remains they were. When they read that Stanton was buried on his property, they concluded that this was him.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I got the impression that they found the remains and used property history to find out who's remains they were. When they read that Stanton was buried on his property, they concluded that this was him.

That's my undestanding also, and that the remains are being held until an ancestor is located to claim them.
It's just my opinion that this gentleman should be buried, with dignity, as soon as possible....Maybe the local historical society will step forward to assist.

That's my undestanding also, and that the remains are being held until an ancestor is located to claim them.
It's just my opinion that this gentleman should be buried, with dignity, as soon as possible....Maybe the local historical society will step forward to assist.

Most likely he WAS buried with dignity - once. Over time the marker may have deteriorated and the grave was lost. At least I'm hoping they didn't dig where they knew there were remains. BUT, why should a relative have to step forward and claim them? The man was buried, a known burial, on his own property. Why can't he stay where he was buried?

My understanding of the whole thing was that there was no marker there and they determined it was him according to who owned the land at that time. I understood these remains were accidentally discovered when there was excavating being done and they determined who it was when they found out who owned the land, and when the Forensics Dept. at Michigan State said the bones were compatible with someone who died during the 1800s. I think he should just be reburied too. The only reason I brought up the suggestion of doing DNA is what if it isn't Mr. Stanton? It's possible someone could have been murdered and buried there. In that case, they should try to find a direct descendant. That may sound ridiculous but if I came across remains with no marker I would certainly have that possibility looked into. This is also going to sound stupid probably but from reading about crimes all the time, whenever I hear the word "remains" I immediately think murder. Even though public records show Mr. Stanton was buried on his property it's possible that someone else could have been buried there.

But if they are absolutely positive and completely satisfied that the remains belong to Markland Stanton, and no further investigation needs to be done, then they should rebury him ASAP AND put a marker up so something like this doesn't happen again.

The thing is, though, that trying to use DNA to identify the body might not even be possible. It's a lot harder to identify someone through a DNA comparison to, say, their great-great grandchild than it is to their mother or brother or child, and Stanton may have no descendants living at all. And even on the remote chance that this was the body of some murder victim from over a century ago, everyone involved is now deceased. No suspects can be arrested, no relatives are still grieving, etc. I think they did the sensible thing by using the land records to determine the probable identity and leaving it at that. Perhaps, because of whatever the property is being used for now, Stanton can't simply be reburied. I hope he does get buried again, somewhere, soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back