Remembering Sheila and Katherine

40 Years Ago...

This month marks 40 years since Sheila and Katherine Lyon went missing.

Richard Thanks for all your post very informative. I was 9 years old and lived in Silver Spring when this occured will never forget it. Has there been any updates to the POA who claims he was in the car with the Lyon Sisters on 25mar1975 and do have any feelings on his claims??

Richard Thanks for all your post very informative. I was 9 years old and lived in Silver Spring when this occured will never forget it. Has there been any updates to the POA who claims he was in the car with the Lyon Sisters on 25mar1975 and do have any feelings on his claims??

This is a case which will remain forever etched in the minds of those who experienced it in 1975, and others who have come to learn of it since.

To my knowledge, there have not been any official police updates on the case for the past few weeks. There was, however, a Washington Post article which appeared in this past Satruday's Metro Section, written by Dan Morse. In it, he summarizes the case - which he has been following rather closely over the past year. There is a link to his article in the Thread on Links and Media here in the Lyon case topic.

In the article, Mr. Morse mentions the MCP investigators who are working on the case, but states that they could not comment on the case at the time.

I wish that I could see their case file and read what Lloyd Welch has actually told investigators. It appears from recent news articles and police statements that Lloyd Welch actually contacted MCP on Tuesday, 1 April 1975 to state that he had information on the case. He stated at that time that he had seen the girls get into a car with a man unknown to him. Police questioned him and gave him a polygraph test and concluded that he was lying, and disregarded his information until 2013 when they found his 1975 interview summary in their files.

Whether they simply ran across that interview summary or were pointed to it by other information or through a possible witness, I do not know.

Investigators began to visit and question Lloyd Welch in his Delaware Prison in 2013. According to a summary they wrote to obtain search warrants, they claim that Lloyd had subsequently stated that he had actually gotten into the car with the girls, and that also present in the car were his Uncle, Richard Welch, and his 11 year-old cousin, Thomas T. Welch II.

Those police statements indicate that Lloyd claimed that he was dropped off at his house (presumably on Baltimore Ave in Hyattsville, MD) and that his uncle continued on with the girls. Some time later, the police statements indicate, Lloyd went to his Uncle's house (again presumably in Hyattsville) and walked in on his Uncle in the act of molesting one of the girls. The Police document states that Lloyd claimed to have never seen the girls after that.

MCP declared Lloyd Welch, Jr. a "Person of Interest" in the case in February 2014. His uncle, Richard Welch, Sr. was later (in October 2014) declared a Person of Interest as well.

Without seeing all that is in MCP files, or without knowing what leads the current investigators are pursuing, I am at a loss to comment on their efforts. I certainly hope that they are on the right track and that this and potentially other related cases might soon be resolved.

This coming Wednesday will mark the 40 year anniversary of the girls' disappearance. I know that many people are thinking of the girls and praying for a conclusion to this very long and sad case.

wow 40 years can not grasp how this could happen on a bright spring day at a crowded shopping area without anyone seeing or hearing anything. Now 40 years we may be getting close to some answers hopefully. MHO Mr Welch is not being truthful about seeing or being in the car that fateful day. I hope I am wrong.

Today is the 40 year anniversary of the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon.

They were last seen at Wheaton Plaza shopping center in early afternoon of 25 March 1975.

They never made it home.

Today is the 40 year anniversary of the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon.

That's why I'm here. I was looking at their "Charley Project" pages again and I had completely forgotten that they disappeared just days before their birthdays. Sheila's birthday is March 30 (in 5 days) and Katherine's birthday is March 29 (in 4 days). This is just such a sad case. :( I really hope this is the year we find out what happened. Their family deserves to know.

40 years. With another dig underway right now, I hope we all (most importantly the Lyon family) get answers soon.

I hope they find them. I can't imagine how this mother has suffered all these years. I just pray they get some answers.

40 years ago on 25march I am very dissappointed that no local MD news outlets carried anything on this story. Some coverage in Va news becasue they again are searching Taylor mountain. Hoping to find truth real soon.

40 years ago on 25march I am very dissappointed that no local MD news outlets carried anything on this story. Some coverage in Va news becasue they again are searching Taylor mountain. Hoping to find truth real soon.

I was wondering if maybe the family requested no news covered in Maryland.
But, I was disappointed too as I kept waiting while watching the news in the evening on channel 5 Fox, (WTTG) and channel 4, NBC (WRC).

I understand if it was the family's wishes.

I think the 50th anniversary in ten years might be the worst for the family since a lot of media do anniversary coverage stuff on big milestones like 25th, 50th etc.

I was wondering if maybe the family requested no news covered in Maryland.
But, I was disappointed too as I kept waiting while watching the news in the evening on channel 5 Fox, (WTTG) and channel 4, NBC (WRC).

I understand if it was the family's wishes.

They have said that they wish the media would stop doing the anniversary articles. Can't remember which one said it though.

They have said that they wish the media would stop doing the anniversary articles. Can't remember which one said it though.

I can certainly understand that. They must be agonizing. Those and age progression drawings of missing children--I don't how a parent could handle seeing one of those, a reminder of everything that was taken away. Everything the child might have been, gone.

Thinking of Sheila and Kate with tears.
What do we know about their likes and dislikes and their personalities?

I was invited to a sleepover at their house when I was little. My family had just moved to Silver Spring from Ohio, for my stepdad to enroll in a doctoral program at AU. I don't remember very much about the sleepover, except they had a pretty extravagant play set, a track of some sort, in the back yard. Also, I drank too much chlorinated water, got sick to my tummy, and their mom, or dad, was very kind. Their home was a caring one.

When the kids were taken, my parents only told us not to be afraid, that nearly all kidnappings are parental custody disputes. Well, they certainly did find a creative way to tell the truth to keep us from being afraid, even if it wasn't applicable to this situation. It allowed me to keep my happy but brief memories of the family.

I hope the girls and their parents didn't have only suffering in their lives after this happened. My memories of their family remain fond.

It is hard to believe that on Friday, March 25, 2016,
it will mark 41 years since the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon.

I truly hope that with the advancements in technology since 1975,
such as DNA testing and other things--that this case will be unraveled and if there are any other connections to this case, that they too will be solved.

After 41 years...still waiting and praying for Kate,Sheila and the Lyon family.:praying:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back