Report on 911 tape

Shylock said:
... IMO, Patsy had to "restrain" herself all night long - all through the staging - all through the note composition. The 911 call was Patsy FINALLY getting to release the emotion of her daughter being dead.

I agree. I didn't have time earlier to further clarify this important point.

In the shock and aftermath of JonBenet's death, Patsy went into "survival" mode and did what she felt she had to do in order to keep her family together and cover-up reality.

Even though I believe Patsy wrote the ransom note, and staged a "kidnapping" crime scene including the 911 call, I DO NOT believe Patsy was devoid of emotion, especially in reference to JonBenet.

As far as Patsy could love, Patsy "loved" JonBenet. I'm sure she was devastated at the loss of her little girl. But Patsy had to tamp that emotion down until she could set the stage for the cover-up of what really happened.

We see this in the ransom note that starts off so formally, and then progresses into familiarity and ridiculous "inside" jokes and taunts from movies. The ransom note starts very controlled but loses that control. By the end of the note, it has become much more relaxed and less cohesive.

This is indicative of Patsy's mind set. She had mustered all her emotional, physical and mental resources to the task, but the longer she wrote, the more it threatened the discipline she had put on herself to get through the trauma. The ransom note began to unravel as Patsy's self imposed emotional, physical and mental control began to unravel. Even the actual writing became looser and less controlled.

At the time of the 911 call, Patsy's pychological state was probably one of near desperation to maintain control of the "kidnapping script" she had written. She was afraid that letting go would jeopardize everything, but the emotion she felt was just below the surface. At this point in time, Patsy's mind is almost in a split state of survival/control and one of encompassing grief and meltdown.

IMO

Great thought provoking posts here.

I lean toward more of the faking of emotion. The reason? One thing I learned in Drama was to hyperventilate to emote hysteria. It's the hyperventilating that seems fake to me.

I have always thought when she yells "Oh my God" out of the blue it's because she saw Burke. For some reason that surprised her at that moment and knew she would have to tell him something.

Tricia said:
I have always thought when she yells "Oh my God" out of the blue it's because she saw Burke. For some reason that surprised her at that moment and knew she would have to tell him something.
That's an interesting thought, because I always figured that the reason she hung up was Burke showed up and started asking questions. I think she panicked at the thought the 911 operator might hear Burke in the background.

Shylock said:
That's an interesting thought, because I always figured that the reason she hung up was Burke showed up and started asking questions. I think she panicked at the thought the 911 operator might hear Burke in the background.

That's right. She says, "Oh my God" toward the end of the tape. So both of us could be right.

Tricia said:
Great thought provoking posts here.

I lean toward more of the faking of emotion. The reason? One thing I learned in Drama was to hyperventilate to emote hysteria. It's the hyperventilating that seems fake to me.

I agree, Tricia. Like I mentioned before, I thought Patsy's "heavy" breathing during the 911 call was a little overdone.

This is the part that's difficult to explain. I think Patsy's 911 call was staged and Patsy was acting the part of a mother whose daughter had been kidnapped ... at least, how Patsy thought it should be played.

I think she had it planned out how she wanted it to go, and didn't want any deviation from the script. Her emotions were on edge, and she tapped into that emotion to help make the call believable.

My previous point was to say ... Patsy had an agenda of making the 911 operator believe there had been a kidnapping. She needed the police to believe that more than anything. The ransom note and the 911 call were really the only tools Patsy had to explain JonBenet's dead body in her basement.

Tricia said:

I've wondered that same thing myself. Like I said before, she didn't want Burke there while she was on the phone with the operator. It's obvious Burke being there while Patsy talked to the 911 operator was NOT part of her script, and it threw her for a loop. Patsy's immediate response was to hang up on the 911 operator who was desperately calling her name.

IMO

Burke didn't just appear during Patsy's 911 call. He was already there.

Burke had to have been there for awhile during the 911 call or John wouldn't have barked at him in a loud voice "WE'RE NOT TALKING TO YOU!" That remark implies there had been previous conversation among John, Patsy, and Burke.

And it also implies John wasn't interested in finding out the whereabouts of JonBenet from Burke -- John was pissed off at Burke for something Burke had done.

And since John wasn't interested in finding out from Burke where JonBenet was, then John must have already known where she was.

JMO

Cherokee said:
Sissi, your hatred of Steve Thomas is palatable, but it doesn't change the facts.

Actually , I don't read Sissi declaring hate for Thomas just that he is a liar and he profited from his FIRST Murder Case.

Personally, I think he is an idiot but, that of course is palatable. :p

The fact is that until Patsy or John steps up and tells LE who they were covering for its a moot subject.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back